Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
FruitPunchNinja
Knight Alundil
befowler
ublug
Back Lot Basher
9 posters

What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs?

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs? Empty What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs?

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm

For all the time I've played DS, I've never done one of these. Been thinking about giving it a try as a little warmup for the new content. At first I was tempted to go with a straight Warrior, since it can use many of the weapons and at least a shortbow. But I noticed it wouldn't be able to use any magic/miracles/pyro. The Wanderer seems to be a good class for having all options. What's everyone think?
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs? Empty Re: What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs?

Post by ublug Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Only option for a true level 1 run is pyromancer, all the other classes are higher leveled.

I always play mele, so I choose the class with enough str/dex to wield whatever weapon I want to use.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs? Empty Re: What is your personal class preference for "level 1" runs?

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 pm

ublug wrote:Only option for a true level 1 run is pyromancer, all the other classes are higher leveled.

I always play mele, so I choose the class with enough str/dex to wield whatever weapon I want to use.

That's why I used the quotation marks. I'm just doing a starting level run, not a pure level 1.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I haven't done one yet, but have been eyeing the starting sorceror for one. With 15 starting int you get a bunch of useful spells including heavy soul arrows, great magic shield/weapon, and hidden body that'll let you either stand off and spray magic, or tiptoe by tougher foes. Plus a cool hat.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm

You mentioned that you wouldnt be able to use pyro.

You can!! Remember pyro requires no stat investment, just that you upgrade the glove. You can use every pyro spell in the game as soon as you arrive at firelink! big grin
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

I think doing the game at starting level of any class is equally as difficult, or at least not enough of a difference to really matter.

If you do a SL1 pyro obviously upgrade the glove and use great combustion and great fireball(although i think that takes a lot of the fun out of it). A good weapon for lvl1 in my opinion would be the jagged ghost blade until you can level up a better weapon, then either a elemental Battle Axe or Club/Reinforced Club.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:55 pm

I've tried quite a few, but in order to hold my interest it has to have stats that allow a good variety of weapons, otherwise I get bored with it after a while. Hunter is good, so is Warrior.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 pm

As Fruit has already touched upon, each class has it's strengths and weaknesses and these pretty much level out the classes when you first start out. If it is a challenge you are after, then the lowest possible melee only character (stats wise) would the Sorcerer class. Give it a go, and to make things more interesting try limiting yourself to starting equipment only, with no pyromancies/magic/miracles. But be warned the dagger is a surprisingly effective weapon, especially against the Bosses, and so you may not find the challenge that you were looking for with this setup. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do, and above everything else have fun doing it.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:You mentioned that you wouldnt be able to use pyro.

You can!! Remember pyro requires no stat investment, just that you upgrade the glove. You can use every pyro spell in the game as soon as you arrive at firelink! big grin

It was the lack of attunement slots on this class. It doesn't have any. Although I suppose eventually you could get the Seance ring.

So, do I get the sense that the most challenging starting level run would be to choose a class that uses only melee, and no ranged (bows or magic)? I'm trying to imagine how I'd get past those Dragonbow archers in Anor Londo without being able to snipe them...
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Not necessary, but it's a start. As for the Silver Archers in Anor Londo, at such a low-level parry and riposte will probably be the only way passed them.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:You mentioned that you wouldnt be able to use pyro.

It was the lack of attunement slots on this class. It doesn't have any. Although I suppose eventually you could get the Seance ring.

So, do I get the sense that the most challenging starting level run would be to choose a class that uses only melee, and no ranged (bows or magic)? I'm trying to imagine how I'd get past those Dragonbow archers in Anor Londo without being able to snipe them...

I usually dont go higher than two attunement slots on most of my toons, and im pretty sure that two or three classes start with two big grin
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 pm

For simplicity you can just refer to these as "starting level runs".

Personally I find the best all around class to use is the Wanderer. They have high total stat points for their level, only the Pyro is equal in this regard. They have one att slot along with average vit/end and 14 dex which allows a wider variety of weapon choices than other classes.

For a melee only run however you can't beat the Hunter. 14 dex and 12 strength is hands down the best starting weapon stats for any class. Plus they start with a bow which gives them the sole ability to make it through New Londo from the very start of the game and open the floodgates. Basically it allows access to Valley of Drakes and the very large ember without having to take the master key as a gift. No other class can pull this off without having to find or buy gear first. You can grab the composite bow with another class and accomplish the same, but it's tougher. They also have above average vit/end but crappy starting armor unfortunately. Thankfully that's easy to remedy.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 am

^How come the Hunter has the sole ability to run New Londo?
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 am

callipygias wrote:^How come the Hunter has the sole ability to run New Londo?

I guess I exaggerated just a tad. He doesn't have the sole ability, but he has by far the easiest time. Any character could theoretically walk right down to New Londo from game start, pop a transient curse and kill all the ghosts in the house with their starting weapon to clear the way to Ingward and kill him. Or possibly run through the house and hope to get up the ladder without taking more than a single hit since starting gear and vitality isn't going to save you. However it's extremely difficult and not something 99% of people would attempt. The hunter however only has to run past the first area and make it to the stairs, then pop Ingward with a few arrows and completely bypass the house. All other classes need to get ahold of a bow and enough arrows first, while the hunter gets this from the start.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 am

Hunter or Knight. I always enjoy the bow at the start, and the sword. Knight more so because I like the challenge of fat rolling against enemies and bosses.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 am

With your weapons/armor not upgraded what so ever you will most likely be killed. Its not even really a matter of skill, try it. With that little amount of HP you have and weapons that do **** for damage you die almost every time. If you manage to get a jagged ghost blade drop from one of the first few ghosts it is actually doable, but still very difficult and much easier to do with the hunter.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I always assumed I'd need to have magic to survive some of the bosses, but I suppose having a toon with powerful bow skills might compensate for that. I've tried with the Wandering, but found it a bit tough. I guess I enjoy a mix of ranged and melee attacks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am