Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Bassman Bob
Encore
Zeta Prime
bloodpixel
GkMrBane
tigab95
Aigaios
SwarmOnline
Hart
Soul of Stray Demon
shadowzninjaz
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Slarg232
Ghadis_God
DanTastic
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Marino.
Elite Knight
hey its andres
MosquitoPower
TheMeInTeam
Forum Pirate
PaPaSmVrf
KingSeekerCow
Tolvo
GrinTwist
Serious_Much
TheColdestHeart
Ostrava34
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ResIsBestStat
Latitoast
LunarFog
38 posters

Anime General Discussion

Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Anime General Discussion Empty Anime General Discussion

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 am

So I remembered we used to have one of these, and upon searching for it to try and bump it I realized that the thread I apparently remembered didn't show up on the search.  So I've concluded that it no longer exists and so am making a new thread!

Welcome to the anime general discussion thread, where we...discuss things generally related to anime.  Have a question?  Ask it!  Want to share an opinion?  Let it be known!  Need recommendations for new anime you want to watch because you don't know what's good?  Inquire here!

Oh, and please keep any details about specific shows in spoiler tags.  We never know who has or hasn't seen what after all pony02 

So that's the prologue, and welcome to the thread!

So who else knew that The World God Only Knows got a third season?  'Cause I sure as heck didn't.  Happiest surprise I've had in a long time big grin

Last edited by Reaperfan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Anime General Discussion Empty Re: Anime General Discussion

Post by LunarFog Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 am

I've never heard of that one.  I'm still waiting for the -gatari series to get another season.  One of my favorites by far 
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 am

LunarFog wrote:I've never heard of that one.  I'm still waiting for the -gatari series to get another season.  One of my favorites by far 

If you enjoy comedy shows you should check it out. It's hard to sum up without dropping details, but I would probably describe it as a deconstruction of the Harem genre in that it takes so many conventions and things you'd expect from that kind of show and turns them completely on their head.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:I've never heard of that one.  I'm still waiting for the -gatari series to get another season.  One of my favorites by far 

If you enjoy comedy shows you should check it out.  It's hard to sum up without dropping details, but I would probably describe it as a deconstruction of the Harem genre in that it takes so many conventions and things you'd expect from that kind of show and turns them completely on their head.

Interesting.  I always hated how Harem animes were always the same.  Should definitely be interesting.  And you should watch bakemonogatari if you haven't already.Here's a sneak peek 

Anime General Discussion Tumblr_ma27puZHNR1qcifexo1_500
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:17 pm

LunarFog wrote:Interesting.  I always hated how Harem animes were always the same.  Should definitely be interesting.  And you should watch bakemonogatari if you haven't already.Here's a sneak peek 

Anime General Discussion Tumblr_ma27puZHNR1qcifexo1_500

That's an awful lot of blood pony13 
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm

It's artistic

Anime General Discussion Tumblr_mnvqcid61j1rkn3abo1_500
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Anime General Discussion 39655610
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

LunarFog wrote:It's artistic

Anime General Discussion Tumblr_mnvqcid61j1rkn3abo1_500
    Thank you for contributing to my gif collection.

Does anyone want to add to my anime to-do list?

Right now I'm on Zero no Tsukaima, after that is Toradora, my friend gave me 2 more to watch, I need to watch Clannad, and adding to that list not only kills my time but also makes my list super big.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Latitoast wrote:Right now I'm on Zero no Tsukaima, after that is Toradora, my friend gave me 2 more to watch, I need to watch Clannad, and adding to that list not only kills my time but also makes my list super big.

I've found it's best to simply stop thinking about backlogging shows. Make a list in Notepad or something when a new series sounds interesting so you don't forget about it later, but only actually focus on one series at a time. The way you've got it now, whether you consciously think it or not, you're mind is at least partially putting Zero no Tsukaima simply as a checkpoint to tick off on your way to watching Toradora, with simply being a checkpoint to tick off on your way to Clannad and so on. If you stop thinking about what all you need to watch, you can enjoy that series more (and subsequently watch it faster which leads to new series faster winking)
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I really just watch anime at random. I give it 3 episodes to engage me, if it fails at that point I find another.

Not that its irredeamable after 3 episodes i didn't find interesting, just that, instead of wading through the boring (which is not the same as slow. I understand and appreciate the need for setup) episodes, I could be doing something interesting.
    Elite Knight
    Elite Knight
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elite Knight Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Three words: The Karas movies.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Anime General Discussion Evangelion
    Watch this or suffer a painful death.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:30 am

Seeing as how this thread isn't picking up very well, let's go with some more introductory things to get people talking.

First off, our anime backgrounds.  Write a list or describe it in a paragraph, it doesn't really matter, just let us all get an idea for what you've seen and enjoy about this medium winking

Instead of writing on and on about personal tastes and examples of them, I'll just start off with a list of things I've seen and enjoyed (excluding childhood shows such as DBZ and Pokemon that I watched before I knew what anime really was) hoping that doing so will provide perspective on my tastes via example.

In no particular order:

How about you all? What all kinds of shows do you like?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 am

How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.

There really isn't any "entry point" if you ask me. Just find a show that sounds interesting and start watching it happy

There are some shows that aren't great to start out with since you'd need some understanding of the tropes and culture around the medium to appreciate fully (stuff like Genshiken comes to mind). Other than those you can start anywhere based on what kind of shows you like (action, comedy, drama, etc).

We could start this being a suggestion thread for newcomers to ask for what shows to start on though. Let people say what genre/mix of genres they like and let the more experienced watchers come up with recommendations happy
    Ostrava34
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Ostrava34 Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:53 am

I'm more of a mecha nut though - so here's my list:

All the Gundam series, movies and OAV's
    All the Macross series, movies and OAV's
    Robotech [Yes, Robotech]
    All three Patlabor Movies
    Berserk - the anime series and Movies [the manga's further along in terms of plot though]
    Zone of the Enders 2167: Idolo
    Zone of the Enders: Dolores; I
    Code Geass
    Record Of Lodoss War
    Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight
    Lensman
    Samurai Champloo
    Ghost in the Shell [The first movie as well as Standalone Complex and 2nd gig]
    Voltron [Does this count?]
    UFO Grandizer
    Voltes V
    Gunbuster
    Gunbuster 2
    Space Warship Yoko Yamamoto
    Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
    Mai-Otome
    Fate/Stay Night
    Fate Zero
    Carnival Phantasm
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Thunder Jet
    Shingeki No Kyojin
    Cowboy Bebop
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Shadow Skill
    Samurai X
    Flame of Recca
    Mardock Scramble
    Blue Submarine #6
    Speedgrapher
    Gunslinger Girl
    Fam and Ihrie
    Slayers

Just to name a few.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:How about a thread introducing anime to newbies? Such as shows that are palatable to the untrained eye; speaking as someone who has an open mind to anime but has almost no experience with it I can say that it can all seem rather overwhelming. Anime-heads seem to exist on a different plane where they are already expert connoisseurs of the medium, there seems to be very little room for the uninitiated to enter the subculture.

There really isn't any "entry point" if you ask me.  Just find a show that sounds interesting and start watching it happy
    ReaperFan is completely right.I may not be the biggest anime connoisseurs but I have watched countless of them.  There's no overwhelming experience about it.  Just find an anime you like and watch it.  it's like finding a video game to play or a movie to watch.  

Anime-heads are just normal people who have watched a lot of anime and can talk about them and others.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 am

He may also mean the ones that come off less creepy or freakish to people.  While in many anime it may be acceptable for a little girl to be sexualized, a lot of people not into anime would probably be really bothered by such a thing.  Just stuff that culturally people who don't watch anime would be more accepting of, simpler concepts without some of the stranger parts of anime.  Because I'll be frank, when I see little girls in tight outfits it is very off-putting and can completely stop me from watching a show.  It's one of the reasons I can't withstand Tohou.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:07 am

Tolvo wrote:He may also mean the ones that come off less creepy or freakish to people.  While in many anime it may be acceptable for a little girl to be sexualized, a lot of people not into anime would probably be really bothered by such a thing.  Just stuff that culturally people who don't watch anime would be more accepting of, simpler concepts without some of the stranger parts of anime.  Because I'll be frank, when I see little girls in tight outfits it is very off-putting and can completely stop me from watching a show.  It's one of the reasons I can't withstand Tohou.

While it is disturbing to see actual children characters sexualized in any way in any medium, it is honestly very rare for the characters that are sexualized in anime to be actual children. The majority of the time it's the inherent art and drawing style of the medium that makes characters look younger than they are combined with the popularity of the "moe" archetype which is when a character is written to have an incredibly innocent, naive, and/or weak disposition in an attempt to make the audience more attached to the character by making them cute.

Depending on your definition of what age someone stops being "little" this could vary, but in all the anime I've seen I've never seen (or at least remember) any character younger than 14 years old sexualized in any way, and then it's usually in a very toned down manner without anything truly gratuitous. Only when characters become 16+ (the approximate average, or at least stereotypically believed, age real life teens start becoming more open with sexuality) do the character designs start showing signs of explicitness.

The only exception that comes up often enough to be a problem is when a Harem anime has the token "little girl" of the group shown to have more than just a "little sister-like" attachment to the protagonist. It's mostly because of this that I believe the Harem genre to be one of the two genres that would be bad starting points for a newcomer. Until you're used to the style of the medium and can differentiate between a character that is an actual child and a character who is merely child-like, and when you can identify differentiating patterns that show when sexuality is being used honestly or for comedic effect it can be jarring to see certain traits applied to very young characters.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 am

What I'm saying is if, even if they are a thousand year old demon in the body of a child, it is sexualizing a childish form.  "Oh man that's disgusting, that little girl is in her underwear and they're making her lean over."  "Oh no it's cool, she's actually a mutant that stays in the form of a child, but she's really 21."  "....She's got pig tails, and teddy bear underwear."  "It's an adult dammit!"  It is attraction to the actual physical form that is an issue for many.  There is attraction to a personality, and attraction to a body.  Attraction to a childish mind, or a childish body, is still disturbing to many.  

Inuyasha, generally considered a good starter since it has a lot of themes that are cross cultural while also being pretty simple, has the character Kagome.  She is heavily sexualized throughout, naked bathing, people peeping, being captured naked, people trying to **** her, and a lot of the artwork is designed to entice you.  She's 15 years old.  She wears a school girl uniform with a short skirt, etc.  Perhaps I've just had bad luck, but in nearly every anime I've seen, there are often sexualized young girls.  To me it just seems like a standard of the genre.

Now that's not to say it's the only culture with its taboos.  While in say, America the sexualization of a child is frowned upon blowing a dude's head off with a shotgun is A-Ok.  Every group have those things that are taboo to other groups.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 am

Tolvo wrote:-snipped for space-

And that's what I meant on how there could be dissonance in acceptability based on what each individual believes the cutoff age for being a "little girl" to stop being a "little girl" is.  Continuing with the main cast of Inuyasha, I personally see the only actual child character to be Shippo, with Kagome being a young teenager.  While still a bit jarring to those not used to it, there is just a bit more leeway with how far you can take a teenager's designs and actions.  It's when the cultural differenes in where these lines are drawn differentiate that things become disturbing for the uninitiated (things like the bathing scenes might be normal in Japanese media, but not to a Western audience).

As to the attraction to child-like behavior, I think you may be slightly missing the point of what draws people to the moe archetype.  It's supposed to evoke a protective instinct towards the character, making you attached to them not because you're attracted to the innocence/naivety itself but because that innocence/naivety makes it so you don't want to see anything bad happen to them.  From what I've seen, moe is most often used for drama, as in when something bad eventually DOES happen to the character to evoke an emotional reaction from the audience.

The times I have seen moe done with a sexual focus, the characters reacting to it are shown as being perverted or disturbed themselves or it's being used as a show of how far the naivety of the moe character in question reaches to further reinforce that protective instinct.  As in, the character is so naive they don't realize what they're doing has a sexual context, and every other character involved feels awkward as a result of them missing the context.  This is what I meant when there's a difference in telling when sexualization is played honestly or for comedic effect.  When done wrong, it becomes awkward to watch because you as the viewer are actively thinking "people that age shouldn't be doing that."  When done right it just makes you think "that poor girl has no idea what's happening..."
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 am

Perhaps the issue may lie in that the people I know who are into such things generally are very creepy about it.  Moe to them is sexy because it is a girl as awkward as them that they can relate to, not all of them but a lot of the people I know into it are like that.  And I don't mean that I say that without any base, I've asked them before and they've mentioned they feel they can easily relate to the characters and that makes them attractive to them.  Maybe there is something in the older brother/sister idea, but that just isn't what I've seen in the people I know.  Mind you one of these people actually sexually assaulted a woman once so perhaps the people I just know are all bad examples.

In regards to the bathing, yeah that's why I mentioned how in my culture blowing a dude's head off with a shotgun is acceptable.  It's a pretty horrible thing to see, and we have mass murderers seen as heroes in films/fiction, simply because we think they were justified.  Note, mass murder is never justified.  

I remember one show that I thought was interesting in concept, what was it called.  Highschool Girls I think.  It was about young teens dealing with puberty and such things, and it was very blunt and honest.  They were disgusted by the hygiene, they swore a lot to each other like real teenagers, they were interested in finding out what dildos were and about pornography.  Hell one of the teachers was a sort of interesting concept because he was seen as the pervert and the girls would threaten to tell people such and make him lose his job, when in actuality he wasn't and would essentially get trapped in situations out of his control during which he'd visibly cry.  Yet at the same time, the eleven year old was given "sexy" angles, they wore skimpy outfits, older men dating young girls was seen as alright, and there was a lot of humor based around the girls constantly landing face first onto each others crotch.  It had interesting sort of concepts that went against the genre that I know of, but then it would frequently just try to interest viewers through sex.  So it's one of those interesting ones but I still found it somewhat disturbing in ways.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 am

I agree in anime there's that creepy side where making younger girls sexualised is deemed ok. Sometimes I think it's just so there's a poster girl for every age that would watch the show, but to be honest i know im just being hopeful saying that.

It's a just a difference in culture I guess. Western culture would never even have nightmares about sexualising characters as young as that, but in anime they dont even bat an eyelid.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

There are three things that keeps me from Anime

1. Fanservice, Bath Scenes, Panty Shots, very Revealing outfits etc that really bothers me and takes me out of the experience . Not because it's controversial or anything, i just don't enjoy Fanservice at all .

2. The Voices, especially the infamous little Girls voice . I'm not that bothered to read subtiles .

3. The Humor, i really don't know how to describe that one, i guess the first Episode of Higurashi No Naku koro ni would be a good example . I've seen this kind of Humor in many Animes .
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:19 pm

https://youtu.be/MEO7XUbvUFU
    Perhaps one of the only Animes that I enjoy would work for you Marino.  Not only do they not do fanservice, they do fan disservice by putting giant men with thighs bigger than your torso getting spanked by warrior teachers with a paddle on screen, though I guess that is fan service to someone out there.  It's a very dumb show, but intentionally stupid.  Literally the characters are grown men but they all are about as smart as toddlers, which is kind of the concept.  Too stupid, go to manly school to learn how to be a man, because you don't know how to be anything else.  It features scenes like, driving a tank around an opposing school teams campus, fighting Elephants and Tigers with your bare hands, sitting in boiling oil as a test, and who could forget destroying buildings with sledge hammers then beating everyone inside up.  It's just dumb entertainment.  But effective dumb entertainment if you ask me.  Though I don't believe Youtube has all of the episodes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am