Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
nsane32
WandererReece
GreatLordNero
Pulleylube
MosquitoPower
ErrJon6661
Myztyrio
FungalPsychosis
prophetteonit
steveswede
14 posters

Dark Souls 2 weapon upgrade system changes

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Dark Souls 2 weapon upgrade system changes - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Souls 2 weapon upgrade system changes

Post by Dibsville Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 am

Yes, I see weapon customization as a problem. Only because people will find any way they can to max out their damage output. It's not going to be fun when you see some guy with a "Custom Rapier +5" who does more than the guy who is using the "Fire Rapier +10". All because they tweaked their Rapier.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Dark Souls 2 weapon upgrade system changes - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Souls 2 weapon upgrade system changes

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:34 am

Dibsville wrote:Yes, I see weapon customization as a problem. Only because people will find any way they can to max out their damage output. It's not going to be fun when you see some guy with a "Custom Rapier +5" who does more than the guy who is using the "Fire Rapier +10". All because they tweaked their Rapier.

Sounds like Fire Rapier +10 guy needs to think out his upgrade path a little bit better.

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:37 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:Yes, I see weapon customization as a problem. Only because people will find any way they can to max out their damage output. It's not going to be fun when you see some guy with a "Custom Rapier +5" who does more than the guy who is using the "Fire Rapier +10". All because they tweaked their Rapier.

Sounds like Fire Rapier +10 guy needs to think out his upgrade path a little bit better.

Say he does.
    That's just one more person who's maxing out their damage output.
    Now he'll fight people who will see that he's doing more damage and those people will also max it out.
    We'll never have a regular upgrade path.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:42 am

Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:

Say he does.
    Now he'll fight people who will see that he's doing more damage and those people will also max it out.

I'm still not seeing the "problem" here. Its encouraging players to experiment with different upgrade paths. I'd rather waste a couple hundred hours trying to figure out what I like best than having the game herd me like a sheep. I'd rather have 40 different and confusing upgrade paths than one clear one. It encourages variety. If there's one path there will be less different types of players out there. Stat min/maxing is going to happen regardless of what kinds of upgrade paths there are.

All that aside anyone who's put a good amount of time into this game knows that skill > equipment. If you're good enough you'll beat someone using a broken straight sword.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:

Say he does.

I'm still not seeing the "problem" here. Its encouraging players to experiment with different upgrade paths. I'd rather waste a couple hundred hours trying to figure out what I like best than having the game herd me like a sheep. I'd rather have 40 different and confusing upgrade paths than one clear one. It encourages variety. If there's one path there will be less different types of players out there. Stat min/maxing is going to happen regardless of what kinds of upgrade paths there are.

All that aside anyone who's put a good amount of time into this game knows that skill > equipment. If you're good enough you'll beat someone using a broken straight sword.
    In the end, your equipment still matters. Skill is a major point, but you're always at a disadvantage with the wrong equipment, no matter how good you are.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:11 am

Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:
    ErrJon6661 wrote:

Say he does.

In the end, your equipment still matters. Skill is a major point, but you're always at a disadvantage with the wrong equipment, no matter how good you are.

What I'm trying to get at here is a hundred extra damage here or there isn't going to decide a match. If you cant dodge the greatsword swing it doesn't matter if its been tuned and maxed out to put out the most damage possible you're still going to get hit and die.

On top of that maxing out certain aspects of a character is a huge part of playing an rpg. There's always a give and take.
    Steel Dragon74
    Steel Dragon74
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Steel Dragon74 Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:37 am

I think that while the simplicity of DkSs upgrade sytem is a good thing I would like a greater number of options, I dont care what they are but I want more options

Perhaps something like Borderlands 2s slag mechanic to give a new tactical option with your offhand wep (for those that dont know slag weapons do less damage but after after getting hit with a slag weapon the target takes more damage from all non-slag damage sources)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 am