Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
aceluby
Laharls_Wrath
NathanC
WaffleGuy
skarekrow13
AnCapaillMor
RANT
11 posters

looking for a new laptop

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

looking for a new laptop Empty looking for a new laptop

Post by RANT Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 am

So my laptop is pretty much dead after s couple of years of abuse from a toddler,I was wondering if you guys know of any good deals that you've seen recently, i want something that will have no problem handling Photoshop,I can spend about s thousand dollars on it, thanks in advance.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

looking for a new laptop Empty Re: looking for a new laptop

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

Wait about another 3-4 weeks and buy one from dell. EOQ at october and they usually drop prices towards the end of it to get more sales in, plus the next gen is coming out and they'll be looking to get rid of the current gen. If not them, acer are pretty cheap and reliable.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:40 am

I think you'll have no problem at that price point. I can steer you toward a couple deal sites that sometimes have awesome sales.

Like right now actually

Here's some lappys

WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am

Laptops from Dell never last long in my house for some reason. Even if we don't use them a lot. They started blowing heavily close to being used for a year up to the point where I wanted to punch through the screen. The loading times took way longer after a year too.
    The laptop I have from Toshiba is a lot better compared to the ones we had from Dell. I've got this one for over a year and a half. It's still quick and silent. 

But I don't know a lot about computers, and the deal are probably different from what you have in your country. Just sharing my experience silly
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

The one I had was a dell and I wansn't very impressed by it, specially since it never really did what they said it could never handled Photoshop well and it was about fifteen hundred bucks.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm

RANT wrote:The one I had was a dell and I wansn't very impressed by it, specially since it never really did what they said it could never handled Photoshop well and it was about fifteen hundred bucks.
    1500? Wow. 
    I have this Toshiba laptop of 700 and it performed a lot better than the Dell laptop of 900 we had, and even the Dell computer of about 1000. It could be they improved it by now, but I just don't trust Dell anymore whatsoever.

Not to say you should get Toshiba. I guess there's a lot more other brands that perform much better than Dell. silly
    NathanC
    NathanC
    Casual
    Casual

Post by NathanC Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 pm

I've not used a laptop in some time.

My girlfriend got an Asus about two years ago. Now, when it comes to individual pc parts. Asus is fantastic. Excellent price, they perform phenomenally, and they last forever. However, the $1300 gaming pc she bought was without question they cheapest p.o.s. I've had the displeasure of fixinf multiple times. I'd steer clear of their laptops.

The one I had way back when was an HP. And holy hell was it durable. It survived a number of drops and hits. And it just kept going and going for almost 4 years before I started building desktops and I got rid of it. It would have lasted another 2 years I promise. It was that awesome. So HP has my vote for laptops.

And with a 1k budget? You should have no problem finding something good. Sounds like some of the people in this thread have more lappy experience than I do so I'll stop here.

Good luck!
    Laharls_Wrath
    Laharls_Wrath
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Laharls_Wrath Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm

I'd say avoid dell as well, they don't manufacture their own products and the build quality tends to be garbage and vary vastly from model to model

Acer I don't like as they tend to be built fairly cheaply

Asus, I'm actually a fan of. They make great parts and the few laptops made by them I've used seemed to be built fairly well, but idk maybe the build quality varies if what Nathan says is true, still, I like the company

HP I dont have much experience with but I remember reading some statistics a few years back that their laptops had a relatively high failure rate

Toshiba make, from my experience, pretty solid products

also feel like Lenovo are worth mentioning, since I know a couple people who swear by them but can't speak first hand

but yeah, 1k should be plenty to get something decent
    as for deals and where to look, Newegg is my go-to for pretty much everything if you keep an eye out for sales
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:19 pm

I've had an Asus gaming laptop I bought about 4 years ago for music production that I bought from Tiger Direct for about $800.  Just cleaned up my files and made some performance tweaks this past weekend and it's like it's brand new again.  Should be able to get something even better now for roughly the same price.  Can't say enough good things about my Asus laptop.
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:00 pm

For photo editing get something with a 4 core or better (i5 or i7 if intel).

Make sure it has a real graphics card. None of this "integrageted intel hd graphics" nonsense.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:46 pm

With that budget, I'd say your golden. Just be thorough in your research.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am

I love my Toshiba. NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com are my go to's and as others said, 1k will buy you a really solid piece of hardware.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

I used to work on computers, (building them, upgrading them etc). I used to get more Dell computers than anything else. If you want a good one. Acer and Gateway are the ones I like. Hell I'm even lovin' this tiny little Samsung netbook I bought few months ago. Samsung is another one that's pretty good. If it's just for the internet and NOT for gaming, you don't need an expensive one bro. This little netbook is pretty good, even for photoshop. And, it cost me 100 bucks used. If your kid keeps breaking them, just get the cheapest you can get with the hardware you need.

Also, give your kid the old one so he doesn't break the new one right away big grin
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 am

Laharls_Wrath wrote:I'd say avoid dell as well, they don't manufacture their own products and the build quality tends to be garbage and vary vastly from model to model

Actually most of them don't anymore, i was out in 1 of those huge super factories in china and there was a good few known brands being built there, they've their own lines. ASUS are one of the few that build their own now.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm gonna keep an eye out for the perfect laptop for me in either new egg or tiger direct until I see something I really like.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm