Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Serious_Much
IHateTheFourKings
DyingAce
Reaperfan
skarekrow13
twigsterxd
GrinTwist
Zeta Prime
12 posters

Thiefs Ring

Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Thiefs Ring Empty Thiefs Ring

Post by Zeta Prime Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Obviously many of you on this forum have played Demon's souls. If not... well simply put.. you should do it. Iv been thinking about the thief's ring lately and find myself wanting one to appear in Dark souls II. I think it would give Archer builds an extra edge that the Hawk ring didn't quite give in Dark souls. Obviously it has lots of other uses, but I can't think of any right now. What do you guys think? Would you like to see a thief's ring implemented in Dark Souls II?

I don't mean like the ring of fog.. where you are partially invisible I mean totally invisible until a certain range.. I don't think the fog ring was very viable in pvp ever since it got patched and even then it was just good because you couldn't target a person wearing it (Now that I think of it I think that fog ring should only be useable in the forest by the hunters, I mean with the no targeting crap. I think that would give forest hunters a needed edge on the gankers.).. all the phantoms are florescent colours and even with the ring on you were still pretty noticeable.. it was better for hosts.. just not the same.

Last edited by Zeta Prime on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Thiefs Ring Empty Re: Thiefs Ring

Post by GrinTwist Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:20 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a ring that does something similar to the Thief's Ring. As far as effects I have no idea what it would do but if it would help out with stealth in DkS 2 I would love to see it in the game.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 pm

To be honest. I usually use thief in DeS. But in DkS, I'd have no need of it. Only being given 2 ring slots, they are usually both being used. It would be nice but there's too many rings as it is. If we had a 3rd slot then I'd say yes to having it. But, we also have spells that work much better than thief ring.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:13 am

I found in Dark that the slumbering dragoncrest and fog rings gave me really good results in stealth. If I use both then I have the drop on a whole lot of the game. For any circumstances where the hawk ring is truly needed you don't need any stealth. You're so far away they have no clue anyway.

In neither game did stealth do much for me with bosses but I can say I have lots of success everywhere else.

That's just what I've observed from my style of play. But regardless, I want to sneaky at times in DS2
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:51 am

We actually do have it in Dark Souls, at least in terms of what it actually does mechanically.  It's the Ring of Fog.  It makes enemies less likely to notice you and reduces the distance others can stay locked onto you.  It just makes you transparent as opposed to invisible straight face
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am

I said what I had t say about the ring of fog in my first post raised brow 
    I know it's there just didn't really cut it for me.
    DyingAce
    DyingAce
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DyingAce Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Thief ring was how I got through DeS years ago, cheesing Flamelurker with it in combination with poison mist lol Fog ring was a disappointment at first compared to Thief's better sneakiness. As I progressed through DaS my playstyle improved and found the ring slot more useful with something else like Wolf or Cloranthy. In pvp Thief really outshines Fog, un-lockable patch not helping Fog,  but they're more suited for pve.

skarekrow13, the slumbering crest & fog ring combo seems necessary to get good stealth. Slumbering crest is pretty useless on its own.

Considering we've gotten a sneaky ring in both game, I'm expecting something similar in DaS2. Perhaps more silent movement with harder to detect effect or invisibility that decreases the closer you are to someone & disappears entirely when attacking.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:14 pm

If you're good at knowing the peripheral vision of enemies the slumbering dragoncrest is priceless
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Zeta Prime wrote:I said what I had t say about the ring of fog in my first post raised brow 
    I know it's there just didn't really cut it for me.
    Then you're really just asking for a change in stealth mechanics rather than a particular item being implemented straight face
    IHateTheFourKings
    IHateTheFourKings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by IHateTheFourKings Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm

I don't usually play stealthily, but I can vouch for the efficacy of the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring. The Darkwraiths in new Londo seem to aggro from really far away, but that ring makes them a little bit more manageable.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 am

And, like I said, don't forget the spells big grin
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 am

Thiefs ring allows for a lot of cheering in demons souls. I hope it doesn't come back, it made some leves/bosses a complete joke
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 am

I would vouch for this if it did indeed improve stealth options in the game. The more play styles the better in any game!

Also I really liked the effect the Thief's Ring gave you in DeS. That trail of smoke around your feet was really cool.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am

Serious_Much wrote:Thiefs ring allows for a lot of cheering in demons souls. I hope it doesn't come back, it made some leves/bosses a complete joke
    Cheering? You mean cheesing right?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Yeah cheering, thank my phone for autocorrections that one silly
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Thiefs ring allows for a lot of cheering in demons souls. I hope it doesn't come back, it made some leves/bosses a complete joke
    It was pretty OP for many situations.  Even having that level of stealth in PvP might become too much.

You know something that just occurred to me writing this:  imagine if the Fog Ring had been left the way it was (wearer being untargetable) on one condition - the wearer is also not able to target anyone while it is on.  Imagine how the dynamics of a fight would change. Ranged magic would have been rendered nearly useless, and everything would have come down to freestyle melee.  I'd love to see what that would have been like in beta form.
    crbngville2
    crbngville2
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by crbngville2 Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:23 am

Yes! Would also like to see it be an early find, same as in DeS. The RoF took way to long to acquire. I found thief's ring to be of most use early in the game while still learning enemy aggro patterns.
    Solid_WolF
    Solid_WolF

Post by Solid_WolF Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:13 pm

The thief's ring was pretty darn useful, hell, it was necessary in certain situations or else it made some parts ridiculously hard (Shrine of Storms 2 anyone?).

Like Onion Knight said, the more play styles you have on your game the better, so I'm all for it as long as it doesn't break the game.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:17 am

To me it was useful in shrine of storms, 1-3 where the 3 blue-eyed knights stand on the stairs and for those damn geckos. At least in Dark, if you miss the gecko, it returns. I just wish they had more than just 1 gecko in the area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 am