Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Uchigatana - upgrade pros & cons?

awsimo
    awsimo

Uchigatana - upgrade pros & cons? Empty Uchigatana - upgrade pros & cons?

Post by awsimo Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am

Hey everyone! I am on my very first playthrough of Dark Souls, and I am loving the game so far and the great community that has built up around it.

I could use some advice, from those more knowledgeable than myself, regarding upgrades for my dearly beloved Uchigatana +10. I'm using a Dex-based melee build with strong Int magic support (see stats below). I was originally going to upgrade to either Lightning or Flame, but then I noticed that those upgrades would stop scaling with Dex. Since I'm only going to continue pouring points into Dex, at least until around 35-40, I'm now wondering if it would be smarter to upgrade to Normal +15 and keep the Dex scaling.

So I guess my ultimate question is, will Dex scaling eventually outweigh the extra damage I would get from Lighting or Flame?

Thanks! Appreciate your help.

Last edited by awsimo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Minor grammar corrections)
    awsimo
    awsimo

Uchigatana - upgrade pros & cons? Empty Re: Uchigatana - upgrade pros & cons?

Post by awsimo Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:49 am

Oops, forgot stats. (I'm doing this from memory, so may not be 100% correct. silly)

Level 45
    Vit 21
    Att 12
    End 21
    Str 14
    Dex 21
    Res 12
    Int 17
    Fth 8
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes, dex based scaling on the uchi will out damage elemental. Elemental weapons also do split damage. Meaning, you have to bypass physical resistance and elemental resistance once you land a blow. A +15 uchi has pure physical damage, meaning you only have to bypass one type of resistance.

Elemental weapons are nice for low - mid level builds that can't afford 40 levels in scaling stats.
    They are also used by vit / end gouged high level builds but it's really not that common anymore.

Below is a link to the dark souls character planner. It's very nice tool for planning / showcasing builds.
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Welcome to the forum!
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:53 pm

You can always upgrade to lightning and when your dex stat gets high enough, modify it back to +10 and make it +15 from there.
    awsimo
    awsimo

Post by awsimo Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm

DigitaLinsanitY wrote:Below is a link to the dark souls character planner. It's very nice tool for planning / showcasing builds.
    Holy crap, this tool is awesome. I'm gonna have a lot of fun playing with this!

Question: What level do you usually end up at by the end of your first playthrough?

AnCapaillMor wrote:You can always upgrade to lightning and when your dex stat gets high enough, modify it back to +10 and make it +15 from there.
    Oh snap, I can downgrade? Somehow I was not aware of that...

I keep forgetting, I also have the Iaito rattling around in my back pocket. Maybe I'll make that Lightning and keep the Uchi on normal...
    DigitaLinsanitY
    DigitaLinsanitY
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DigitaLinsanitY Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:18 pm

It depends how thorough you are, how much coop or pvp you're doing, how much you're investing into spells or pyro glove, and weather you're completing dlc content.

Without additional soul farming, I'd say SL70 - 80 sounds about right.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm