Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Dubscythe
LordRevan
retro
7 posters

petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play Empty petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play

Post by retro Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:02 am

Peeve Peeverson created this petition here:
    Appoint trusted members of the Dark Souls community as game moderators

I personally would've preferred something like "Appoint moderators or an automated stat checking system to ban cheaters from online play", to offer more solutions on how they could intervene with all the cheating, but I strongly agree with the general idea and sentiment. Something should be done, because apparently reporting cheating players has had no effect.

Things like stat modding could be automatically found (stats that don't add up like a lot of the players in the Book of the Guilty on PC), and things like impossibly high HP.

Duping is a more contentious issue. If people 'cheat' only to replicate the BB glitch, I and someone like Peeverson don't think that should be ban worthy, nor should any mod that doesn't affect multiplayer nearly as badly as modding stats does.

Even if you think the petition is unlikely to be successful, it only takes a moment and I encourage people to sign it. At the least, having more signatures certainly won't hurt its chances. Even if its not successful, it could be a way for From to learn from this experience and create a system that punishes cheaters for their next title.

Just take a look at this video from the arena (PtD/ DLC PvP spoiler):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMCvVt5mcnQ

Painful to watch.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play Empty Re: petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play

Post by LordRevan Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 am

*Sigh* Another petition... :roll:
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play Empty Re: petition to appoint community members as game moderators (or some alternative) to suspend cheaters from online play

Post by Dubscythe Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:25 am

I don't think Fromsoft would EVER go for something like this.

Last edited by Dubscythe on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:26 am

I'm just as skeptical about the effectiveness of the petition as others, but I think it's better to attempt to send a message that we're concerned about the cheating and want them to consider solutions.

I'm not a blind supporter of the myriad petitions that have been created thus far (I disagreed with the recent one about the timing of the DLC release), but cheating is something that can significantly impact the quality of the online experience.

If you can think of other possible solutions to help From / Nacmo / GFWL understand that we want effective actions against cheaters, please share them here. I can understand why people will be jaded about petitions, but I strongly believe this is one actually worth considering.

Dubscythe wrote:I don't think Fromsoft would EVER go for something like this.
    Perhaps not, but as I suggested in the OP,
    Retro wrote:Even if you think the petition is unlikely to be successful, it only takes a moment and I encourage people to sign it. At the least, having more signatures certainly won't hurt its chances. Even if its not successful, it could be a way for From to learn from this experience and create a system that punishes cheaters for their next title.
    happy
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

Anyone outside the company that made the game could not be trusted with this task. Every decision ever made by a human is based on personal biased and unless that biased is coming from a position of "We created this game so we dictate how it goes" it will be unfair to at least a minority.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm going to create a petition to stop petitions!
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Moonlight Knight wrote:I'm going to create a petition to stop petitions!

Ill sign. Seriously, ill sign.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:
    Moonlight Knight wrote:I'm going to create a petition to stop petitions!

Ill sign. Seriously, ill sign.

do it. i dunno what it is but these petitions are getting ridiculous. I gladly signed the one to get dark souls on the PC, and the one appealing to release the prepare to die edition/dlc for consoles, but this one and many others just aren't worthy of a petition. they don't merit it.

Petitions should be saved for important matters, rather than a few guys being **** on a computer game
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

I don't think this even has a chance of being successful, even if it gets 100,000+ signatures. It's not something that's really possible to install unless it was an automated system, which isn't going to happen, and even then it could only check for irregular stats.

I think another failed petition is just sending another bad message to FROM, who are already hesitant about continuing the series (we've all read that interview), that people aren't happy with the game. It's not the game or developers at fault here, it's the people who abuse it and Games for Windows Live for not enforcing their policies on cheating/hacking.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:15 pm

zzombieboy wrote:I don't think this even has a chance of being successful, even if it gets 100,000+ signatures. It's not something that's really possible to install unless it was an automated system, which isn't going to happen, and even then it could only check for irregular stats.

I think another failed petition is just sending another bad message to FROM, who are already hesitant about continuing the series (we've all read that interview), that people aren't happy with the game. It's not the game or developers at fault here, it's the people who abuse it and Games for Windows Live for not enforcing their policies on cheating/hacking.

Games for windows live and xbox live mostly. I played on xbox first and i know that people mod their saves but i've heard the PSN games are either harder to hack or sony is sterner with their rules. Though i'm not a big ps3 gamer so I dont know really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm