Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
DarkW17
Myztyrio
Artoriasflagg
ChizFreak
WyrmHero
Rudmed
Glutebrah
RANT
cloudyeki
Seignar
roanispe
IV_Mark_VI
StockpileThomas
somnam
greeneless
Carphil
Marino.
Lord of Ash
The_Flail
SublimeSinner
Knight Alundil
TehInfamousAmos
vatar5
BrotherBob
28 posters

Why you should always duel honorably

BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Why you should always duel honorably Empty Why you should always duel honorably

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Every time you engage in a PvP situation, refer to this questionnaire.

Questionnaire for Invaders:
    #1) Why are you invading?
    -a) for souls and humanity
    -b) because it is fun

If you answered a): Obviously, you have never googled "How to farm souls and humanity in Dark Souls". Do that now!
    If you answered b): Great, you don't live under the rock that we call North Korea. Continue to question #2).

#2) Why is it fun for you?
    -a) I get to see other players writhe and squirm as they face their inevitable death at my hands
    -b) it is an enjoyable test of skill among equals (perhaps not equal in skill, but equal in right to have fun with Dark Souls)

If you answered a): You shouldn't be spending time with Dark Souls. If your therapist won't admit it, I will: you are an insufferable sadist! Seek professional help.
    If you answered b): Great, you don't have to be institutionalized. Now, if you aren't honorable, I hope you have realized that you should be.

Questionnaire for the Invaded (hosts):
    #1) Why are you in human form?
    -a) I'm trying to fight a boss and have some summons with me
    -b) I am just doing some random stuff (ex. farming, walking around looking for items you missed)
    -c) I am looking for some PvP action!

If you answered a): I would agree that you probably have every right to use any tactic, weapon, spell, etc. that you have in your arsenal to protect yourself, your summons, your humanity, and your souls.
    If you answered b): Have you ever heard of offline mode?
    If you answered c): Awesome, on to question #2)!

#2) Why do you want to PvP?
    -a) for souls and humanity
    -b) because it is fun

If you answered a): I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
    If you answered b): Great, now onto Final Jeopardy: #3)!

#3) Why is it fun for you?
    -a) I like screwing with invaders. They invaded so they are wrong, and I should be able to kill them any way I please.
    -b) I think that it's a great test of my skill and my invader's.

If you answered a): That is ridiculous! You just answered that you were standing around waiting to be invaded. You asked for it, so now you will get "penetrated from the rear".
    If you answered b): That's wonderful. Now be honorable!
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Why you should always duel honorably Empty Re: Why you should always duel honorably

Post by vatar5 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Look Skyward
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Why you should always duel honorably Empty Re: Why you should always duel honorably

Post by TehInfamousAmos Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Shrug

Very opinionated view - people have a subjective view of what honorable fighting is, some people are convinced that ganking is still honorable... I can't say I believe that but don't question the reason why others play imo, if they get amusement from being sadistic then let them. They don't need psychiatric help truthfully - now if they enjoyed torturing people irl then yes... they would require it. They use the game as an outlet for their feelings pretty often.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 pm

BrotherBob wrote:#2) Why is it fun for you?
    -a) I get to see other players writhe and squirm as they face their inevitable death at my hands
    -b) it is an enjoyable test of skill among equals (perhaps not equal in skill, but equal in right to have fun with Dark Souls)

If you answered a): You shouldn't be spending time with Dark Souls. If your therapist won't admit it, I will: you are an insufferable sadist! Seek professional help.
    If you answered b): Great, you don't have to be institutionalized. Now, if you aren't honorable, I hope you have realized that you should be.

This is entirely your opinion. Different people do different things for fun. Accept that fact and you wont get all antsy in your pantsy and make threads like this.
    SublimeSinner
    SublimeSinner
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SublimeSinner Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Two schools of thought for being an invader to me;

1. Mess up some one's day.

2. You lose nothing so have some fun.
    The_Flail
    The_Flail
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Flail Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Whelp, apparently im a sadist, who knew?
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:46 pm

I dont belive in honor I dont backstab or parry and I wear broken armor but I will do whatever it takes to win poison, bombs, magic miracles and my blades
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 pm

vatar5 wrote: Look Skyward
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm

But man, Dark Souls IS therapy! I mean, is there anything better than killing a bunch of hollows, demons and sparkly likards after a stressful day?
    greeneless
    greeneless
    Regular
    Regular

Post by greeneless Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Well all darksouls players are cursed with the darksign. Those who take pleasure from killing other cursed players have cracked and gone hollow. The honorable duelists still have their heads, but after enough consecutive losses, they will break down as well.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Is this a gag? And if it's not, can I get a definition of honorable pvp?

Otherwise, I'm sticking to and defending "fun" if not just rejecting the term in general pvp. No sense in wasting good time and intentions on miserable people.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 pm

I just assume every person I'm playing will resort to cheap tactics and I play accordingly. I don't care if they bow, or act "honorable" because they could just be full of crap.

I guess I play "honorably" in the sense that I don't fish, use exploits or glitches, but it has nothing to do with honor. If I backstab someone or vise versa, the fight is over. I like fights to last longer than a few seconds and not be a game of grab-a$$.

Just play the game and stop worrying about other people's "lame" tactics.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

First post on the forum and this is it?

I'm assuming this is an avid forumgoer already, and not wanting to stir up anything with a known name.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:First post on the forum and this is it?

I'm assuming this is an avid forumgoer already, and not wanting to stir up anything with a known name.

Hence why i downrepped him .
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:45 pm

I would just be curious to know who he really is.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

So, obviously, we've gotten offtrack. I never put out my opinion of what "honorable" means. I never even defined what a "cheap tactic" was. Also, by definition, a sadist is someone who enjoys outer's pain and plight. Simple as that. And obviously, there are some people that are sadists. I'm not telling people how to play their game, but I think that any sane person would agree that such sadistic persons need to be assessed psychoanalytically, and treated, else the next episode of Criminal Minds will be about them.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Also, I'm just a guy who thinks that all players should be respected. I am not a vengeful player, whose gotten his "derrier" kicked so many times that I'm sick of it. I'm the guy who has had to deal with so many n00b hosts who resort to cheap tactics (again, I won't discuss my own opinions as to the definition) that I have to go beyond simply messaging those hosts to never use those cheap tactics again or I'll keep killing them over and over.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Its not too late to get the curve right BrotherBob
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Prostration
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:Shrug

Very opinionated view - people have a subjective view of what honorable fighting is, some people are convinced that ganking is still honorable... I can't say I believe that but don't question the reason why others play imo, if they get amusement from being sadistic then let them. They don't need psychiatric help truthfully - now if they enjoyed torturing people irl then yes... they would require it. They use the game as an outlet for their feelings pretty often.

First off, I never said ganking is dishonorable. Second, you make a very good point that video games are a means through which people outlet emotions. There's a pilot program in New Zealand based on this to help emotionally distressed people.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Marino. wrote:Its not too late to get the curve right BrotherBob

Care to elaborate on what that means?
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Does anyone actually have any point that refutes anything that I actually said?
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

We cant have points against an opinion .
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:#2) Why is it fun for you?

This is entirely your opinion. Different people do different things for fun. Accept that fact and you wont get all antsy in your pantsy and make threads like this.
    Do you want to list any other ways that people PVP for fun?
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:57 pm

More lists, please!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm