Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Something I Did While I was Gone...

The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Something I Did While I was Gone... Empty Something I Did While I was Gone...

Post by The Letter X Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 pm

While I was on hiatus from the forums, I was under a lot of stress and only had access to computer. I did not have access to my Xbox 360, which was one of my only forms of relaxation because of Dark Souls, so I decided to play an MMO to settle down in my off time.

If you know why I enjoy Dark Souls so much, you won't be surprised that I wound up getting involved in the PvP community in this game. I probably got too involved, and I decided to make a video of some of the PvP in game. The title and description of the video should explain a bit. Let's just say I no longer play the game because its community is a far cry from Dark Souls'.

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Something I Did While I was Gone... Empty Re: Something I Did While I was Gone...

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Darn, I was hoping for commentary. :mask-sack: 

Anyway, you look like you are good at the game, and I say this without having any knowledge of the game. winking 

So, Purin is your channel? That's interesting.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Something I Did While I was Gone... Empty Re: Something I Did While I was Gone...

Post by Latitoast Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:22 pm

You look so mobile, so why would melee not be viable?

If you have high mobility in a game melee can be one of the strongest ways to play.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Darn, I was hoping for commentary. :mask-sack: 

Anyway, you look like you are good at the game, and I say this without having any knowledge of the game.  winking 

So, Purin is your channel? That's interesting.
    I imagine I'd be terrible at commentary. I'd wind up forcing myself to talk, and when I do that it comes out as nonsense.

Being "good" at the game was... tough. Ranged builds were much easier to use, and it didn't help that nearly everyone used the same build that worked best. Imagine fighting only buffed katanas or spears with the Dark Wood Grain Ring while you're using your favorite themed build in Dark Souls. Now multiply that by about 10 and you've got my situation.

Purin is the channel I used for that game, Champions Online. I have another channel for Dark Souls that I'll probably use for Dark Souls if I start playing on the PC version and make videos. It's possible that I may try to use that channel, and name, for Dark Souls 2 however.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:36 pm

Latitoast wrote:You look so mobile, so why would melee not be viable?

If you have high mobility in a game melee can be one of the strongest ways to play.
    And that was a big factor in helping me with using melee builds. As far as I know, only me and the person that posted nonsensical comments on the video moved in ways that made it hard to hit us, even though there is no true dodge mechanic in the game.

Basically, if you're in range of the attack, it will hit you. There were ways of reducing the damage through powers you picked for the build or the equipment you wore (which had no aesthetic influence, thankfully), but that did not make up for closing the gap on a melee build. You'd spend most of your time chasing people down while they were backpedaling and still dealing damage. And once you finally caught them, your one chance at attacking would fail most of the time due to lag or a power that could interrupt other powers.

To fight that, we learned to move in a way that would keep us out of range of their heavy damage dealing attacks and moving in while they were recharging to kill them on the spot. That may sound like a simple tactic that everyone would pick up on right away, but since most people died so quickly from the OP ranged powers it proved to be harder than it looked.

We also had to learn how to make builds that could actually kill our ranged opponents once we finally caught them. Most melee powers weren't even as strong as the ranged powers. The strongest melee powers in the game required heavy set-ups to achieve their full potential, yet they still only did 2/3 of the damage of the better ranged powers. And melee powers couldn't be charged until you were in range of your opponent and stayed in range, which was hard to do. So we had to make builds that locked down our opponents in some type of way while we were closing the gap without sacrificing too many offensive or survival powers to gimp us too badly. It was much harder to do that on a melee build.

I still had a very low success rate against the best ranged builds because it was simply impossible to beat them, even for other ranged builds. I did manage to get respect from most of them, however. That was my only goal.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 am

Well that sounds completely 100% balanced
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 am

Latitoast wrote:Well that sounds completely 100% balanced
    I wish I could jokingly use sarcasm about it as well, but it was so bad.

Fun, but bad.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:50 am

But sarcasm is fun

It's my favorite thing

I honestly can't remember how many times people have told me how sarcastic I am
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 am

The Letter X wrote:Imagine fighting only buffed katanas or spears with the Dark Wood Grain Ring while you're using your favorite themed build in Dark Souls.
    I'm sorry, but I don't get to reminisce about complaining about this often so I've gotta ask; did you play Dark Souls before the DWGR was nerfed? Becuase what you described was exactly what happened. No need to use imagination since it was a reality. It was actually the cause of my first mental breakdown that made me have to take a break from Dark Souls, and permanently dissuaded me from pursuing PvP over co-op.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:51 am

Reaperfan wrote:
    The Letter X wrote:Imagine fighting only buffed katanas or spears with the Dark Wood Grain Ring while you're using your favorite themed build in Dark Souls.
    I'm sorry, but I don't get to reminisce about complaining about this often so I've gotta ask; did you play Dark Souls before the DWGR was nerfed?  Becuase what you described was exactly what happened.  No need to use imagination since it was a reality.  It was actually the cause of my first mental breakdown that made me have to take a break from Dark Souls, and permanently dissuaded me from pursuing PvP over co-op.
    I did play before the DWGR was nerfed. I kid you not when I say the situation was worse in the other game I played..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am