Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Ahhotep1
Xero
Sentiel
reim0027
Soul of Stray Demon
Carphil
CrackSouls
Tatlreach
12 posters

New Player's PvP First Impressions

Tatlreach

New Player's PvP First Impressions Empty New Player's PvP First Impressions

Post by Tatlreach Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Preface: I am level 47 Strength build using a Dragon Greataxe. It takes ~12k souls for me to level up.

The totality of my duels
    Duel #
    1) Even match against a pyromancer. Awesome fun.
    2) I got double teamed and died.
    3) 2v1 in my favor. Blocking didn't matter. He backstabbed me through the front. Wasn't close.
    4) 1v1 He had full Havel Armor (me: Stone). I managed to get a back stab off with Dragon King's GreatAxe +2 and didn't see his health bar move at all.
    5) 2v1 in my favor. Enemy was way out of my league. My Teammate killed him. I was rewarded with 230,000 souls.

I quit PvP.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New Player's PvP First Impressions Empty Re: New Player's PvP First Impressions

Post by CrackSouls Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Try a "Fight Club" here at the forum. Don't quit yet.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Tatlreach

Post by Tatlreach Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 pm

CrackSouls wrote:Try a "Fight Club" here at the forum. Don't quit yet.
    Sounds awesome....only there are no hosts/signup's on PC, and I'm only level 47.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear that your first impressions were like that. I had the exact same experience when I started this game.

When I was first invaded, in the depths, I had the drake sword and a phantom with me, we barely could defeat the slimes, and the invader shows up with a lightning zweihander, he one shot me with a running R1. Welcome to dark souls I guess, after that all my PVP experiences were in the forest, where you imagine to be the worst place for a newbie. But after meeting people in this forums, I learned how to proper "duel" with rules, as such: no backstab, no healing, etc.. I made my first PVP build and multiplayer got fun at least. After some time, I decide to make a darkwraith and began to invade other people in multiple areas, sometimes I had to fight 3 people at once, sometimes I had to murder a newbie, but a lot of times I had fun trying (and killing!) hosts and phantoms! Specially if after I made a dedicaded darkwraith build (not so overpowered, but also not weak against 3 people).

So my advice is, do not quit yet, try mutiple ways to PvP. I'm playing this game for 2 years and I can still find new things to do happy
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Carphil wrote:Sorry to hear that your first impressions were like that. I had the exact same experience when I started this game.

When I was first invaded, in the depths, I had the drake sword and a phantom with me, we barely could defeat the slimes, and the invader shows up with a lightning zweihander, he one shot me with a running R1. Welcome to dark souls I guess, after that all my PVP experiences were in the forest, where you imagine to be the worst place for a newbie. But after meeting people in this forums, I learned how to proper "duel" with rules, as such: no backstab, no healing, etc.. I made my first PVP build and multiplayer got fun at least. After some time, I decide to make a darkwraith and began to invade other people in multiple areas, sometimes I had to fight 3 people at once, sometimes I had to murder a newbie, but a lot of times I had fun trying (and killing!) hosts and phantoms! Specially if after I made a dedicaded darkwraith build (not so overpowered, but also not weak against 3 people).

So my advice is, do not quit yet, try mutiple ways to PvP. I'm playing this game for 2 years and I can still find new things to do happy
    You should have actually put quotes around "proper" if you want to avoid offending people.... just saying.. BTW, sometimes you deserve a backstab, if you leave yourself too open to it.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    Carphil wrote:Sorry to hear that your first impressions were like that. I had the exact same experience when I started this game.

You should have actually put quotes around "proper" if you want to avoid offending people.... just saying.. BTW, sometimes you deserve a backstab, if you leave yourself too open to it.
    Sorry, I put the quotes around "duel" for this reason. Its a matter of opinion what is a duel, but I really don't see how that can be offensive.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 pm

I've done thousands of duels/invasions and my experience is much different than yours. Keep at it, join a FC (as mentioned already) and things will get better.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 am

I can imagine how you feel and I would quit if I were you. Dark Souls and it's PvP are both great, but with the state it is in now, I think it would be wiser to wait for Dark Souls II.
    Keep in mind that fight clubs are often visited by the best players. You will have a hard time against them, but you will surely learn a thing, or two from them. Most of them are cool, so if you ask for tips, I'm sure they'll gladly give you some. Perhaps even some sparring.
    Xero
    Xero
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xero Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:59 am

I dont really see anything that bad in your post that would make someone quit pvp.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:35 am

Other then being "ganked"(?) Though you did well for the most part the question that begs an answer is why quit pvp.

There are tryhards for sure but there are a lot of other people who still make pvp fun. Take the advice of Reim and others join a FC.
    Sentiel does have a point as well. The quality of pvp has suffered but again there are still many who maintain quality pvp standards.

Don't give up...get hooked up with good pvp'ers and FC's (like Reims: link above) and others. And there are still top-shelf pvp'ers roaming the hollowed halls of our forum! biggrin 
    Laharls_Wrath
    Laharls_Wrath
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Laharls_Wrath Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 am

if you're on pc, when you hit SL100, or if you're willing to play against those around that level, I host a FC and arena 2s/deathmatch nearly every week (although this week is up in the air)
    it's friendly and for a laugh, feel free to join us (https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t23807-weekly-regular-pc-fc)

and if you ever just want to duel hit me up on steam and I'd probably be willing to, although I only have one SL50
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:30 pm

You had 5 matches that didn't go in your favor and you quit?

Welcome to Dark Souls!
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:35 pm

TooLeet wrote:You had 5 matches that didn't go in your favor and you quit?

Welcome to Dark Souls!
    3 out of 5 did go his way. Well, one was enjoyable, one where his buddy got the kill, and one where he won. So I am curious as to what it was that turned him off.
    Oh, well...the degenerative quality of pvp has turned off a lot of people. Hopefully, he'll stick around anyway and find that we have some damn good pvp'ers here. twisted 
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm

The first match he said was fun. 

The 2nd match he got ganked. (didn't go his way)

The 3rd one the opponent knew backstab mechanics better than he did. (didn't go his way)

The 4th one was a hacker. (didn't go his way)

And the 5th one his teammate killed the opponent. (would have died without teammate)

I can see what turned him off. But, with more experience and NOT quitting PvP, all of those matches would go differently besides the hacker. Just block hackers as you run into them. 

You're gonna die. You're gonna die a lot. The slogan is "Prepare to Die." Come on man. Take your losses and learn from them. Do you know how many times we have died to get where we are today? Too many to count. And we still die. It's inevitable. Learn from your mistakes. Learn the mechanics. And most of all, keep it cool. Don't expect to run into Dark Souls and smash everyone. There would be no fun in that. Learn how the game works and one day you will be able to hold your own in battle. Stick around the forum. Everyone is more than willing to help with your frustrations, we've all been there. Trust me.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes, I see. I stand corrected. Proper Bow 
    Mental Gear
    Mental Gear
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Mental Gear Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:33 am

As you wrote in the first post your first match was awesome. You have to be patient, not every opponent gets the even-matches-are-more-fun-formula. Sometimes you'll fight against people who think backstabbing you and killing you with a close range dark bead is an achievement. Well let them, be the better character and move on to the next fight, knowing you might get a more challenging or interesting fight next time.
    And every lost match can give you hints on where you might have to improve your knowledge/skill.
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Hingle McCringleberry

Post by Hingle McCringleberry Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 pm

My first time being Invaded was a guy with no weapon... it was velvet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am