Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Bcc17
Tegu
6 posters

+15 claymore or +5 divine claymore

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

+15 claymore or +5 divine claymore Empty +15 claymore or +5 divine claymore

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 pm

I plan on maxing everything eventually, but which one will give me more damage?
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

+15 claymore or +5 divine claymore Empty Re: +15 claymore or +5 divine claymore

Post by Bcc17 Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 pm

+20

Unless you're going to fight a **** ton of skeletons.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Bcc17 wrote:+20

Thank you for the advice, how do you upgrade past +15 in this game?
    Also, how come the added damage from the divine totals to more than 200, while you only do around 100 with each attack
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Divine Weapons have split damage, and some enemies might only take the damage from physical or magic on the weapon.

Last edited by Bcc17 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Tegu wrote:

Also, how come the added damage from the divine totals to more than 200, while you only do around 100 with each attack

You have to go past Anor Londo and descend through the Great Hollow. Once you enter from that side you find it just before you meet the pygmy. It's not that long though you should be cool without a walkthrough big grin
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:
    Tegu wrote:

You have to go past Anor Londo and descend through the Great Hollow. Once you enter from that side you find it just before you meet the pygmy. It's not that long though you should be cool without a walkthrough big grin

How do I even get into the great hallow?
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:13 pm

The +20 thing was a joke lol!

I would prefer +15 over Divine +5 or +10 because the Divine Magical damage doesn't really have much use against enemies unless you're running through catacombs for the first time. Standard weapons (+15) can also be buffed too. If you are really leaning toward faith weapons, I would recommend Occult +5.

EDIT: Also, to get to the Great Hollow if you want the Cloranthy Ring and the secrets therein, you can access it through Blighttown swamp, left side inside the giant tree surrounded by leeches.

Whalecum to the forums!

Last edited by Bcc17 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Tegu wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:
    Tegu wrote:

How do I even get into the great hallow?

Haha, i'm sorry bro. We've been messing with you and it got a lil far silly

But yeh forget everything we said!! It depends on your build really. If you're going to go with faith then you have two options;

You can either go down the divine weapon path and you will get a attack rating increase for whichever weapon you make divine, and it will do higher damage depending on your faith stat.

You could also go down the route of upgrading to +15 and then acquiring the "Sunlight Blade" spell. This is a buff which you'd use just like a spell, and it makes your weapon go all lightning **** and messes people up.

If you use this website: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

you can equip the weapon you want to check out, set your stats to what you want them to be when you're at different levels and switch the weapon between +15 and Divine.

It wont be able to show you your damage with the Sunlight Blade, but I would say go with +15 and Sunlight blade. It really, really messes people up if you have 40 in STR or DEX, depending on which weapon it is.

Ps. Whalecum to the forums big grin
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'm new to this game and I'm just here for mainly pve and co-op.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 pm

You should post your build first, then we can help you big grin
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Tegu wrote:Thank you for the reply. I'm new to this game and I'm just here for mainly pve and co-op.

For PvE, you will need a divine weapon when you go to the catacombs winking

Also yeh, if you use that link i gave you to program what you're using now in then we can properly help you, like Spurgun said!
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Vit 13
    Atun 12
    End 20
    Str 19
    Dex 14
    Int 14
    Faith 14

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=cHlyb21hbmNlciwxOSwxMiwyMCwxOSwxNCwxMiwxNCwxNCwwLDQsNCw0LDQsMjIsMzEsMjQsMTEyLDE2MiwxMjQsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLDAsMjUsNDcsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwxLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbg==
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Neither upgrade would help you much right now. An elemental weapon would be best for that build.
    But i'm sure of that you will go to a higher sl, so could you post what your build would look like later on?
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Spurgun wrote:Neither upgrade would help you much right now. An elemental weapon would be best for that build.
    But i'm sure of that you will go to a higher sl, so could you post what your build would look like later on?
    The thing is, I have no idea what it should look like.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Do you want to play PvP or PvE?
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:10 pm

If you're going PvE, which I think you already said you were, you're better talking to Spurgun than me big grin
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14 pm

For PVE you'll want at least one Divine something-or-other, so if you like the Claymore, go for it. You can always upgrade the Claymore you'll get in New Game+ along the +15 path. If you're going to keep leveling everything up and not bother with a more focused pvp-type build, Most your weapons will do better at +15 eventually; especially since you can buff them.

Personally I'd say ignore lightning and fire weaps (Chaos is pretty good though) unless you have trouble getting through New Game. After you get through NG+ or so they'll be too weak for you to bother with.

*edit* and btw, Divine goes to +10, but you may already know that.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 am

As others have said, which option is better depends on your build. +15 weapons do more damage in general, but only if you have the stats to derive good scaling damage from them. So if you want to focus on strength and dexterity, a claymore +15 is going to be better than a divine claymore +10. That said, a character with high faith will get much better mileage out of a divine weapon unless you're very fond of buffs.

I notice that your stats are pretty spread out, though. Usually, I'd advise against that, but you still have options. I suggest buffing your strength to 24 and your dexterity to 18 to begin with, and then moving both your intelligence and faith up to either 18 or 20, but ensuring that both are the same.

So your stats should look like this:

• Strength 24
    • Dexterity 18
    • Intelligence 18/20
    • Faith 18/20

The first set of stats allows you to use the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. The second allows you to use the regular Greatsword of Artorias. You can get this weapon by defeating a forest boss called Sif and keeping her soul. When you go to Anor Londo, you can find a very large blacksmith who can ascend +10 weapons to special weapons using boss souls. I believe a broken straight sword +10 will ascend into the Greatsword of Artorias, and other swords +10 will ascend into the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias.

Both of Artorias' swords will scale well with both strength and dexterity. The non-cursed version also scales nicely with intelligence and faith, but has the split normal/magic damage, so it will be somewhat less powerful. That said, the normal version of the sword also has a whopping 140 divine modifier, meaning an extra 40% damage against enemies weak to the divine effect and, I believe, invading phantoms as well.

18-20 intelligence and faith will also give you a lot of options when it comes to spellcasting, so you can use the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst for sorceries or the Thorolund Talisman for miracles. Both of these spellcasting items give static magical adjustment values, which basically means that the effectiveness of spells will be constant and not depend on your intelligence or faith stats. This is good, because 18-20 in those stats won't give you a whole lot of effectiveness with regular spellcasting items, but those particular ones will mean that your intelligence and faith "count as" being much higher than they actually are for the purposes of calculating damage and healing values.

In addition, 24 strength and 18 dexterity means you can use a variety of different weapons and get some scaling damage out of them. For instance, the Black Knight sword, which is a superb weapon for new players and still a strong one for experienced ones.

With these stats, you can then decide where to place your focus. Just remember that you want to be increasing your endurance as well, and while vitality can certainly be helpful, it's not half as important as it might at first seem. When you've achieved the stats set out here, plus a good level of endurance, you can then decide where you want to develop your character more. Just remember that an effective character should eventually reach 40 endurance, but no more.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 am

Siegfried. wrote:As others have said, which option is better depends on your build. +15 weapons do more damage in general, but only if you have the stats to derive good scaling damage from them. So if you want to focus on strength and dexterity, a claymore +15 is going to be better than a divine claymore +10. That said, a character with high faith will get much better mileage out of a divine weapon unless you're very fond of buffs.

I notice that your stats are pretty spread out, though. Usually, I'd advise against that, but you still have options. I suggest buffing your strength to 24 and your dexterity to 18 to begin with, and then moving both your intelligence and faith up to either 18 or 20, but ensuring that both are the same.

So your stats should look like this:

• Strength 24
    • Dexterity 18
    • Intelligence 18/20
    • Faith 18/20

The first set of stats allows you to use the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. The second allows you to use the regular Greatsword of Artorias. You can get this weapon by defeating a forest boss called Sif and keeping her soul. When you go to Anor Londo, you can find a very large blacksmith who can ascend +10 weapons to special weapons using boss souls. I believe a broken straight sword +10 will ascend into the Greatsword of Artorias, and other swords +10 will ascend into the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias.

Both of Artorias' swords will scale well with both strength and dexterity. The non-cursed version also scales nicely with intelligence and faith, but has the split normal/magic damage, so it will be somewhat less powerful. That said, the normal version of the sword also has a whopping 140 divine modifier, meaning an extra 40% damage against enemies weak to the divine effect and, I believe, invading phantoms as well.

18-20 intelligence and faith will also give you a lot of options when it comes to spellcasting, so you can use the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst for sorceries or the Thorolund Talisman for miracles. Both of these spellcasting items give static magical adjustment values, which basically means that the effectiveness of spells will be constant and not depend on your intelligence or faith stats. This is good, because 18-20 in those stats won't give you a whole lot of effectiveness with regular spellcasting items, but those particular ones will mean that your intelligence and faith "count as" being much higher than they actually are for the purposes of calculating damage and healing values.

In addition, 24 strength and 18 dexterity means you can use a variety of different weapons and get some scaling damage out of them. For instance, the Black Knight sword, which is a superb weapon for new players and still a strong one for experienced ones.

With these stats, you can then decide where to place your focus. Just remember that you want to be increasing your endurance as well, and while vitality can certainly be helpful, it's not half as important as it might at first seem. When you've achieved the stats set out here, plus a good level of endurance, you can then decide where you want to develop your character more. Just remember that an effective character should eventually reach 40 endurance, but no more.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    This is a lot of help to me!
    I'm thinking about making a +10 broken sword hilt just to make a Artorias GS
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 am

If you want the Greatsword of Artorias, then by all means go for it. It's not the most absolutely powerful weapon in the game, but it's a very solid choice and its versatile scaling options mean that a variety of different character types can get good scaling damage from it. Furthermore, its light attack animations (one-handed and two-handed) are identical to those of other greatswords, including the claymore. So you should already be very comfortable with how to fight with the weapon as soon as you get it.

Just remember that weapons born from boss souls use Demon titanite to upgrade, so you might want to seek out and defeat some titanite Demons before ascending it, so you can upgrade it off the bat. The first two upgrades require one Demon titanite each; the third and fourth upgrades require two pieces each; the fifth and final upgrade requires four pieces. Don't worry about getting it to +5 instantly -- just have a few pieces of Demon titanite so you can get two or three upgrade levels out of it.

The enemies that drop Demon titanite are large, headless statues with long tails and polearms. If you go down the stairs from Andre the Blacksmith (the blacksmith in the Undead Parish), you'll find one. Others can be found in various places in the Dark Souls world, including the Catacombs, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo and Lost Izalith. I might be forgetting a few location, but oh well. In any case, this information should set you down the path of not only acquiring and using the sword, but upgrading it as well.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 am

Siegfried. wrote:If you want the Greatsword of Artorias, then by all means go for it. It's not the most absolutely powerful weapon in the game, but it's a very solid choice and its versatile scaling options mean that a variety of different character types can get good scaling damage from it. Furthermore, its light attack animations (one-handed and two-handed) are identical to those of other greatswords, including the claymore. So you should already be very comfortable with how to fight with the weapon as soon as you get it.

Just remember that weapons born from boss souls use Demon titanite to upgrade, so you might want to seek out and defeat some titanite Demons before ascending it, so you can upgrade it off the bat. The first two upgrades require one Demon titanite each; the third and fourth upgrades require two pieces each; the fifth and final upgrade requires four pieces. Don't worry about getting it to +5 instantly -- just have a few pieces of Demon titanite so you can get two or three upgrade levels out of it.

The enemies that drop Demon titanite are large, headless statues with long tails and polearms. If you go down the stairs from Andre the Blacksmith (the blacksmith in the Undead Parish), you'll find one. Others can be found in various places in the Dark Souls world, including the Catacombs, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo and Lost Izalith. I might be forgetting a few location, but oh well. In any case, this information should set you down the path of not only acquiring and using the sword, but upgrading it as well.
    There's one in Sen's Fortress, but I'm too scared to fight it sad
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:37 am

Whenever you're afraid of an enemy, use up as many souls and humanity as possible that are just sitting in your counters (but not the ones sitting in your inventory). If you have very few souls or humanity on the line, then there's no real punishment for losing the fight, and you can use your losses to learn about the enemy's patterns.

titanite Demons are weak against lightning and also, I believe, fire. If you have either of those elements at your disposal, it makes fighting them much easier. There's a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress, but it's in a trapped chest -- so if you find a chest, attack it first! Also, you'll want to find the Rusted Iron Ring by returning the Undead Asylum. If you're unsure how to do that, look on YouTube. Any video about returning to the Undead Asylum worth its salt should tell you where to get the ring, which will allow you to fight the titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress without movement penalty.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 am

Siegfried. wrote:Whenever you're afraid of an enemy, use up as many souls and humanity as possible that are just sitting in your counters (but not the ones sitting in your inventory). If you have very few souls or humanity on the line, then there's no real punishment for losing the fight, and you can use your losses to learn about the enemy's patterns.

titanite Demons are weak against lightning and also, I believe, fire. If you have either of those elements at your disposal, it makes fighting them much easier. There's a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress, but it's in a trapped chest -- so if you find a chest, attack it first! Also, you'll want to find the Rusted Iron Ring by returning the Undead Asylum. If you're unsure how to do that, look on YouTube. Any video about returning to the Undead Asylum worth its salt should tell you where to get the ring, which will allow you to fight the titanite Demons at the bottom of Sen's Fortress without movement penalty.

Do you have any suggestions for getting down there?
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 am

Fall. It looks like the drop will kill you, but it doesn't, as long as you fall from the height of the first trap bridge. Falling damage in this game is based on a percentage of your total HP, so no jimmies ought to be rustled. Furthermore, you can see if you can land on top of the first titanite Demon with a plunging attack.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:22 am

Siegfried. wrote:Fall. It looks like the drop will kill you, but it doesn't, as long as you fall from the height of the first trap bridge. Falling damage in this game is based on a percentage of your total HP, so no jimmies ought to be rustled. Furthermore, you can see if you can land on top of the first titanite Demon with a plunging attack.
    First? As in there's more than one?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am