Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Odinbear
ErrJon6661
Juutas
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Shindori
Ashran
Serious_Much
Ghadis_God
LunarFog
Automancer
Nybbles
Carphil
skarekrow13
17 posters

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming Empty WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Just had to get this off my chest. There's one thing I HATE HATE HATE to fight and even though I haven't put my Dark Souls disc in my PS3 in awhile I feel like I need to vent

It really bothers me when invaders would wear the Calamity Ring. I mean come on! You're gonna be:
    a. Easy to kill (taking away all my fun) or
    b. You'll kill me and have major bragging rights (taking away all my fun)

From, seriously guys WHAT WERE YOU THINKING putting this imbalanced ring into the game? It serves no balancing purpose, and makes fights that would ordinarily be drawn out tests of skill into one sided slaughterfests.

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming Empty Re: WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I know right? They nerfed the DWGR for THIS?

Thanks a lot hun
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:28 pm

B is the only reason anyone would wear the Calamity ring and bragging rights make the game awesome for them.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Admit it. Deep down you want to be brutally murdered in one hit too. 8)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Nybbles,

I agree that the thrill of victory is fine for some people but the ring is completely unbalanced. It used to be, someone wanting bragging rights had to EARN it.

You know:
    -deliberately waste points in resistances to still get that PvP butter zone,
    -fight the urge to use upgrade materials for their equipment,
    -use unpopular weapons, etc.

Now, any jerk out there can just pop on this ring, win a fight and have instant street cred.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Um...who cares? It's not like anyone's watching the fights.

I killed about 35 people in a row with that ring on and I haven't even lost yet.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm

well the ring is an obvious handicap while the others might not be so apparent. it's like wearing a banner that says "i am deliberately fighting you at a disadvantage".

besides invading with the Calamity takes some balls. i know would never do it and i give kudos to any that are brave enough to take on that sort of challenge.

feel free to showboat if you beat me while wearing the Calamity ring, something that normally irritates me more than anything (just stop it you sunbro housewife).
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

That thing is OP as hell in the amount of coolness it gives you, that factor should be nerfed by at least 15% to reach balanced levels of swag.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:40 pm

I can't argue the balls and kudos on the win streak LunarFog, that's definitely an accomplishment.

My complaints are:

The lack of effort to get to the point of bragging. I know it's a banner but so is a plank shield. You can take that further and deliberately let mobs beat up on it (or overuse your weapon) until it's broken. I once fought a guy with a broken trident I didn't have the stats for. The 8 damage per hit was my banner. It's like the BB glitch for skilled players who want to brag. No effort into it. (Also, I lost that fight)

It's unbalanced. Just like the Bieber Ring (DWGR) used to let you flip (handspring Skare, it was always a handspring) at crazy weights, this ring lets someone create an advantage for someone else the EXACT SAME WAY.

Think about it this way....pre-patch DWGR went like this, put on a ring, instant advantage to one party

Calamity ring, put on a ring, instant advantage to one party. Sounds familiar doesn't it? This ring is just as unbalanced as that one ever was.

FROM YOU FOOLS!!!!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:42 pm

You guys get a 10/10 for sarcasm.

The street cred argument is the funniest
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Srsly rant about this? NERF THE LONGSWORD NOW
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Ashran wrote:Srsly rant about this? NERF THE LONGSWORD NOW

I think you mean nerf the dual caestus. The combos you can get on those things are just ridiculously OP
    Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 am

It makes for some great fight club ideas though. think Samurai fight Club. both players must wear the calamity ring and the dusk ring (To give you the least amount of health possible without having to make a retarded build), both players only use katanas or some type of blade weapon. One hit, one chance... it's not a matter of skill alone anymore, now its a matter of both skill AND luck. Sure, your armor could make you resist more, but art what cost? With both the rings, mobility would be severely hindered in favor of defense. but have some nice agility and a good, fast weapon and the target is diced in seconds.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 am

^ If OHKO-ing your foe is your way of having fun then go for it. I prefer longer duels.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 am

It's like beating up a hung over dude. If you are successful, you're a bully. If you lose, you're an embarrassment.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 am

I've only used Calamity ring for 5 times and won all those duels *bragging rights* YOLO SWAG
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:48 am

This is hilarious.

I haven't touched dark souls since the DLC came out and I probably won't end up getting it on my console. But really? We're arguing about the other player giving us the advantage. I know its not fun for those people who sit there and just pvp all day every day but thats just how it goes.

I guess they've nerfed everything else though so its come down to this.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:37 am

Shindori, that sounds like an interesting and creative fight club idea.

But even you point out that the calamity ring is a shortcut method for that type of fight. It takes the work out of the character creation process.

WILL THE EVILS OF THIS RING NEVER CEASE?
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 am

Nerf EVERYTHING.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:03 am

The calamity ring can actually be used in an immensely useful way
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

^ Enlighten us, master!

The only benefit i've seen is using it for my SL1 Calamity ring runs. And they're a freaking pain in the ***.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am

A few people have pointed out some good uses for it. My argument is that it's a shortcut and unbalanced and therefore evil
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am

Their is a spell called karmic justice, that emits an immensely powerful burst when the play takes mass amounts of damage. Now, if you do it correctly, using it in combination with power within, , and the sun ring that boosts miracle power in conjunction with the calamity ring can cause instant death on the person who hurts you. It might also have to be on a faith build, but I am not sure. The red tearstone ring might also help but that is uncomfirmed.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

How precisely does the Calamity ring help that equation? I'm not doubting you, just from my understanding of Karmic Justice (I did a lot of testing with this spell) and the ring it should have zero effect. Is there a hidden buff?

EDIT: Also, immensely powerful might be a touch exaggerated. From every test I did with lots of combinations of rings and equipment, I never found a scenario in which it out damaged WoG. The only benefit to KJ's explosion is a far far better push/knockdown effect.

EDIT EDIT: I have not tested KJ with the Calamity ring for the record (since it's eviiiiiiiil) so you may indeed know something about it I don't.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am

It helps a lot, in order for karmic justice to take into effect, a certain amount of damage must be taken within a cen amount of time, which is why its extremely hard. To make it work for someone that doesn't do mass damage at a time. The calamity ring double damage taken, thus doubling your chances of having it work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am