Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
Shakie666
Soul of Stray Demon
DarkGerald
Soris Ice Goldwing
Onion Knight
Tolvo
tinypantha
reim0027
Rynn
skarekrow13
Forum Pirate
steveswede
Ahhotep1
AnCapaillMor
Serious_Much
Dibsville
Hatsune Miku
WaffleGuy
TomBombadil515*
Hart
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Emergence
FexDS
27 posters

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Poll

Like the new look over at the new host?

[ 22 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_lcap67%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [67%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_lcap12%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [12%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_lcap21%Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [21%] 

Total Votes: 33
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 Empty Re: Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Sentimental reflections from Skarekrow13:

Home is where the heart is. The heart for me in this forum is the community (since I can't recall the last time I played Dark Souls). If the community moves then it's still home.

The important note is that I call the biggest bedroom in our new home so there's lots of room for Buffalo Bills stuff and maybe some chain mail.
    DarkGerald
    DarkGerald
    Casual
    Casual

Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes - Page 4 Empty Re: Heads up: Incoming Forum Changes

Post by DarkGerald Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

the new forum looks great big grin

When are we supposed to start posting there?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Everyone will be informed once it's ready for use happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 pm

At least it also gives me an excuse to update and refine the Resources Thread , on the new site.
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I do not wish to kick up any more dust, sincerely. But under the circumstances and in my defense. I did not down rep Fex's post on page 3.

This is another example of why the new rep sys will be much better. As it looks now, even I would think that Ahhotep1 neg rep'd Fex. Guys, I did not do that. It is not even close to a post that even deserves a neg rep.

Just take a look at my stats. You'll see how infrequently I have neg rep'd and how often I hav +rep.

I am sorry, I just felt the need to defend myself and clarify a possible incorrect and possibly misleading conclusion.

Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Well, going over the past few pages.

How about we make a compromise of ideas?

Maybe people could have 5 free rep, if they have over (insert number here (maybe like 20)) rep on this forum before the move.

Much less work for the admins, still puts most people on more fair starting ground again, and would appease the members more.

(Maybe not this way, but let's still try to compromise in some way Ok?)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 pm

We all still wuv you Ahho!

"No. Wuv, with an Earth 'W.' Behold"

"This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us"
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:54 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:We all still wuv you Ahho!

"No. Wuv, with an Earth 'W.' Behold"

"This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us"
    *hugs* thanks...me needed a wittle wuv. happy
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm

I just registered an account on the new forums, after realising that they're all going to be transferred from here... was I not supposed to create a new account, or does it not matter?
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Shakie666 wrote:I just registered an account on the new forums, after realising that they're all going to be transferred from here... was I not supposed to create a new account, or does it not matter?
    Our accounts here will transfer. Fex will email new temporary log-in info. At least that was the latest word.

To answer your question...I'm not sure. Not to worry though. It will all be good. big grin

We will know more when she is ready to make the "big" move. happy

Check this out...should help>>

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t24867-heads-up-incoming-forum-changes#527692

Last edited by Ahhotep1 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 pm

We have begun exporting the members from here today.

Nobody should register on the new forums yet as any information there will be wiped.

I will start exporting the content of these forums today - this means any threads or posts you make over the weekend here would be lost, and that our theme is gonna become ugly here for a bit because of some changes on the backend we need to do for the copy to proceed.

I know the beta is today and everyone will want to chat etc - It "should" be possible but if anything happens you can use

fextralife.chatango.com
    darksoulswiki.chatango.com

The new forums should be live in a couple of days, if you guys can hold your horses on posting anything important until then nothing should be lost happy

We had to find a time that had both me and the guy we hired available and this weekend was it, sorry for the beta inconvenience
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Sounds like it will be up just as I get home from the hospital, timing can be a funny thing. Like Vicodin.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 pm

MY CALL FOR COMPROMISE HAS BEEN IGNORED......

How dare you all.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:24 pm

What was it?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm scared... sad 
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:Well, going over the past few pages.

Maybe people could have 5 free rep, if they have over (insert number here (maybe like 20)) rep on this forum before the move.

Much less work for the admins, still puts most people on more fair starting ground again, and would appease the members more.

This was my call for compromise.

Do people just not know how to scroll up on a thread?

And Pendant.... you should be scared... o.o
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Awesome Fex! big grin

Your time and effort is not underestimated by any of us, to be sure!

Need any grunt work...you know where to ask. winking
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm learning to use this phone still for the forum.

It just sounds a bit odd, I'm assuming the actual numbers are flexible and just placeholders. Maybe a bit of rep should just be given to everyone, since only giving it to people with a certain amount kind of says to others, " you aren't a real veteran." It would also make there be more of a gap between old and new members on the new forum .

I see some merits and flaws with it.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Tolvo wrote:I'm learning to use this phone still for the forum.

It just sounds a bit odd, I'm assuming the actual numbers are flexible and just placeholders. Maybe a bit of rep should just be given to everyone, since only giving it to people with a certain amount kind of says to others, " you aren't a real veteran."  It would also make there be more of a gap between old and new members on the new forum .  

I see some merits and flaws with it.
    True, but I was just searching for a way to make compromise.

There are a number of other options that we have available.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:02 am

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:Well, going over the past few pages.

I like your (and other people's) way of looking at this (and others who are coming up with constructive ideas). I appreciate people coming up with solutions and keeping a positive attitude.

As much as it shames me to admit this, post count and rep are important to me. I know they are only superficial, but it is a source of pride for me.

That being said, this move over to the new format will be awesome, and I'm willing to lose my post count and rep to make this happen (should it be required - I know, as it stands, posts will be transferred). This forum's community is beyond awesome, and that is more important than any "silly" number.

Running a forum takes a LOT of work, dedication, consistency day in and day out (and a lot of money to run a good forum). And, one misstep can break the forum. I've seen it happen. I've seen forums go down for weeks because of this. Keeping a limited number of people running the forum design is important to help avoid this.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:17 am

I guess I should ask: The new place, from what I can tell, uses my Gravatar as my avatar. Problem is that my Gravatar account is so old I don't even know what e-mail it's tied to or even if I still access it. Moreover, even if I found out which e-mail it uses I damn sure don't know the password I used.

So, how would I be able to tinker around with avatar?
    Ahhotep1
    Ahhotep1
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Ahhotep1 Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:51 am

Gwad....I wanna post so bad now that Fex said "don't post" or it might be lost. Ahhhhhh, there I feel better. silly
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 am

Assuming an easier solution doesn't present itself before the transition is finished, please consider the following:

-All threads will be relocated to the new forum, therefore there will be a post by all members who have a post count = 1+

-I have made a list of all current members who have a post count above 0, in descending order of postcount (this is mostly so shyts organized)

-I suggest that if everyone wants rep to be restored, once we settle into the new site we make a rep boosting thread; starting either at the top or bottom of the list (I mention starting from the bottom as the users with highest postcount tend to have higher rep values, not always but y'know. Therefore the people who benefit most need to wait til the end to restore their rep) and posting that users final rep from here, along with a link to a post of theirs on the new boards.
    Everyone else in the thread/from the old site then uses their upreps throughout the day on that post, etc. etc. until everyones got their stats back.

One rather large thing to consider is whether you are prepared to invest the time to do this; as someone has advised me already, if people get bored halfway through it breaks the system and is unfair on some people.
    Also, you will have to trust (and in turn do so yourself) that everyone helps out everyone else. Again this system will breakdown if they only help people they like...

So yeah, word... big grin

EDIT: also you know, critique/improve/tear this idea apart til you come up with something satisfactory for everyone.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:25 am

Forums are now being exported and as such defaulted to original theme. Do not freak out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am