Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Question for the PS3 savants out there...

sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Question for the PS3 savants out there... Empty Question for the PS3 savants out there...

Post by sen545331 Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 pm

I downloaded the most recent update, was going fine for the download, it started installing, then, unfortunately, it froze at 99% of the install.

At first I just thought it was taking a while to finish up (happens for some things) so I just let it run for a while, did some other things, came back, it was still there....

Now, I can't do anything with my PS3. If I try to restart it, it goes back to the install and subsequently stops at 99% every time. Tried the PS3 support page and even tried to get into safe mode, all it does is go into the install again (thus stopping at 99%).

Any ideas?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Question for the PS3 savants out there... Empty Re: Question for the PS3 savants out there...

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Well , shi*. This happened when I tried to download Mortal Kombat patch. Dark souls went fine, no problem, but the same thing that hapenned to you hapened to me in MK. What I did is to turn off the PS3, then turn on and play it again but offline. I could play offline normally, and then I quit and tried online. The download worked fine.
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Question for the PS3 savants out there... Empty Re: Question for the PS3 savants out there...

Post by sen545331 Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

but mine is during the system patch install, i can't get past it or cancel it
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh man this sucks. Here it went normally. Have you tried to create another offline account, then do it? This may have something about your main account. In last case you need to take your PS3 to a mechanic or something.
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sen545331 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:13 pm

hmm, i wonder if geeksquad knows anything, i'll try this weekend i guess...
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm

There is a chance that your system won't need to be recovered, but...you might be doing a full recover since it hung up during the OS install.....First let's get positive and go the non-destructo route big grin

Unplug any controllers or other interface attachments, usb drives, etc.

With the system in stand by mode (red light on the power button) press and hold the power button and the system will turn on and then turn off again (keep holding the button through this whole thing).

Now that the system is off give it the good ol' fashioned 2 second delay and then press and hold the power button. You will hear the initial beep as it begins powerup. Keep holding that power button until you hear a followup two beeps (beepbeep) and then release the power button.

At this point the PS3 will tell you to plug in a controller via the USB cable. This will bring up the recovery menu. You should see 6 menu items. You want to pick "Restart System" only at this time....anything else might get...wipe-happy with your system if it finds any bad files.

If the system is still more or less intact it'll start up at this point and you can try to run the update on it again (singing happy songs and skipping down the road).

If the system is hosed then it won't start up and you'll have to repeat the process to access the recovery menu again. This time choose "system update" and let it do its thing. Hopefully it'll stop hanging up.

If you still hang at 99%...you're going to have to restore the system which will wipe the hard drive (any unsynced trophies, all game saves not backed up elsewhere or uploaded to PSN...). Hopefully it's not this drastic. And if it is, hopefully you've got a recent backup big grin
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sen545331 Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:07 am

oddly enough, i decided to turn it on before work yesterday, come home, its still at 99% (9ish hours later)

sit at my computer to look at the support forums and such for playstation when i hear the beep/click sound the ps3 makes when an install finishes, look over, the screen is refreshing...

now, i have no clue what happened, all of a sudden it decides to work, that being said, i might just go for a new HDD or PS3 this weekend because the HDD was dying as it was....

I guess that's just how things go, sigh
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 am

They just dont build game consoles like they used to :-)

I miss being able to fix ANY problem by simply blowing on a cartridge :-)
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Your PS3 was wondering how long you could wait, and then lost its patience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am