Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
The Letter X
Leet
Qyntius
7 posters

Remapping you controller

Qyntius
    Qyntius
    Casual
    Casual

Remapping you controller Empty Remapping you controller

Post by Qyntius Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:33 am

I am not sure if consoles have this option, but do any of you guys remap your controller? I am Interested in hearing about set ups, ideas, etc

Myself I am playing around with the idea of switching the L1 (block) with Circle (roll) for easier reverse rolls and ravioli steps
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Remapping you controller Empty Re: Remapping you controller

Post by Leet Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 am

I don't think anyone changes their settings. I'd be lost after switching my settings because of how long i've played on the default ones. It's already easy to ravioli step and reverse roll without doing all that. Plus, they're just for flashy purposes.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:38 am

I don't see the reasoning behind making the Ravioli Steps easier, but since reverse rolls require a claw grip for most people I can see that.

I still would not recommend remapping the controls since the controls are so straightforward, simple, and natural, but if you really want to make it easier on yourself just to Ravioli Step and reverse roll go on ahead.

Coming from someone who has reverse rolled for over 8 months, it gets pretty easy and superficial after a while. As Leet said, it's mainly for flashiness, unless you want to make roll-BSing easier.
    Qyntius
    Qyntius
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Qyntius Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:53 pm

I was asking this question due to inexperience on this topic and I am glad you guys responded. I still do not have a clear image of high level Dark Souls PvP, some say Backstab fests, others say Chaos blade poke fests, and I was hoping it would also contain reverse rolling. If it is just flashiness than I would say remapping isn't worth it. I just never liked the roll on the B/O, so looking for an excuse I guess.

so on a side note, very similar to the mastery thread above, what do you guys think are the techniques/moves that need to be learned to be considered a good Dark Souls player?
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Basically understanding all of the mechanics will net you a lot of wins. Read your opponents and learn their patterns. You don't have to do anything special. You don't need special tricks and moves. I don't ravioli step and i don't reverse roll and be serious about it.

Really what comes down to being a good Dark Souls player is really being a good sport about it, imo. You can be the best player in the world but you won't get my respect if you're a toolbag about it. Learn to hold your own against veterans and you're good to go. Even if you can't "hold your own" just have fun. Learn from every match. That's all there really is to it.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 pm

If you're going to change controls, the sooner the better so you can acclimate to what you like.  Don't forget that you can mess with the analog press buttons also, possibly making L3 parry and moving the roll/sprint to R2, and then B would only be used to center the screen or whatever.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Qyntius wrote:I was asking this question due to inexperience on this topic and I am glad you guys responded. I still do not have a clear image of high level Dark Souls PvP, some say Backstab fests, others say Chaos blade poke fests, and I was hoping it would also contain reverse rolling. If it is just flashiness than I would say remapping isn't worth it. I just never liked the roll on the B/O, so looking for an excuse I guess.

so on a side note, very similar to the mastery thread above, what do you guys think are the techniques/moves that need to be learned to be considered a good Dark Souls player?
    No techniques or moves are needed to be considered to be a good Dark Souls player in my eyes. To me, as long as you're winning a lot of your duels, then you're good. I've fought some people who don't use any special techniques while fighting, yet they are better than most people I fight who incorporate advanced techniques into their fighting styles.

Not that different, advanced moves are pointless, it just depends on how you use them with your own natural way of fighting. The only specific things I can say that might be required for a good PvP'er would be knowing spacing, most if not all weapons' movesets along with all magic/miracles/pyro, and the ability to pick up on patterns and individual tendencies between each player.

Simply put, know how all things work in PvP and how/when they are used, and know how/when to use that knowledge. A win is a win, and it doesn't matter how you got it (unless, of course there were set rules beforehand). A win by dead angling, toggle escaping, reverse rolling, backstab escaping, parrying, and staggerstabbing is the same as a win by R1 spamming when it really comes down to it. Are all of the aforementioned things helpful? Definitely, but they're not necessary.

If you want a definitive answer on what I see in most of the better players I fight, they normally dead angle, reverse roll, toggle escape on the first hit, know set-up parries and can pick up on patterns for blind parries, try to go for staggerstabs, and sometimes roll-BS depending on the person.

Just duel good players all the time and learn from them. It'll come naturally.
    AnimeRamen
    Casual
    Casual

Post by AnimeRamen Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

If you change any controls change the leap attack and kick controls. Moving your analog stick up then pressing rb or rt is too unreliable....change it to "A" rb or rt.

To be a great pvper takes time. My learning process was this (in a shortened form): invincibility frames, backstabs, rolling, posie, stun, parry, out of game skills. All of this stuff was learned after i beat the game....i had a rough time. Anyways I've still yet to learn these flashy techniques like reverse rolling, etc. and, in my opinion, you don't need them.
    Qyntius
    Qyntius
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Qyntius Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Some great replies guys, guess I can put youtube aside and just keep playing the game the way I want it.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't remap my controller at all. Of course, I've been using these controls since DeS.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 pm

The only thing I change is my camera controls. I reverse them from what the default is. Other than that, I use the main buttons on default setting. Be too confusing if I changed them around.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I reverse the horizontal camera.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 pm