Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
tyrjhn
reim0027
Seignar
Rifter7
8 posters

I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP

Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP Empty I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 am

Hey guys. So i got the idea watching tyrjhn's youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb1E0iHuoRA&feature=plcp at 2:57
    and from prior experience fighting players that used the backstep.

So, not being one to leave something untested and exploited I recently set out on trying to use backsteps more effectively...

Before I go into that, i just want to touch base on some of the basics.
    -the backstep has iframes just at the start of the animation * will get stats
    -following up a backstep with an r1 gives a dash r1, the same move as using r1 during the players regular dash.
    -it's a shorter animation than a roll *will get stats
    -it only uses 3 segments of fatigue, where a roll uses 5.

What i've found is that you can redirect backsteps.
    I'm sure most of you have unintentionally done this.. sometimes when you press the input your guy will decide to backstep in a random direction.

That's very much a controllable action, and it works out of rolls and other animations with practice.

Here's what I'm talking about, excuse the quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezwuIBTe5E&feature=youtu.be
    (I messed it up due to holding the camera, sorry!)

"So what Rifter? So you can bounce around in place like an idiot..?"
    Well, you can bounce around in any direction you want out of most animations, like a roll... What weapons can you think of that have a great dash R1 but a weak roll R1?
    *Hint I'm using one in the video happy

Here, let me show you. I prefer the Claymore, so I've used that to demonstrate in some videos, again I'm sorry for the quality!

This one looks good for dead angling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6s0XRILmPg&feature=youtu.be

This would be great after dodging an attack. Don't use it if they're dashing after you, you'll get bs'd.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVsG_KOKPt4&feature=youtu.be

Now.. this ones pretty simple to do and covers a lot of distance, but it's also the easiest to punish and telegraphs a bit more than the others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgMGAK1wuk&feature=youtu.be

And I just wanted to show a followup backstep dash r1 after an attacking animation, and how it can punish someone perhaps going for a backstab.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyKh65uuouI&feature=youtu.be

Check those out, they look a little weird and I can't promise you they're exactly easy to pull off, but it's my belief that if the right weapon was used with these tactics at the right time that they would be extremely effective.

sorry my ps3 controllers dead.. i'll add more stuff in a bit.

Last edited by Rifter7 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 15 times in total
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP Empty Re: I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP

Post by Seignar Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am

Hmm...You haven't mentioned:

A) Start-up frames have invincibility
    B) The rest of the frames have hyper armor

Oh and, Thorn doesn't work for a backstep, I tried, and found out to my displeasure...
    Backsteps do give use for confusing the opponent, but their aren't many weapons that can use the backstep well.
    reim0027
    reim0027

I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP Empty Re: I've been testing backstep.. here's what i've found. WIP

Post by reim0027 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 am

The Muras BS R1 is really good too.
    tyrjhn

Post by tyrjhn Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 am

i´ve tried this with hcsm it´s a nice trick but easy to mess up and doesn´t feel too reliable
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:10 am

i think your video gave me the idea to do this.

that sucks about thorns.. ill edit that out, never use it myself honestly..
    guess i was going of false info for that haha!

and yeah i was doing this with the mura, but it overextends itself a lot when you use it with this i found..

i like using it with the gscythe and claymore, 1 or 2h depending on how far i want to go.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 am

Seignar wrote:Hmm...You haven't mentioned:

A) Start-up frames have invincibility
    B) The rest of the frames have hyper armor

Oh and, Thorn doesn't work for a backstep, I tried, and found out to my displeasure...
    Backsteps do give use for confusing the opponent, but their aren't many weapons that can use the backstep well.

for the backstep u mean? yeah, i actually want to find the exact iframes.. i wonder if lava will let me test this.

and the hyper armor doesnt carry thru to the attack does it? its just hyper armor on the backstep i thought.

just want to clarify.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 am

Balder side sword backstep + one hand R1 is also good and can dead angle on the right side (similar to run R1). A backstep + two handed R1 is pretty funny though, I only ever use it to get people trying to escape up ladders.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 am

hahah yeah man, you gotta find creative ways to use these weapons, u kno?

tyrjhn gimme ure youtube video of that dragon u were using. i want to put it in the op

i've just recorded about 4 videos using the claymore to demonstrate exactly what im talking about, ill put them up once youtubes done doing whatever it does.
    tyrjhn

Post by tyrjhn Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb1E0iHuoRA&feature=plcp
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am

Backstep does have hyper armor. I've played no poise and taken hits while backstepping without getting staggered. The frames are iffy though.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:40 am

yeah he just didn't clarify if the followup dash r1 had hyper armor.. i know it seems silly for me to ask, but i can't actually tell you if i've ever been staggered out of that.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Your attack can still be interrupted for sure, even parts of the backstep.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:39 pm

okay good. that wouldnt really make to much sense if it did.. it'd be awesome tho.

btw i added some more videos to show what im talking about.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 pm

I play locked off all the time, so I get what you're saying. It helps a lot with you're "flow", for lack of a better term. I got kind of annoyed with playing locked on all the time because you're always moving relative to whoever you're locked on to, and it's easier for them to pick up on telegraphs when their looking right at you. Doing stuff like backstepping at a weird angle and dash attacking directly into them can throw people off a lot more often then when you're facing them (ahem...katana players)
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Most of the good attacks of backsteps are from Dex weapons, like the rapier and the kat's dashing thrust. It's useless if you're using a Str weapon, as their attacks leave you super open for a backstab. I still haven't found an efficient use so I never use them.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

the greatswords have good dash r1s.
    but yeah i agree. i tried using it with the mura and glgs too and had a lot of problems with overextending myself.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm

I love using backsteps with a katana, it really messes with those BSS and greatsword users. I've run into a few people who do it really well with a GS too. Once it hits them once they always react when I backstep, great for baiting aggression or a roll.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

If i hear someone say ravioli step one more time imma slap a fool.

this was first, i doubt i'm first to find it but my god don't call it that. this techs junk anyways.

no more ravioli step. directional backstep, controlled backstep idc, wierdostep. don't call it ravioli step please.

by Rifter7 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:51 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm