Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
nsane32
HelmHammerhand
jagger_1243
Tolvo
Back Lot Basher
SATLOS
meridam99
Forum Pirate
lucanious
sids09
stale
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Herbo
Oh_the_Humanity
RANT
Serious_Much
Liff Daddy
DxV04
User
DarkSect
24 posters

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

DarkSect
    DarkSect

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game Empty Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Post by DarkSect Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

I know it´s been just about 4 months since the release of dark souls but I wonder if you prefer the developers making a "Dark Souls 2", continuing the style and gameplay of it or rather a complete new game in the "souls" series?

For my part, i would love the idea about a Dark Souls sequel, since i already spend about 600+ hours with this masterpiece and loving it, as there is still no end in sight for me playing it.
    I am even that addicted to demons/dark souls that i made the promotion for it at Gamescom in Cologne last year.(yeah, you guessed it, i am from germany big grin )

What do you wish from the developers in the future and why? What changes would you implement if you were in charge of making a sequel or a new souls game?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game Empty Re: Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Post by User Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 pm

To create a new Souls Game. Follow the trend of different stories with similar mechanics, and the games do not dull storywise as those of continuous sequels, as I have seen for most movies... and games as well. A nwew souls game will do, a new spiritual successor from its two older siblings, but a sequel to one of the stories would seem unlikely more so achiveable.

Still... the Dark Souls lore does not have a solid ending as Demon's Souls, as Dark Soul's endings leaves questions of what happens to the world. It might work more so than other sequels... but a new Souls game would be more so appealing than a new Dark Souls Sequel
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game Empty Re: Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Post by DarkSect Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Good point. Anyway a Dark Souls sequel would be unlikely because the producer of the game said that Hidetaka Miyazaki would only make a new game if he comes up with something new, which is a good thing i think.
    However, i would also be pleased with a sequel because now they created this beautiful crafted world and this fantastic gameplay mechanics. With a sequel they could do all the things they may wanted to implement in Dark Souls or making some things even better. In addition it would not take
    so many years until a release.
    If they would make a sequel i would love to see some decent dual wielding mechanics and more elemental sorcery as ice, earth, wind and water spells for example.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm

I have not played Demon Souls although I almost bought a PS3 just so I could play it. I still plan to buy it just to play Demon Souls hehe.

But maybe just maybe they can attempt to merge the 2 stories, the Demon Souls story with the Dark Souls story and have new game with the best of both worlds and a unifying story line. Since I do not know the lore behind Demon Souls its hard for me to say this is a brilliant or stupid idea. ( I am sure or hope I am illuminated by my brothers and sisters here hehe)

I would call it...

Dark Demon Souls cheers

no? :evil:
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Also, IMO instead of making a sequel they should just use DLC to complete some aspects that appear incomplete in this game tweak the balance some more at the same time.
    Liff Daddy
    Liff Daddy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Liff Daddy Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm

A sequel would be cool, but I like that they're waiting for a new idea.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 pm

They should make a new souls game.

The game is fine as is, only patches need doing still to iron out couple of things.

New one entirely where they can experiment, sequels within a series limit what you can do with the game.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:56 pm

I wish not for Dark soul and Demon soul lore to become connected. As I know, the two stories have a complete different aspect to one another, with only a few things worth of connection. Many enemies are similar to one another, I can guarantee in that regard. You can see the enemies connections in Dark and Demon Souls. As well, many things are showcased in Dark Souls, like Patches and such. However... the story and lore of both games are too spread out. One, Demon's Souls, consists of a plagued world of the Demons, in which the player must absorb their power and seal away the great one (or claim the power that it wields); Dark Souls is more so a land plagued by a special Flame, as well as many aspects such as the Dark Sign and Humanity, in which all of Humanity suffers and becomes 'chaotic' due to the deity Gwyn sacraficing all his power believing in what is right, removing Order in the world of Men.

I do not know what the hybrid game would be, but I would say I would not rejoice it as much as the original two Souls, that is for sure. Go threw the Final Fantasy route (I don't play it, but I know how it generally works similar to Soul Game in this coming regard), create games that follow similar mechanics, but the story and areas are always absent from each other when it comes to linkage.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 pm

HMM yea that is what I was afraid off. So then its probably better for them to just iron out a couple of things on this one and do a new souls series game. But that might take a while. So in the mean time why not improve this one I say.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm

i say demon's souls 2.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:18 pm

A sequel would be great...but an entirely new souls game would be the best IMO
    Then they can take everything they learned from the first two and come up with something even more amazing!
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm

As long as there is a murderous Red Dragon that scares the crud out of me early in the game and proceeds to melt my face I'll be happy.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Herbo wrote:As long as there is a murderous Red Dragon that scares the crud out of me early in the game and proceeds to melt my face I'll be happy.

I dont think they'd be happy if there wasnt a dragon that did this to you!

In the same way they'll put in another blighttown for sure, the bastards. :x
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Herbo wrote:As long as there is a murderous Red Dragon that scares the crud out of me early in the game and proceeds to melt my face I'll be happy.

btown is a piece of cake compared to valley of defilement
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 am

RantFromRant wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

Which part of it?

done 4-1 and 4-2, found both easier than my first hellish run of blighttown, then again it's probably because i learned souls gameplay on dark, not demons

and since they are basically the same place, there is so gonna be another one, Dev's *** love the idea of a poisonous swamp.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

Which part of it?

done 4-1 and 4-2, found both easier than my first hellish run of blighttown, then again it's probably because i learned souls gameplay on dark, not demons

and since they are basically the same place, there is so gonna be another one, Dev's *** love the idea of a poisonous swamp.

its not nearly as big as vod, no rusted ring and i love dark souls but FROM basically copied and pasted most of the game worlds. moreover id like to think that tomb of the giants is the land of the giants, just sharing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 am

well.. you gotta think 4-1 is the size blighttown, just that blighttown is 4-1 and 4-2 combined. Also i never have rusted ring in blighttown. ever lol XD and you played demons first right? thats why we have differing opinions me thinks silly

yeah i think that a lot of worlds and enemies were sorta lazy, and i can instantly match up core concepts of bosses/mobs to eachother across games.the hollows even have same moveset.. lol

Still think though that they're both crazy good big grin
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 am

i think demon's is better, specially the upgrading system and yeah i played demon's souls, it ruined most games for me, even my beloved turned based rpg's(not the good ones), the only game im waiting for right no is nino kuni, its been years since a good tbrpg came out.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am

RantFromRant wrote:i think demon's is better, specially the upgrading system

well iv been slightly baffled a bit by it, is more complicated but i have to say i prefer it to having catch all titanites. i have a pet hatred of fact they created green shards..

but yeah i think maybe a compromise between the two to simplify the original slightly, but not delve into upgrade systems that restrict possibilities.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am

should still be a D#### SOULS but what name... daemon souls, to light? Dragon souls? Drake souls? any other title idea's?
    stale
    stale

Post by stale Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:should still be a D#### SOULS but what name... daemon souls, to light? Dragon souls? Drake souls? any other title idea's?

I saw someone on YouTube mention "Damned Souls." I thought that was pretty good! Better than a Russian novel name...

I think there should be a new Souls game -- if the developers are up to it -- but I figure they must be a bit burnt out as it is. Who knows, but would rather they wait until next gen or else the visuals & physics will feel a bit samey by then (they already did with Dark). There's just a lot these consoles can't seem to handle (and I wasn't one of the complainers about the framerates in Blighttown, but there's lots of parts where sections are walled off by invisible walls, or enemies start backtracking once they've left their areas).

Creating a whole new world of lore must be frustrating when you end up making a game that's pretty similar otherwise. It might have made sense with Dark Souls because they were branching out to multiplatform, and introducing the game to a new audience, but to do the same all over again seems a bit absurd. As someone else said, Dark Souls lends itself better to a sequel -- the ending feels intentionally vague. That said, so far the series has worked well with each game being a self-contained unit.

Last edited by stale on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 am; edited 2 times in total
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 am

Let's all learn a lesson from Final Fantasy 13-2A: sequels in a non-sequential game series are ludicrous at best.
    lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

Post by lucanious Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:35 am

i would like them to wait for a ps4 to come out in 2014 and make a new souls game more akin to demon souls in that it had secrets that you didnt get told about. like mephistophiles and i would also like a return and possible amplification of a more in depth attribute, damage, resistance system. not to mention upgrades were dumbed down hardcore. there are some things that have to return: patches, poisenous hated swamp nobody wants to be in, dragon that *** your day. but i would liek some subtle changes, i like the nexus, it was awesome. the firelink shrine felt unsafe and under populated. i want to have more people, not like alot more just a handful more than the sparse handful we have. and i want them to remain in the safe area after their mini story or rescue is complete.i love how the games have unique dialogs depending on your skills, actions, items and story progress as well. i think it should be a spiritual successor and not a direct sequel, i did and didnt like how much more myth was in DKS than demon souls.but yea thats my 2 cents
    sids09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids09 Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 am

Under-populated? I guess as a pseudo-nexus, maybe.... But overall I thought there was entirely too much alive stuff in Dark Souls. Demon's, it was like "There are ten people left in the universe. Also, one of them is eating the other nine." There's no substitute for that.
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Post by DarkSect Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 am

So you (I mean the majority) want a "new" souls game, but you also want the nexus and you want it to be more like the first game. That would be Demons Souls 2 if i am right. Funny big grin
    If i had to choose i would also say a brand new souls game. But i know that this will not happen thus fast, maybe this gen will never see a next souls game, hence a sequel could satisfy us fans a little more until their new souls. From Software is not a small developing company anymore. They have more than one team, so they could already be working an sequel as well as on a new game, maybe for the next gen.
    Just imagine the following:
    The story continues right after the events of dark souls. Something happens and you are transported to a new land and for a reason you lose all of your power and your gear. You have to rise again, kindle all the new bonfires and defeat massive and intimidating Bosses all that in vast and grim dark world. i am talking about new types of enemies, new weapons and armor, and yeah whatever even a new upgrade path for the weapons.
    New sorcery, maybe elemental like water, wind, earth and ice which could also be working for weapons.
    Now tell me that you would not find that freaking awesome. Come on, guys i know you would big grin. We are all addicted to From Softwares souls titles after all.
    And they are japanese developers. I can assure you they would do it with the maximum passion to not just bring out a new game but a new quality experience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am