Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+149
Ahhotep1
SlothAlmighty
skarekrow13
Shakie666
Phenetylaminos
HereticForLife
Wilkinson3424
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
diddle
Fayt
GravelordZealot
SATLOS
Mireneye
PhlyingDutchman
jaythibodeau
ChizFreak
Emergence
Sentiel
steveswede
Serafiem
SadPanda
Thuggernaut
StiffNipples
FreeSergey
GenericUsername
DxV04
phastings
DyingAce
chaos4ever181
Buttcheekofdeth
Halicarnassis
vixder/pennywise
bloodpixel
Dessembrae
MrDynogames
morte
Dibsville
ser-john
vegan666
User1
xtal84
garrettegge
Jester's Tears
Z3nMast3r
Rayko
ollebsson
jimmyc0341
Ashran
dragonbeast6
RedderAI
The Once-Ler
Gyonimizotetsu
Slarg232
Acarnatia
Oh_the_Humanity
Shkar
Derpwraith
amaro57
ublug
MrMan
Agent Talon
CaptanSpudsy
Forum Pirate
Sargerus
dormancy
reim0027
ExecutionerTri
MasterofShadows
ComaPrison
ak1287
X-government-agent
bosslugger
Strigoi
Mr. Tart
Sloth9230
GkMrBane
Infighter
dancash1808
ViralEnsign_
Yukon
Qawdz
chuck woolery
Soulbreak
MagisterM
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BartholomewWenceslas
Aevun
>Brave<
Macromute
defacto
Tomhet
Phoenix Rising
Kerberos-013
CaligoIllioneus
sciicers
Back Lot Basher
Seignar
FexDS
carlucio
BIG TIME MASTER
FruitPunchNinja
Zechk
DE5PA1R
callipygias
Forcefed
PlasticandRage
RANT
Rainraey
dianaduh
Frostacar
F3N.R1R
TehInfamousAmos
Onion Knight
Ser Isaac
Major_kenny
Nightmare Moon
Juutas
raecor14
passivefamiliar
Marino.
Ghiblier
bart95
The Letter X
Serious_Much
iGBx
Sal Paradise
Bamjam
new deal
The_Hallion
Dogwelder
Tolvo
Spurgun
hageshisa
mugenis4real
XachAttack
Rarayn
Everynevers
eminusx
LordSolaire
Derpin_Errday
jankenneth_10
Espada Muerta
Argetlam350
Noob-of-Artorias
cloudyeki
Icegodzilla
DoughGuy
Shindori
Anonymous Proxy
153 posters

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 8 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 pm

The Demon's Souls Trailer features actual Gameplay, and Neither Dark Nor Demon's Glorify the player character.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 8 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:44 pm

carlucio wrote:What this trailer clearly shows is that the game is receiving much more investment than the previous, i think the pressure for sales will increase at the same proportion, if you agree with me then imagine this:

Imagine that 8 in 10 players hate,avoid or are afraid of games with mechanics like griefing, unclear paths, perma death, few checkpoint and many other punitive, hardcore mechanics you may imagine, the other 2 players in 10 loves it and would buy your game blindly, but you invested so much money on the game that 2 of 10 players won't pay for it, as a company how would you deal with that? would you start chopping those mechanics one by one trying to make the game more appealing to a wider audience? i think that's what From Software would do, and i'm worried.

I would say that Call of Dutys online appears to consist of a lot of griefing, TES:Skyrim doesn't exactly have a clear path, and Souls games don't have perma death.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Skyrim has waypoints and a main quest that tell you exactly where to go. Activate a quest, and on your map and your little radar it tells you exactly where to go.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Tolvo wrote:The Demon's Souls Trailer features actual Gameplay, and Neither Dark Nor Demon's Glorify the player character.

Well, I'm not gonna get into a lengthy debate over nothing, but I think you guys are overreacting, and I am concerned for the sake of your hollow souls.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:49 pm

I could say you guys are under-reacting and that I worry for your hollow souls.
    EDIT: Scratch that, I think you guys are just over-reacting in turn.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, what goes around comes around.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I think that the "protagonist" of the video is the firstborn of Gwyn, departing from Anor Londo.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I just hope the player character isn't the Firstborn or anything like that. It would remove the roleplaying aspect from people who want to play as a female character.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Tolvo wrote:The Demon's Souls Trailer features actual Gameplay, and Neither Dark Nor Demon's Glorify the player character.

I would bet money that the character in the trailer is just the Knight/Warrior starting class. Also, there was a little bit of focus on the "hero" but not that much. Here's a quote from the start of both Demon's and Dark Souls.

DeS: "But Boletaria has one final hope. A lone Warrior who has braved the baneful fog...Has this land found its saviour, or have the Demon's found a new slave?" A lot more like that early on in the monumentals dialogue too.

DkS: "Only, in the ancient legends it is stated, that one day an Undead shall be chosen...to leave the Undead Asylum, in pilgrimage, to the land of the ancient lords"

DkS2:"You are of the undead, forever without hope, forever without light"

I don't know, i know Fromsoft mentioned "a new hero". Not trying to argue, just putting all those all in one spot to compare them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm

See I don't mind the Undead, forever without hope line. I really like stuff like that, but the mention of a hero. That just doesn't sit well with me. I prefer if morality is not even brought up. From Dark Souls I always got it as more of, "Hey you are fighting for yourself. These enemies, good or bad, are in your way. You will reach your objective or die. It isn't about good or bad, it's about death and life." But hero? That's a bad sign to me.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Just wanted to clarify that there have been declarations by the new director that the game will be more accesible and simple, but he was referring not to difficulty, but to gameplay mechanics and to lore.
    MagisterM
    MagisterM

Post by MagisterM Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man. The Demon's trailer, while it does show gameplay, also glorifies the player character. Throughout the trailer he is surrounded by enemies. I find it to be epic. You're never surrounded by that many enemies in the entire series, nor does the Dragon God siege the castle walls. It's an exaggeration of the gameplay experience.

Sure, the trailer for Dark Souls II is more focused on the character's journey and expression but that is just cinematic marketing flair. The trailer -could- just as well be representing the gameplay* and most certainly the scale of exploration. We don't know yet because we need to see more.

There are a lot of similarities between the Demon's trailer and this one actually, they both seem to end on dragons and focus on combat. They both have opening sentences that may define the game's story too (too early to tell on the DSII trailer but it's inclusion seems promising to me). Also, the soundtrack on the trailer sounds like Emi Evans, who did the theme of the DS credits, which just adds to the authentic quality of the trailer to me.

I do understand your concern, I just don't feel that we should be so grave about it this early on.

(*There is some duel wield action going on. silly )
    (* & exploring by torchlight Joy )

Edited: Just wanted to apologise Tolvo, I was comparing the DSII trailer to the opening cinematic of Demon's Souls and not Demon's original trailer like you said. The two cinematics have similar aspects and that was what I was getting at - as for the Demon's trailer, yeah, a lot of actual gameplay is present unlike in the DSII opening trailer.

Sorry for the misinterpretation! I got carried away. Proper Bow

Last edited by MagisterM on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 pm

We really don't know enough about this game to be THIS negative about it. We really should wait for more concrete info before saying how awful/great the game is... :|
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Just wanted to clarify that there have been declarations by the new director that the game will be more accesible and simple, but he was referring not to difficulty, but to gameplay mechanics and to lore.

Gameplay mechanics and lore that we like, most people are not fans of Dark souls because of it's difficulty, but because things like that, i enjoyed a lot watching ENB and other guys videos on youtube.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I just don't see much of a difference between "Saviour","Chosen Undead", and "Hero". Especially since it is being translated from Japanese. I think they just mean we wont be playing as the same undead as we did in Dark Souls 1.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:08 pm

We are talking about a developer that has a reputation of bending over backwards for its fans. I am pretty sure its safe to say they will be making changes with a delicate hand to avoid offending who they have but while also bringing in fresh blood.

I agree that its way too early to be worried about anything at this point, not that that will calm the storm at all. Every game forum I have been on during the announcement of a remake or a new addition gets this way. All we can do is wait and see no point working ourselves into a tissy.

Tolvo, I think the reason there is no game play in this video is because of how young it is, we don't even have a release date yet and it's been announced while dark souls (i) is just over one year old. I'm sure further along we'll be seeing more action and less CGI, my only hope is they don't put dialogue in animated cut scenes at all.. I really would prefer to keep them quiet and to a minimal, mostly just used to spice up atmosphere.

I also hope they don't fool with Americas pre-order specials this time around either. But for the most part I am optimistic, at worst being stunned at how fast they are churning out another souls game.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Yukon wrote:We are talking about a developer that has a reputation of bending over backwards for its fans. I am pretty sure its safe to say they will be making changes with a delicate hand to avoid offending who they have but while also bringing in fresh blood.

I agree that its way too early to be worried about anything at this point, not that that will calm the storm at all. Every game forum I have been on during the announcement of a remake or a new addition gets this way. All we can do is wait and see no point working ourselves into a tissy.

Tolvo, I think the reason there is no game play in this video is because of how young it is, we don't even have a release date yet and it's been announced while dark souls (i) is just over one year old. I'm sure further along we'll be seeing more action and less CGI, my only hope is they don't put dialogue in animated cut scenes at all.. I really would prefer to keep them quiet and to a minimal, mostly just used to spice up atmosphere.

I also hope they don't fool with Americas pre-order specials this time around either. But for the most part I am optimistic, at worst being stunned at how fast they are churning out another souls game.

From what I heard he only participated in Monter Hunter games and some thing called Ultima.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:40 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Yukon wrote:We are talking about a developer that has a reputation of bending over backwards for its fans. I am pretty sure its safe to say they will be making changes with a delicate hand to avoid offending who they have but while also bringing in fresh blood.

From what I heard he only participated in Monter Hunter games and some thing called Ultima.

That sounds like a damn good track record to me. That is surprising cause i always thought of Ultima as a western rpg(i don't think he was involved in it much at all, it was years before he worked on any other big titles). He worked on(didn't direct) Monster Hunter & Monster Hunter Freedom 2, also Resident Evil:Outbreak(LoL).

The other guy, doesn't seem to have much experience.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Guys...what if the new Dark Souls is gonna have...quests?
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Juutas wrote:Guys...what if the new Dark Souls is gonna have...quests?

Dark Souls already have "quests". But they are just dialogues, without any UI saying you have a quest. They could be called scripted events, but they are quests after all. Think of Siegmeyer, and the Crest Fallen Warrior.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:23 pm

As long as I don't have a quests tab.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Juutas wrote:Guys...what if the new Dark Souls is gonna have...quests?

Quest like the Siegmeyer storyline or quests like in skyrim?

I want more of the first, i would kill myself if they add the second, not that quest are a bad thing, but i just don't want cars in my flight simulator.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Ok, i was curious so i decided to do some digging.

Tomohiro Shibuya

-Apparently he was part of a company that was outsourced to do CG for Capcom games, called D.A.G(Digital Artists Guild)
    -He was their Chief Designer
    -Games included Monster Hunter(2004),Monster Hunter Freedom 2(2007), and Resident Evil:Outbreak(2004)
    -He was listed as a "Backround Artist" for Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits(2003)
    -I could not for the life of me find the end credits for any version of Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss(1993). Something tells me this was one of his first jobs in gaming, and that he was involved with the Ps1 port of the game.

Yui Tanimura

-All i could find on this guy is that he was "planning assistant/planning staff" for Armored Core 2(2000)and Armored Core 2: Another Age(2001).

Have to admit, the lack of directing experience or anything major is surprising. Fromsoft must have some reason to choose them, i assume they have talent.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Who Yui Tanimura? Where do they relate him to Dark Souls 2 development?

And Fruit, the worst part is that Tomohiro was never related to Souls developing, he is new in the series when it comes to develop, even though he is a From Software employee.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Well i assume Fromsoft isn't just letting some guys they have no faith in be in charge of arguably their biggest franchise(armored core is pretty popular). These guys could just be some talented game developers who haven't got their chance to shine.

Before Miyazaki got to be director for Armored Core 4, he wasn't known for anything. Hes only directed 4 games(AC4,AC4:FA,DeS,and DkS), before that his only listed experience is "planning assistant" for one Armored Core game.

This just makes me more excited to see what is said in this upcoming edge interview. Oh, Tanimura is also "directing" not just Shibuya i guess. Although all that has been said is "Shibuya and Yui Tanimura replace former game director Hidetaka Miyazaki."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am