Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Balder Knights

JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Balder Knights Empty Balder Knights

Post by JY4answer Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm

As many and varied the enemies are in Dark Souls, I find I like the knights of Balder best. In terms of functionality, aesthetics, and lore.

First off, the weapons. A lot of people, like me, love the Balder Side Sword. Functional, felxible, and looks cool. These people also wonder why this is the 'side sword' and the rapier is the main weapon though. I haven't studied weaponology before, nor do I know anyone doing that, but here's a theory. The side sword is sturdy and long, has a sharp tip and edge, making it great for slashing and thrusting in combat. But its heavy. It can pierce armor and slash enemies, but you won't be able to use it for long. Slashing is also rather useless when your opponent has armor, so thrusting your weapon through metal plates is your best bet. With a weapon that size, you won't be able to try too many times before your weapon arm goes numb. Rapiers, made for thrusting through armor, are light and sharp, good for quick thrusts without too much effort. They are, however, very fragile. Rapiers were made for duels, and were not meant to last. English knights would have a new rapier made for every single duel, as they easily chip, bend, or even snap. This makes it great for a duel, but useless in battles were there are multiple enemies. The fragile weapon won't survive a second thrust through metal armor, hence, the side sword. The Balder knights probably used the rapiers for duels, and even battle, but as soon as it spoils, their side swords come into play. Heavier but stronger than a rapier, the Balder Side Sword will last through battle and stay functional. Not ideal for duels, but very suitable for fighting multiple enemies and slashing beasts or unarmored hollows. Their armor are also popular, but sadly for the wrong reasons. Functionally, they weigh similar to knight armor pieces, but provide little poise. It is also very visually vulnerable to being hollow, if you’re slightly disturbed by it like me.

Lore-wise, we all know that Balder knights followed the knight king Rendal to the top of Sen's fortress, and that the land of Balder was plagued by hollows and was left to ruins. Acidic_cook also suggested that the land of Balder is near, or perhaps even within Astora, due to tjhe Prince Rickard in Sen’s fortress wearing the same armor as Oscar of Astora. With the knight armor and elite knight armor so similar, it’s safe to say that knights (as in the starting class) are also from Astora. Why then, do knights from Balder wear different armor? Is it the standard in Blader, or is it uniformal armor for a class, and knight armor are for the average knights? (or the other way round)

Last thing would be location. Why did the Blader knights and knight king Rendal go to the church/chapel in the Undead Parish, and Sen’s Fortress next to it? To keep their undead king safe from hollows? (until they all turned hollow themselves, of course)

These knights are right in front of your eyes, yet so mysterious, just like evrything else in Dark Souls.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Balder Knights Empty Re: Balder Knights

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Epic has a lore video with a section on the balder knights you may want to check out. I posted it in the lore section under the heading "For the Lore Nuts..."

As far as your rapier and side sword theory well... here it goes.

The rapier was invented shortly after the Mail Breaker likely in Italy in the early to mid 1500's. These weapons were often edge less featuring a long triangular or circular rod with a sharp point. The weapons rendered plate armor and chainmail nearly useless with their ability to puncture it with ease. Rapiers were actually quite sturdy in comparison with other swords due to their construction and allowed for more complicated and fluid counters and parries.

The side sword is a sword carried as a backup, often times smaller and lighter than a standard longsword. It simply existed so that if someone's main arm broke they had something to defend themselves. To my knowledge the Balder Side Sword is not a side sword at all due to its size. And typically rapier wielders would not carry a side sword but a second dagger, as they usually had one in their offhand. Just my two cents.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 am

Indeed, the Balder Side Swords don't seem like a side sword at all. Its the longest straight sword in the game.

Any insight on the Estoc? It strikes me as something between a straight sword and a rapier, but leaning more towards straight swords, unlike in the game.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm

An estoc was a flat bladed rapier. The were about an inch wide at the base and a bit thicker than standard strait swords. The edges were sharp. They were a pretty even mix between strait swords and rapiers. They were technically classified as a rapier because of the tendency to thrust with them, and the general technique that was used when wielding one.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:05 am

Awesome. Thanks Balder Knights 639795459
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 pm

ErrJon6661 wrote:An estoc was a flat bladed rapier. The were about an inch wide at the base and a bit thicker than standard strait swords. The edges were sharp. They were a pretty even mix between strait swords and rapiers. They were technically classified as a rapier because of the tendency to thrust with them, and the general technique that was used when wielding one.

My wife says video games are stupid, but when I learn something new, like I just did, I have some ammo to argue with (if I did argue, I just nod)
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 am

Dark souls is actually one of the most accurate games as far as the individual combat styles for each weapon go, there are a few weapons I have beef with however. But its better then the Elder Scrolls games or Two Worlds as far as techniques go.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 am

From Software is really stubborn about how their games are accurate and as realistic as possible. Beit physics, weapons, humanity, whatever. That's one of the many reasons I worship these guys.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 am

Its one reason I have trouble playing other video games anymore. I swear since Demon's Souls its never been the same for me.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 am

I can't play a lot of mech games after Armored Core. Now rpg games are also ruined. Awesome. Balder Knights 639795459
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Lets hope from makes an FPS next. I'd love to ruin my ability to even stand to play cod and halo with my friends hahahaha.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:Lets hope from makes an FPS next. I'd love to ruin my ability to even stand to play cod and halo with my friends hahahaha.

That would actually be a good thing for me. I would at least be playing FPS games again Balder Knights 3358384175 The clones these days and running around shooting each other is just boring for me.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

The only one I can stand to play is borderlands. But its just epic hahahaha. I used to play timesplitters, more for the comic relief than anything. But cod, halo and bf are all pretty much the same to me.
    TheSleepiestRican
    TheSleepiestRican
    Casual
    Casual

Post by TheSleepiestRican Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:51 pm

One game stands among them all... Gears...Of....War...
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Gears of war is fun. I wont deny that. It just was lacking to me like so many other games.
    AeroSigma
    AeroSigma
    Casual
    Casual

Post by AeroSigma Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:29 pm

JY4answer wrote:From Software is really stubborn about how their games are accurate and as realistic as possible. Beit physics, weapons, humanity, whatever. That's one of the many reasons I worship these guys.
    Except lagstabbing though right? I can't recall that technique from my history books Balder Knights 3358384175

PS- the prayer emoticon reminds me of the success kid (fist pump kid) That's what I'm going to use if for from now on.Balder Knights 3510096238 Like a boss.

Last edited by AeroSigma on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove excess line breaks)
    AeroSigma
    AeroSigma
    Casual
    Casual

Post by AeroSigma Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm

AeroSigma wrote:
    JY4answer wrote:From Software is really stubborn about how their games are accurate and as realistic as possible. Beit physics, weapons, humanity, whatever. That's one of the many reasons I worship these guys.
    Except lagstabbing though right? I can't recall that technique from my history books Balder Knights 3358384175

Umm..... wait a minute.... realistic with their humanity? So that's the way it works IRL?! Where can I get me one of those darksigns? links plz!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am