Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Customizable Controls.

Poll

Should we be able to change the control scheme.

[ 6 ]
    Customizable Controls. I_vote_lcap60%Customizable Controls. I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Customizable Controls. I_vote_lcap40%Customizable Controls. I_vote_rcap [40%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Customizable Controls. I_vote_lcap0%Customizable Controls. I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Customizable Controls. Empty Customizable Controls.

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I was thinking that we should have the option to change our control scheme.
    It would be really useful for people with disabilities or the like and I've really never seen a reason for a game not to have it. What do you all think?
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Customizable Controls. Empty Re: Customizable Controls.

Post by cerealaire Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm

i agree i hate how you have to tap O right after you run most of the times i fail i hope theres some type of switching scheme because you know how theres more than one action on one button i want to switch one of those actions to a different button example i want to place the jumping action to a different button so i put to triangle and it works while you dont need to place the other action to O see what im saying?
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm

If it isn't broken. Don't fix it.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

The programming is insanely more difficult to polish if you had specific control options . even if there were two options, from would have to test each one specifically. That's twice the work. Make it all customizable, and if I remember correctly, it would be 14! different combinations. That's 14x13x12x11...x1. And then they have to test that. If this was CoD with a new game every year, and it's almost all exactly the same, then new controls can be predetermined and tested. But notice that even in that game, you can't specify each and every button.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:20 pm

They don't have to play test for other configurations. In fact it would be even better, because no configuration is perfect for everyone, and this would allow people to find what suits them best. A lot of PC games allow 100% customization of controls and they still work out fine. Adding it in wouldn't be a restriction, but instead allow more players to be able to play without frustration resulting from controls. 

Dark souls is supposed to be a difficult game, but I believe we can all agree that the controls should not be a part of that difficulty.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, on PC, it's much more do-able. But on Console, you do really have to test every single one like I said. The hardware is strange, and controllers work WAY different than how keyboards and mice work.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:27 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:Well, on PC, it's much more do-able. But on Console, you do really have to test every single one like I said. The hardware is strange, and the way controllers work WAY different than how keyboards and mice work.

I still don't see the reasoning for why every configuration has to be tested. Can you elaborate?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:Well, on PC, it's much more do-able. But on Console, you do really have to test every single one like I said. The hardware is strange, and the way controllers work WAY different than how keyboards and mice work.

I still don't see the reasoning for why every configuration has to be tested. Can you elaborate?

Dragon Head glitch.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:33 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Soul of Stray Demon wrote:

Dragon Head glitch 
     That had occurred without having customizable controls. Glitches are going to occur regardless, and I feel that the benefits that it gives are worth the possible risks, especially when such risks aren't even guaranteed to occur.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:41 pm

It's more about cost and profit. In order to make sure they're game doesn't break like it did with the Dragon Head Glitch, and cost them LOTS of money to patch it, they're VERY willing to stay clear of anything that would risk that, as long as it doesn't keep them from selling copies. 

Granted, I understand that FROM is about making new, amazing, innovative games. Not just out there to make money. But the amount of work for them to put custom controls into the game just isn't worth the labor time. 

BUT, they are considering EXTREMELY how the controls SHOULD be. They moved the jump button, for example.

EDIT: Another thing. All programmers know that only about 20-40% of your time is actually dedicated to programming. The rest is dedicated to testing. Personally, I despise testing and I freaking hate having to go through my program more than once. I just want to make it. But, then again, I hate programming, and I love hardware. Electrical Engineering FTW. WOW I got off topic...
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Seems like a good point and all, but that leaves me wondering what the difference between having customizable controls for a console and having them on a PC is?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:56 pm

One is the Operating Systems. When a game is engaged in a console, the game almost has to stand by itself. In a PC, the Operating System has SO much more dedicated to it, that the game can stand on top of the Operating System. Memory management is so much easier on a PC, because the operating system does ALL of it. 

Another is the hardware in controllers on console work way different than Keyboards, as much as I understand it. Which isn't much. i just know controllers have much more complication to them, as they're restricted by the console Operating System. 

Another thing to consider is the engine that FROM is using. Does it have the ability to add custom controls? How so? My mind boggles from how complicated it all is. 

ANOTHER thing to consider is time. I'd rather they add more time polishing the game, adding more content, and balancing said content. I'd even rather have the game keep it's release date instead of adding on another month in order to do all that they want, and custom controls. 

But who knows. Maybe FROM's engine has custom controls built in and already tested from when they made it, and they're already building off of what they did. I'm not saying it was easier for them, but they could have already made the decision that it was worth putting in custom controls.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Ok, I did not know that it was it took all that work to program it in. But yeah, when it comes down to it, it's From's decision if it's worth it or not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am