Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Icegodzilla
Latitoast
tigab95
homelessguy
Soul of Stray Demon
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Zeta Prime
TheMeInTeam
Hatsune Miku
WaffleGuy
Reaperfan
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
17 posters

i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one. Empty i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one.

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:29 am

as some of you may be aware pokemon x and y, the 6th generation of pokemon is coming out on october 12th worldwide. ASHSDGASGDJASGFSA!!!!111!!!

ahem... yes i've known about this for a while actually, but i just thought i'd drop the news here since i can't find a relevant pre-existing thread.

The interesting thing is that gamefreak has actually made some changes to their tired and true fomula, for those of you who don't know what im talking about here are some links:
    http://www.serebii.net/xy/megaevolutions.shtml
    http://www.serebii.net/xy/fairytype.shtml
    http://www.serebii.net/xy/supertraining.shtml

what do you think? cool? a good set of changes? too much?

also apparently there are only about 70 new pokemon for this generation...
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one. Empty Re: i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one.

Post by Reaperfan Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:16 am

Less new pokemon, more new mechanics? I'm interested. Especially that super training allowing you to finally track EVs.

I'll admit the series kinda lost me come 4th gen. I barely remember anything about B/W, and didn't even bother with Platinum or B2/W2. X/Y weren't doing any favors when they ruined the nostalgia-fest of Pokemon Origins by having a shameless plug for Megaevolutions in what was supposed to be a faithful recreation of the Gen 1 games, but these new games seem to be doing enough with the series formula that's actually new that I'd consider picking the series back up.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one. Empty Re: i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one.

Post by WaffleGuy Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 am

I stopped buying the Pokémon games after the 4th Gen (Diamond/Pearl).
    I honestly believe that was the right time to stop. They don't even look like pokémon to me anymore. They seem to be ruining my childhood more than improving it.
    (I'm looking at you, mega evolutions >_>)
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 am

I've got Poke'mon Y pre-ordered. Eagerly awaiting for pick up day.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Anti-dragon is a big boon.  There's a few things with the series that overcentralize it and screw it up at competitive levels:

1.  Critical hits:  Once an almost necessary stall war breaker back when EVs weren't capped the same way, anything they might have once brought to the game has come and gone.  They now serve literally zero useful purpose, only occasionally making someone win who got outplayed.

2.  Stealth Rock:  Among the most used moves in the game despite not being an attack, learnable by an astounding number of pokemon, with only a few abilities that have any immunity at all and only a handful of pokes that get the ability to remove it.  This one move eliminates the viability of a vast swathe of pokemon, and centralizes typing choices.  It is also disproportionately stronger than other entry hazards, potentially causing more damage than a move that takes triple the amount of setup, and doesn't have a type switch-in that removes it from the field automatically.  X and Y needs to introduce SOMETHING that puts a SERIOUS hurting on this trash move.  It's an eyesore and has been for many years; way too good compared to alternatives.

3.  Dragon typing --> Fairy typing:  Thank god for fairy.  Draco meteor/outrage being unresisted by basically everything except steel virtually guaranteed the need for steel at tiers that allow for the strong dragons.  Possibly this won't be as big an issue now.  Poison needed more relevance, too, and it gets some here.

4.  Permanent weather/weather wars --> Once upon a time, getting a weather advantage had a downside and required significant investment, rather than simply using a slightly weaker (if at all, depending on weather) poke to permanently implement it.  Putting excaderp in the game in B/W was going in the wrong direction; weather has a place in the game as a setup move.

If X/Y at the bare minimum nerf the HECK out of trash rocks then it'll easily be the best game in the series to date.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm

i think weather ability pokemon have been nerfed somewhat, their weather only lasts 5 turns apparently (not confirmed but...)

also... they FINALLY made a ghost sword poke, and a real rabbit rather than a playboy bunny pokemon.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:57 pm

The weather change would be a great one! Now just to nerf down derp rocks..........
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I'll stick to my crystal version
    New Pokémon just aren't right
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I wish I had a 3DS but, alas, no. I'll be missing out on this one too...
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Zeta Prime wrote:I'll stick to my crystal version
    New Pokémon just aren't right
    What I thought of when they announced the new fairy-type:

...:

This one contains no-no words maybe:
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 pm

^I lol'd so hard at jiggly

wtf is a fairy type lolol??
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Zeta Prime wrote:^I lol'd so hard at jiggly

wtf is a fairy type lolol??
    It's a new type for the new Pokémon Gen.
    It's super effective against dragons...

I know, it's hard to take in.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Reaperfan wrote:Less new pokemon, more new mechanics?  I'm interested.  Especially that super training allowing you to finally track EVs.

I'll admit the series kinda lost me come 4th gen.  I barely remember anything about B/W, and didn't even bother with Platinum or B2/W2.  X/Y weren't doing any favors when they ruined the nostalgia-fest of Pokemon Origins by having a shameless plug for Megaevolutions in what was supposed to be a faithful recreation of the Gen 1 games, but these new games seem to be doing enough with the series formula that's actually new that I'd consider picking the series back up.
    We've already had a recreation of the Gen 1 games

And 4th Gen innovated Pokemon in an incredible way, it's up there as one of my favorites for the mechanic changes that made Pokemon like Gyrados more viable as picks on a team when they did the physical/special split
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 am

Latitoast wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:Less new pokemon, more new mechanics?  I'm interested.  Especially that super training allowing you to finally track EVs.

I'll admit the series kinda lost me come 4th gen.  I barely remember anything about B/W, and didn't even bother with Platinum or B2/W2.  X/Y weren't doing any favors when they ruined the nostalgia-fest of Pokemon Origins by having a shameless plug for Megaevolutions in what was supposed to be a faithful recreation of the Gen 1 games, but these new games seem to be doing enough with the series formula that's actually new that I'd consider picking the series back up.
    We've already had a recreation of the Gen 1 games
    Pokemon Origins is an anime that follows the events of Red and the initial run of the Gen 1 games as opposed to Ash.  It was a pretty faithful recreation too (even though the pacing was pretty awful), except for at the very end in the fight with Mewtwo they had Red's Charizard megaevolve.  It kinda ruined the whole thing by bringing in something new and turning the show from "hey guys, remember these things from these games?  You do?  Awesome!  Glad we could remind you about these things you loved!" to "hey guys, remember these things from these games?  You do?  Awesome!  Now that we've effectively kicked off your nostalgia drive, do you remember that X and Y are coming out soon?"

Kinda made the whole thing feel more marketing-oriented and less actually trying to please the fans sad
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:12 am

Started a Kickstarter funding drive to give me money for games.

pls donate to this worthy cause. You are the ones who make this a reality. :pharis: 
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Started a Kickstarter funding drive to give me money for games.

pls donate to this worthy cause. You are the ones who make this a reality. :pharis: 
    Link plz.

I actually tried to play a few of the pokemon games a while ago on an emulator, really didn't care for them that much. All these new types of pokemon kind of became a turn-off a while ago anyways.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:28 am

GrinTwist wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Started a Kickstarter funding drive to give me money for games.

Link plz.

I actually tried to play a few of the pokemon games a while ago on an emulator, really didn't care for them that much. All these new types of pokemon kind of became a turn-off a while ago anyways.
    Since gen 1 the only new types have been Steel, Dark, and Fairy

That's only 3 :l
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:06 am

Latitoast wrote:
    GrinTwist wrote:

Link plz.

Since gen 1 the only new types have been Steel, Dark, and Fairy

That's only 3 :l
    You know baseball.

3 strikes and you're out! silly
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:52 pm

i can't find a thread on pokemon so... i'll make one. A9dK5WW_460sa
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 pm

From what I've heard only some of the mega forms will be viable anyway. First of all, you have to use an item for it, and that means no scarf, sash, band, specs, life orb, expert belt, or leftovers. Second, megaforms on things like venusaur, who has dream world ability chlorophyll and the option to use items on it, are going to be outclassed by current abilities unless their stats are tremendous.

Finally, unless they do something about derp rocks charizard is going to suck no matter what you give him, unless you change his typing big grin.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:34 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:Finally, unless they do something about derp rocks charizard is going to suck no matter what you give him, unless you change his typing big grin.
    What are they gonna do? Change him to Fire/Dragon and expose him to all the new Fairy-types? silly
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:59 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:From what I've heard only some of the mega forms will be viable anyway.  First of all, you have to use an item for it, and that means no scarf, sash, band, specs, life orb, expert belt, or leftovers.  Second, megaforms on things like venusaur, who has dream world ability chlorophyll and the option to use items on it, are going to be outclassed by current abilities unless their stats are tremendous.

Finally, unless they do something about derp rocks charizard is going to suck no matter what you give him, unless you change his typing big grin.
    You can't help but feel bad for Charizard and Moltres, Stealth Rocks nerfed him so hard
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 pm

This isn't about the games but about the show, (The ones in Kanto and Johto.)

First of all, Brock's best line.

Second of all, was I the only one who just really really loved Totodile?

And third.

Look 13:00 in for Mewtwo's Mega Form.

At least going of what Mega Form is in that, It may be a little too OP. And he canceled out of it, upon taking heavy damage.

I wonder if this is just for the show, or if it actually reflects what's going to be in the game.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:58 pm

@Stray - Of course we all love the show for its cheesiness, there's a site that writes some pretty entertaining episode summaries (some, not all hit their mark), it's called Pokemopolis.

- Maybe, Totodile never really stood out to me so I can't say I'm with you on that one, mate.

- I think that mega Mewtwo thing is confirmed to be in the game, I remember reading something about it. As if he needed to be more OP.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:05 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:@Stray - Of course we all love the show for its cheesiness, there's a site that writes some pretty entertaining episode summaries (some, not all hit their mark), it's called Pokemopolis.

- Maybe, Totodile never really stood out to me so I can't say I'm with you on that one, mate.

- I think that mega Mewtwo thing is confirmed to be in the game, I remember reading something about it. As if he needed to be more OP.
    I meant it as in, the canceling out part, and changing mid battle.

And Totodile by the way, was just hilarious. I remember one time, he was dancing inside a Hydro Pump. I just loved his wackyness.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am