Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Jitenshazuki
chantienyee
DMC
densetsushun
Saturday-Saint
ReaperTeh
10 posters

Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good?

ReaperTeh

Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good? Empty Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good?

Post by ReaperTeh Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 am

I just got Demon's Souls delivered yesterday, and played a bit of it yesterday, getting up to Phalanx and succeeding before quitting the game.

I began playing it again today, and just now defeated Tower Knight. What concerns me is that I only did, at the most, 8 Damage to him. And I was in base Soldier gear, except for a Heater Shield, and a Bastard Sword that I had to two-hand (which is what was dishing out 8 damage on a strike).

After some initial panicking and running around to avoid archer fire, I tried to retreat from Tower Knight and saw that I could actually eliminate the archers. After doing so, and clearing out the rest that fell off and landed near Tower Knight, it was just me and the big guy.

The fight played out similar to beating Asylum Demon to death with your fists on an NG in Dark Souls, except for the fact that I could heal; I couldn't take more than a few hits from him, and I had to keep attacking him while evading his attacks for about 10 minutes or so, maybe. I did succeed however, but due to how long it took me to take down Tower Knight, I'm curious as to whether or not I should have been anywhere near him yet.

I'd only just beaten Phalanx and levelled up a bit before continuing through the level, and I didn't die the whole way through to Tower Knight, so I wasn't expecting any kind of boss battle that tough to face. My exact stats were:

14 Vitality
    9 Intelligence
    15 Endurance
    15 Strength
    12 Dexterity
    8 Magic
    10 Faith
    10 Luck

I have had over 350 hours of experience in Dark Souls prior to this, so I'm very well acquainted with the combat and such.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good? Empty Re: Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good?

Post by Saturday-Saint Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

If you have no prior experience with the franchise, yes.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good? Empty Re: Is beating Tower Knight at SL13 on your first try good?

Post by densetsushun Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:27 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:If you have no prior experience with the franchise, yes.
    This is definitely true. Just the prospect of fighting Tower Knight terrified me the first few times, now that I've fought the Golem I don't think he has anything on me.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 am

Yes it's good because you were obviously attacking his feet from the front/side and didn't attack his ankles...

But having hundreds of hours of experience in Dark Souls almost guarantees you will be at the very least 'good' at Demon Souls. Trust me when I tell you that the NO ONE beat Tower Knight on their first try when Demon Souls was new and there were no wikis about.
    ReaperTeh

Post by ReaperTeh Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

densetsushun wrote:Just the prospect of fighting Tower Knight terrified me the first few times, now that I've fought the Golem I don't think he has anything on me.

I was panicking wildly when I first saw him, too, but he reminded me so much of Iron Golem. I suppose that once you beat some bosses a few times, they haven't got anything on you, though, since you know their movesets and such.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 am

DMC wrote:Trust me when I tell you that the NO ONE beat Tower Knight on their first try when Demon Souls was new and there were no wikis about.
    I think I did. Maybe not before the wikis(?), but I didn't read or know about the wikis back then. He's definitely the easiest boss in the game no matter which approach you take. My first playthrough was sniping him from the walls, which is a cakewalk. Melee is super easy too if you know how to do it.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

^ I was thinking of melee really but no, he's not the easiest in the game IMO. Phalanx is the easiest which is why it is the first boss.
    But after playing DkS first then Tower Knight might seem to be the easiest, yes, as he's very very similar to the boss of SF's and you pretty much know what to do.
    Just to clarify - I was talking about when DeS was new i.e. there were no wikis and no one had played DkS yet either as it didn't exist.
    To be frank, if you didn't play DeS then you've no idea what it was like. If you played DkS completely blind (many claim to but very very few actually did) then you'll know what I mean.
    Almost all of the bosses are HARD when you've no idea what's on the other side of that fog gate.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 pm

I played Demon's Souls first. I found Tower Knight way easier. It may seem stupid but in my first playthrough I didn't think to hit Phalanx's little dudes behind their shields. I must have died a million times. And then I killed Tower Knight first try with ranged. I wasn't familiar with the Iron Golem from Dark Souls, since Dark Souls wasn't out back then.
    I played both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls blind the first few playthroughs.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Ah okay, I understand now.
    I'd say 95% of players didn't even make it up the steps the first time they fought the Tower Knight back then, never mind having enough spice and spells (or arrows and a decent bow) to kill the Tower Knight from range. I say that because most guys I've talked to and/or co-oped with fight him straight after Phalanx. You must have done other levels first.
    Jitenshazuki

Post by Jitenshazuki Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 am

I killed him on the first try. Probably on a bit higher SL though. But I have some experience in Dark Souls. It was kinda strange that I could go to the place where he couldn't touch me and heal, change my equipment etc.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I beat the Tower Knight first try at SL6(hunter) on my first playthrough(first time play a Souls game). It was far from easy though, so i'm not trying to brag. Especially since i didn't stay at SL6 on purpose. I rarely look up guides, and didn't realize i had to find the monumental to level up. I thought i would have to finish world 1 in order to level up, which i had remembered hearing.

I was about to go to work, but i had finally made it to the boss fog(after like 20trys or more). I didn't know then that i could quit out and i would still be in front of the boss fog when i loaded up the game again. So i felt like i needed to do the boss right then. I saw the Tower Knight and was just like "F***", then i saw the stairs and ran up(thankfully). I killed the crossbow guys, as i looked for more grass or items and came very close to getting killed. After taking out all the crossbow guys all the grass i had left was the ones you find inside the boss room. So i was trying to be extremely careful. I ran down the stairs and swung at his legs, then got extremely close to 1shot by his shield slam. I then ran back up the stairs and used my very last grass. I was now aware of the shield bash, and also realized that i basically had to hit his feet and run. I eventually got his ankles to squirt out that blue mist, and got what i had to do. It took almost 20min of me running up and down the stairs(mainly because i was scared of dying lol) and hitting his ankles with my +3 longsword. He eventually went down, but i ran and didn't attack him lol. It seriously took me like 1&1/2hrs to kill him. I was late for work, but i didn't even care.

That was one of those gaming moments that i will most likely never forget, and it why i love videogames. I just love remember that, cause it was why i got so into the Souls games. Beating him at SL13 solo when you are new to the game is a good start, especially since it is more about the weapon which it sounded like was unupgraded. Good job dude, i'm sure you felt very happy. That is what makes the souls games so great, even an early boss like that gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Basically you should have used the stones you got from all the phalanx to upgrade your bastard sword, then he probably would have been a push over for you. Surprised you didn't die going across the bridge, that was a lot harder then the Tower Knight in my opinion. Especially the first time when you don't know what comes next and keep getting killed by it.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 am

I beat him my first time, but I believe I was a magic user.
    Flankydizzle
    Flankydizzle
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Flankydizzle Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 am

Tower Knight as in the huge knight surrounded by archers? That boss is cake! Also beat that spider boss on my first try happy

And that's pretty much as far as I bothered getting in DeS. I just can't get into it sad
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 am

Flankydizzle wrote:Tower Knight as in the huge knight surrounded by archers? That boss is cake! Also beat that spider boss on my first try happy

And that's pretty much as far as I bothered getting in DeS. I just can't get into it sad

Try it out again. It gets better later in the game. I just don't care for world 2 myself either.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:39 am

FruitPunchNinja wrote:I beat the Tower Knight first try at SL6(hunter) on my first playthrough(first time play a Souls game). It was far from easy though, so i'm not trying to brag. Especially since i didn't stay at SL6 on purpose. I rarely look up guides, and didn't realize i had to find the monumental to level up. I thought i would have to finish world 1 in order to level up, which i had remembered hearing.

I was about to go to work, but i had finally made it to the boss fog(after like 20trys or more). I didn't know then that i could quit out and i would still be in front of the boss fog when i loaded up the game again. So i felt like i needed to do the boss right then. I saw the Tower Knight and was just like "F***", then i saw the stairs and ran up(thankfully). I killed the crossbow guys, as i looked for more grass or items and came very close to getting killed. After taking out all the crossbow guys all the grass i had left was the ones you find inside the boss room. So i was trying to be extremely careful. I ran down the stairs and swung at his legs, then got extremely close to 1shot by his shield slam. I then ran back up the stairs and used my very last grass. I was now aware of the shield bash, and also realized that i basically had to hit his feet and run. I eventually got his ankles to squirt out that blue mist, and got what i had to do. It took almost 20min of me running up and down the stairs(mainly because i was scared of dying lol) and hitting his ankles with my +3 longsword. He eventually went down, but i ran and didn't attack him lol. It seriously took me like 1&1/2hrs to kill him. I was late for work, but i didn't even care.

That was one of those gaming moments that i will most likely never forget, and it why i love videogames. I just love remember that, cause it was why i got so into the Souls games. Beating him at SL13 solo when you are new to the game is a good start, especially since it is more about the weapon which it sounded like was unupgraded. Good job dude, i'm sure you felt very happy. That is what makes the souls games so great, even an early boss like that gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
    This is one I believe happy 1st try and genuinely blind.
    Respect cheers
    DJPSP360
    DJPSP360

Post by DJPSP360 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Need help over Demon's Souls? I can help you defeat bosses.

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I replayed DeS a few days ago, and I decided to take down Tower Knight quickly without my (formerly) typical tactic of cheesing him with magic, and I have to say he's quite easy, especially with a halberd to swipe at his ankles. I can't believe I was ever terrified by him.
    DJPSP360
    DJPSP360

Post by DJPSP360 Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Great! Do you need my help to defeat the Tower Knight? My Soul Level is 66.

densetsushun wrote:I replayed DeS a few days ago, and I decided to take down Tower Knight quickly without my (formerly) typical tactic of cheesing him with magic, and I have to say he's quite easy, especially with a halberd to swipe at his ankles. I can't believe I was ever terrified by him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 am