Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Sentiel
will-yeah-buddy
DoughGuy
densetsushun
RePaused
retro
10 posters

A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities.

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities. Empty A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities.

Post by retro Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Using this map viewer here, I took some screenshots. I've always been interested in the geographical relationship between areas, and if there are any secrets still hiding:
    http://kayin.pyoko.org/?p=2249
    DSME allows you to explore the Dark Souls collision data Map both in first person FPS style controls. Made in Unity, It also allows you to switch to a no-clipping free flight camera.
    Firelink Shrine

• Showing the relationship to Blighttown and the Valley of Drakes.
    • You'd basically land right on the wooden bridge between the New Londo Ruins / Blighttown entrance in the VoD if you could survive walking off the cliffside-staircase to the Burg.
    • The entrance to Quelaag's Domain is almost directly beneath the Graveyard.

Blighttown & Queelag's Domain

• Shows the annoying branch-path that is responsible for killing many players. The collision data reveals some jagged edges which shows why it's easy to get caught up on that terrain.
    • Demonstrating that there is nothing behind the dead end by the Daughter of Chaos bonfire.

Crystal Cave

• Shows the invisible path to the blue titantite slab from several angles.

Duke's Archives

• Reveals two unreachable cells in the prison tower that seem to be actual rooms the player could likely stand in. One of them even has a drop down path into one of the cells you can enter. You can look up and see the vertical shaft up to the unreachable room in-game. Very interesting!

My guess is one or both of these locations may have been intended as potential invasion spawn locations. They're not in some far, remote corner of the prison tower-- both cells have exits that aren't a far drop down into normal parts of the level. Seeing how there are only 2 invasion spawn points in the Duke's Archives, and some other large levels like Sen's Fortress have 7... it seems logical that invaders could have entered from these locations.

Demon Ruins (Centipede Demon room)

• A demonstration that there is nothing hidden behind the mysterious doorway.

Sen's Fortress (image 1)
    Sen's Fortress (album 1)

• First image shows where the boulder path to the Gold Serpent Ring exits. Right below near where Siegmeyer gets stuck.
    • The album has a few screenshots of the walled-off, "ancient" entrance to Anor Londo behind the Iron Golem.
    • There's nothing behind that wall, but it's aligned perfectly with the main Anor Londo walkway (the bridge path to the large rotating elevator). It's a bit lower, but if you continued on a perfectly straight path from the Iron Golem area, and inclined upwards, you'd wind up directly on that walkway. Or if you clip about ~20 feet beyond the wall, the room with the Anor Londo bonfire is high up directly above your head.

For a much more interesting demonstration of off-limit areas in Sen's Fortress, check out this video of no-clipping by Pikol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4fpbPKVUSE
    Those areas really didn't look like anything special in the map viewer.

New Londo Ruins

• A known, off-limits area can't be seen in the map viewer. This means the collision data we see isn't a guaranteed means of discovering all the unintended, land-able locations.
    • And we see that poor Rickert doesn't get a "real" room of his own.

Painted World of Ariamis

• I found a couple hidden staircases beneath the floor where you fight Priscilla!
    • The staircases don't seem to lead anywhere, they just hug the walls of an empty tower. Would still be cool if someone with the ability to no-clip could get in there and take a look in-game, like the unreachable cells in the duke's prison tower...

Undead Asylum

• Showing how the opening cell appears to be underneath rocky terrain just outside the exit of the Asylum Demon's room (near where the torch hollows are on your return trip). Doesn't make too much sense for it to have a skylight.

Tomb of the Giants (1)
    Tomb of the Giants (2)

• (1) A demonstration of why, unfortunately, we shouldn't be able to see the Archtrees / "ash-lake expanse" from the Tomb of the Giants. Possibly the biggest geographical inconsistency in the game (although I'm still glad they put it there)... Looking up, we should be looking at a cliff-wall in the Valley of Drakes.
    • (2) Showing the relationship to New Londo Ruins and Quelaag's Domain.

Chasm of the Abyss

• This is where the Chasm of the Abyss is located in relationship to the Valley of the Drakes.

The Royal Wood vs. Darkroot Forest

• Animated gifs comparing parts of the Royal Wood and Darkroot Forest.
    • Also shows how Manus's boss room in the Chasm of the Abyss and The Four Kings' Abyss are located very close to each other.

Last edited by retro on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
    RePaused
    RePaused
    Casual
    Casual

A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities. Empty Re: A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities.

Post by RePaused Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Wow this is really informative.
    Moar!
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities. Empty Re: A collection of screenshots from the 3D Map Viewer. Showing the relationships between areas and some oddities.

Post by retro Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm

RePaused wrote:Wow this is really informative.
    Moar!
    Thanks! I just edited a bunch into the first post, it's probably twice as long as when you first saw it. happy
    I can take requests as well!
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:48 am

Can you overlay/compare Oolacile with Darkroot?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 am

As usual you show up with a ton of useful information Retro, +1
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 am

densetsushun wrote:Can you overlay/compare Oolacile with Darkroot?
    There's a great still comparison that you can find here:
    http://kayin.pyoko.org/ovsdrg.png

Here's an album of gifs. I had a website do them for me so they're not the best quality:
    https://imgur.com/a/IW74L

I think one of the more interesting comparisons is the last gif in the album. It shows how the manus' boss area in the chasm of the abyss and the four kings abyss are quite close to each other.

You can also see how exact some of the areas in the Darkroot Forest and Royal Wood are. Neat how a lot of the trees are the same, just smaller / younger, in the Royal Wood.
    will-yeah-buddy
    will-yeah-buddy

Post by will-yeah-buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am

very interesting stuff
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

WOW!
    This is amazing and very interesting.
    Thank you for posting this retro.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 am

Very cool Retro
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am

retro wrote:
    densetsushun wrote:Can you overlay/compare Oolacile with Darkroot?
    There's a great still comparison that you can find here:
    http://kayin.pyoko.org/ovsdrg.png

Here's an album of gifs. I had a website do them for me so they're not the best quality:
    https://imgur.com/a/IW74L

I think one of the more interesting comparisons is the last gif in the album. It shows how the manus' boss area in the chasm of the abyss and the four kings abyss are quite close to each other.

You can also see how exact some of the areas in the Darkroot Forest and Royal Wood are. Neat how a lot of the trees are the same, just smaller / younger, in the Royal Wood.
    Awesome, I definitely had a feeling that they intended(at least, when they were working on the DLC) for Darkroot to have once been Oolacile. Interesting stuff big grin

Edit: The still comparison makes me wonder if the serpent that tempted Oolacile was Kaathe. Considering the position of the Oolacile Abyss being roughly the same as New Londo, I think there's definitely a possiblity Kaathe just sat there waiting to tempt people into the Abyss. Which makes me wonder why the gods allowed for New Londo to be built near such a sight, knowing full well what happened there.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 am

I tried to tell people Sif's area is where Elizabeth is, not the Sanctuary Guardians. But did they listen? Nooooooooo

winking
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I tried to tell people Sif's area is where Elizabeth is, not the Sanctuary Guardians. But did they listen? Nooooooooo

winking
    It doesn't even make sense for Sif's area to be where the Sanctuary Guardians are Look Skyward

I wonder if that means Artorias' grave was made their by Elizabeth after you save Dusk. I still think Elizabeth is hiding the truth from Dusk, so that doesn't seem like too farfetched of a thing for her to do.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Yeah, I could buy that. My earliest theory was that Alvina helped make the grave but no reason to think Elizabeth wasn't a help (if not compeltely responsible). Particularly, I think I'm paraphrasing a bit but, doesn't she say "I won't forget about you but the rest of the world will" or something like that?
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Yeah, I could buy that. My earliest theory was that Alvina helped make the grave but no reason to think Elizabeth wasn't a help (if not compeltely responsible). Particularly, I think I'm paraphrasing a bit but, doesn't she say "I won't forget about you but the rest of the world will" or something like that?
    Yeah, her reasoning being that you're from the future or something like that, which makes sense, it's kinda wonky to say "This person from the future saved us all from the Abyss".
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:19 pm

I just added another couple pictures that shows TotG's relationship to New Londo Ruins and Queelag's Domain: https://imgur.com/a/EgvIT
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Look the Undead Parish, the devs say Andre was suposed to open a hidden path behind the statue where you find the Firekeeper soul, or I think it was the statue at end of firelink shrine's water pool, that where Frampt is, at the end there a statue, behind that I think.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:09 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Look the Undead Parish, the devs say Andre was suposed to open a hidden path behind the statue where you find the Firekeeper soul, or I think it was the statue at end of firelink shrine's water pool, that where Frampt is, at the end there a statue, behind that I think.
    Nothing can be found behind the statues. I think the idea must've been scrapped early-enough in development that remnants of the concept didn't wind up in-game:
    https://imgur.com/a/9Rl9a

One thing that's kind of neat - I never noticed there was complete head intact, from the neck-up by the broken statue at the Sunlight Altar. I'm sure someone else has seen it, but nonetheless it helps put some identity to the broken statue:
    https://imgur.com/z0wqs0N

You can see it better in-game. Doesn't really tell us anything new, though. Doesn't look like anyone recognizable.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Is it possible to fly and noclip in the map viewer posted by the OP?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:19 pm

In game that statue head looks a good deal like a certain Blacksmith (in my opinion of course). They did a pretty good camouflage job on it. I never noticed the head until NG+ and it takes a lot to get a really good look at it.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Hachouma wrote:Is it possible to fly and noclip in the map viewer posted by the OP?
    Yeah, you have to press "R" to toggle flying mode. Pressing "F" also toggles Darkroot Garden / Royal Wood + DLC areas.
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by psychichobo Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

This is pretty awesome! I like how they decided to correlate the DLC with the current place. Makes sense that Kaathe would be the serpent that tempted the residents of Oolacile into the Abyss, really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am