Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
skarekrow13
Marino.
Hugh_G_Johnson
WaffleGuy
reim0027
FexDS
Bontee
twigsterxd
Hatsune Miku
Reaperfan
Zeta Prime
GrinTwist
Rynn
Onion Knight
jaythibodeau
Carphil
The Letter X
Sentiel
Leet
Dibsville
Soul of Stray Demon
Shakie666
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Soris Ice Goldwing
Latitoast
Emergence
Serious_Much
31 posters

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs - Page 2 Empty Re: New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

Post by jaythibodeau Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 pm

I really like the sections that show the most viewed threads and recent posts. What I don't like though, is that I don't have the option to remove some of these new additions. It feels a tad bit cramped.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs - Page 2 Empty Re: New Forum Layout!- Suggestions and Bugs

Post by Onion Knight Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Quick! Everyone get mad!
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 pm

jaythibodeau wrote:I really like the sections that show the most viewed threads and recent posts. What I don't like though, is that I don't have the option to remove some of these new additions. It feels a tad bit cramped.
    This ^
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Onion Knight wrote:Quick! Everyone get mad!
    Lol, so perfect
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Onion Knight wrote:Quick! Everyone get mad!
    Lol, so perfect

Is that some sort of mean gist at everyone who doesn't like it?
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm

It is just a bit too tight to me, too concentrated in the upper area of the forum. That and the reduction in post width messed up my gifs...crying
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm

The posting area is too small for what little the widgets Do. I'd rather have no widgets and a larger posting area, rather than widgets and most of the posts being smaller despite there being no new content taking up the space.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Rynn wrote:The posting area is too small for what little the widgets Do. I'd rather have no widgets and a larger posting area, rather than widgets and most of the posts being smaller despite there being no new content taking up the space.
    Very good point, the widgets don't take up much room, but still use up a large part of the area available.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Well if you'd like advice I could give it.

First when it comes to the ads (they're not really ads but let's just call them that for now) they overflow the page, which is a bit of a turn off for most members as stated before.

The best way I can think of to fix this is to first get rid of 'latest topics' or move it near the 'view posts since last visit' is. This way people will be able to click the hyperlink and be linked to a page listing the recently made threads the same would also go for the 'most viewed topics'.

The 'Pre-order Dark Souls' ad I do like and I think it can help with revenue the same goes for the 'Fextralife' ad. My suggestion would be to move this to the home page and maybe keep it near the chatbox or near the bottom of the page after the tomb but before the 'top 20 posters of the day'.

I don't really understand why the 'calendar' ad needs to exist, to be honest. I'm not going to suggest deleting it because of this, but it might be better at the bottom of the page where the 'listed users online' is at.

I'm sure this advice is flawed but it's the only thing I can think of. Shrug 
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 pm

I put my browser's zoom on 75% and it actually looks very good.. it's much better on my eyeholes this way.. everything is fitting nicely.. if I'd had bad close-up vision I'd be pissed.. fortunately my eyes only suck at distances tongue 
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Rynn wrote:The posting area is too small for what little the widgets Do. I'd rather have no widgets and a larger posting area, rather than widgets and most of the posts being smaller despite there being no new content taking up the space.
    It's all a plot to make our posts look longer since they're usually 1-2 sentences most of the time silly
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Latitoast wrote:
    It's all a plot to make our posts look longer since they're usually 1-2 sentences most of the time silly
    Wait, what so ever do you mean? I don't have my most of posts only 1-2 sentences. Not so ever. No. Not at all. In no way do I do that.

See ^ Multiple sentences.

Seriously though, I think it needs to be changed. It gives less room for the "forum" part of the forum. Which is an odd thing to say.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Most of my posts are very short sentences, I just post what comes into mind.

I shall declare this is an act of aggression by Fex!

You may have won this battle

But you shall not win the war, your site editing forces shall meet a buttery demise! devil 
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Give me my old Forum back, pls.sad 
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

If you want style from me here is what I say. Remove most viewed topics and switch it with the calendar moving the latest topics up closer to the preorder area while limiting the topics to 5 or only topics within 25 minutes of each other, and redesigning the preorder layout to match the forum design. And reduce their widths by a few pixels. That is my opinion if you want to keep all of the items up there.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

I think the middle area of the screen is smaller. My sig is now slightly cut off on the right side, as well as the quote being cut off at the bottom.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Reaperfan wrote:I think the middle area of the screen is smaller.  My sig is now slightly cut off on the right side, as well as the quote being cut off at the bottom.
    It is smaller. The page size didn't change, just more of it is used up for the widgets.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 pm

As of right now, the site is pretty broken on my phone. I think it'll be bearable once it gets cleaned up, but I can't help but miss the old forum layout already.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:30 pm

I know, I had to go and get my adblocker to block some of that stuff. But I can't get rid of it all. And it still hurts my eyes.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Fex this is not good. I'm not happy at all.

Please PM, if you are able.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I'll give it time. But I think it looks like a bunch of clutter on the sides. And is very distracting.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

That is just what it is for now clutter on the sides. Sure maybe later in time it will be better, however as of now it is just disorganized clutter.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Sorry guys. I don't like it. It's way too busy and confusing now. My laptop is half the size of a normal one and there's just way too much on my screen. Also, with that bar on the far left side that looks like a book binding, makes the stuff on the left messy and difficult to read. The latest topics on the left hand side is actually a bad idea. Mainly because we can't tell when a new comment has been posted as we don't have the smilies we have in the other links. We already have a link for topics since last visit etc. We don't really need the extra. Also, having this stuff show on every page we visit, makes loading pages slower depending on your pc. Not to mention the extra cookies we don't really need for duplicate pages.

If this stuff was to show at the top and bottom of the page instead on the sides, it would make things look neater and possibly better. But that's just my 2 cents. It's your site.

Just noticed in the
    Community Articles area on the right. Scrolling over to the right puts that bar down the page and the colour of the font being dark, makes it hard to read with the background of the page.
    Bontee
    Bontee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bontee Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 pm

...I decided to come back here for a bit, all I see is this:
    Image:

I'm on a netbook, I have no other choice at the moment and the new layout makes almost everything get unbearably squished, if I zoom out, I can't read anything.

To the admins or mods (from someone experienced with both forumotion and coding a forum myself), maybe just add a portal page with all the widgets or something? I understand and respect the time and effort you took to add this in, but for some people it seems troublesome at the moment. Just a suggestion, I'm sure we could all learn to live with it eventually, but... yeah. winking
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Bontee wrote:...I decided to come back here for a bit, all I see is this:
    Image:

I'm on a netbook, I have no other choice at the moment and the new layout makes almost everything get unbearably squished, if I zoom out, I can't read anything.

To the admins or mods (from someone experienced with both forumotion and coding a forum myself), maybe just add a portal page with all the widgets or something? I understand and respect the time and effort you took to add this in, but for some people it seems troublesome at the moment. Just a suggestion, I'm sure we could all learn to live with it eventually, but... yeah. winking

Thx Bon, I forgot to add that I'm also on a netbook and since you posted a pic, I won't have too big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:32 am