Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Garl_Vinland
XuitusTheGreat
dancash1808
Spurgun
goober0331
VeranoChico
mugenis4real
WyrmHero
Seignar
Forum Pirate
XachAttack
15 posters

Mid Roll in PVP.

XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Mid Roll in PVP. Empty Mid Roll in PVP.

Post by XachAttack Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:42 am

I'm sure there are about a million of this type of topic, but I couldn't really find them lol.

On my character, I've decided to dedicate myself to mid-rolling. I'm just getting into the PVP scene and I'de like to know how it could be utilized effectively.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Mid Roll in PVP. Empty Re: Mid Roll in PVP.

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:45 am

Defensively. Roll only when absolutely necessary and rephrain from rolling towards your opponent unless you have no choice (ie dodging wog).
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:56 am

Mid-Roll is actually quite viable. It is fast enough for you not to get punished for doing it, but it is slow enough for you not to be able to be offensive with it. I'll go with Forum and say use it defensively.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:58 am

Stack a lot of poise (+62) and a weapon that don't depend on rolls but on breaking poise and you'll be fine. This is actually the best roll for tank class, that at last they have their place in DkS PvP.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 am

Mid roll is alright but fast roll is what all the cool kids do winking
    VeranoChico
    VeranoChico
    Casual
    Casual

Post by VeranoChico Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 am

Of course defensively means you're going to be blocking quite often, either with a shield or while two-handing a weapon.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 am

Since all the rolls are getting buffed in DLC then Mid roll is gonna be more viable, but so are the other rolls..

I'm currently making a class that can work well with fast or mid roll. Just experiment and find what suits the best
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07 am

I did a bit of mid rolling when i hosted in the forest yesterday, and it's very viable.
    I did have 104 poise though silly , thought that if i'm going to use armor for once then i might as well go all the way.

You can still roll through WoG and dodge spells/arrows, you just have to time it better.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:09 am

104 poise is useless spur, it's 106 for 2 greatsword hits.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 am

I didn't really care about any breakpoints, i just stacked a lot of armor silly
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

mugenis4real wrote:Mid roll is alright but fast roll is what all the cool kids do ;)

That may be true, but you can't dance with a fast roll character :P.

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am

WyrmHero wrote:104 poise is useless spur, it's 106 for 2 greatsword hits.

Has this been tested? assuming poise functions in a similar manner to the other stat effects I would expect one or two points to dissapate between hits...

as for mid rolling its viable but not easy. I did it for a bit without noticing until the CSS came out.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:11 am

my artorias build uses midroll with a greatshield and its amazing you only roll when you avoid a spell or about to have ur stamina depleted by someone wailing on ur shield with a big *** weapon
    Garl_Vinland
    Garl_Vinland
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Garl_Vinland Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:47 am

It's been said before, but If you do choose to go mid roll, you should stack a good amount of poise with it, especially if your not to advanced when it comes to dodging (learned from experience).
    Still completely viable and can be very effective if used in the right hands.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:03 pm

I don't care how viable midroll is, I just can't do it. I tried for maybe two fights, went "THIS IS NOT FASTROLL" and promptly went back to fastrolling. I don't like flopping around when im dodging and the walk/roll animations bother me. It just doesn't have the same "I'm a bad*ss" feel to it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 pm

nothing says badass more than fat rolling or fat walking. but yeah i actually tried mid rolling and its pretty good as long as youre more defensive like people mentioned, only roll when you absolutely have to and stack as much poise as you can.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 am

If you mid roll PLEASE, and I am saying PLEASE make sure you equip great combustion.

Fight them with your great shield+ melee and back em off with a GC every now and then. It wastes no stamina, requires no investment of stats (besides attunement), and with dusk/bellowing/maxed glove, you're literally frying most in 2 uses.

On consoles, once all of these dwgr guise fall out of power, fast/mid roll will be seen a ton more often. Already got my fast roll and mid roll toons ready for combat!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah, I've been making fast and midroll characters in anticipation, and agree with others that midroll is quite viable. Not sure how the patch will affect all this, but remember that console fastroll actually slows down slightly as you go from 0% encumbrance up to 25%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jsJ8D2WKw

Midroll doesn't seem to have the same speed reductions, or at least ones that are meaningful. In other words, if you are committed to living with midroll, you can and should stack as much weight/poise as you can up to the midroll limit. This in turn opens up a lot of other options including in your ring choices, and if you add wolf ring you can get huge poise. A couple of other observations:

-- backstep will also be your friend. While you drop your guard during a backstep, you do get some invincibility frames and can also trigger one while holding the block button down throughout and you will guard, backstep, guard again to greatly reduce any window of vulnerability

-- Like faster rolls, you can still do a 180 reverse roll attack at the end of your midroll without any appreciable delay in character animation, meaning you can basically slash behind yourself at the end of your roll to ward off or at least cancel some BS attempts.

-- Finally, midroll is a great way to disguise your character build. My current favorite midroller is my "Q-ship" build -- a nearly pure Int build that instead looks like a knight, waddles like a knight, melee fights like a knight, but the moment you back off to run or heal you eat a OHKO CSS from a hidden offhand catalyst. It's amazing how many people fall for this particularly at lower levels, I probably shouldn't even be talking about it. Giggity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 pm

I never knew the backstep had invincibility frames o_o. Care to explain more about that?
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 am

They occur during the initial frames, so you have to get the timing down (particularly with PvP lag) but if you do it right you can have weapons go right through you with no effect, while you can immediately punish the attacker with a post backstep R1 attack (usually similar to a running charge) or heavier R2. You can test it for yourself by playing around with the painting guardian mobs, they use backstep fairly often particularly in the rafters, and if you try to hit them with, say, a thrust attack during a backstep it'll go through them w/o causing damage.

I'm sure there are backstep experts who will correct me if I have misstated anything, I've only really been playing around with it for a few weeks. But I understand it makes a big difference particularly on fatrolling builds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am