Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2

Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2 Empty Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I’ve put a lot of thought into this and looked pretty deep (perhaps too deep) into Dark Souls lore and item descriptions. I’m an analyst at my day to day job so it’s very likely that I’m over thinking this. I’ll first give some definitions that I think are the most important to the Dark Souls lore. I’m not giving the definitions because I think you don’t know what they mean I’m doing so to show what the game is saying they mean.

This is how we see these words by our definitions.

Immortal- Not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying

Undead-no longer alive but animated by a supernatural force, technically dead but reanimated

Time- duration regarded as belonging to the present life as distinct from the life to come or from eternity; finite duration

However, I believe the Dark Souls world goes something like this

Immortal- Not mortal; or subject to death by the passage of time. However, can be killed.

Undead-Not mortal or immortal. Meaning time degrades their physical bodies and can still cause their death. However, upon that death whether it is by someone else’s hand or the passage of time they are reanimated. **edit Long story short- Undead-meaning Without true death, they can not die.

Time- has the same traditional meaning. However, time is a lot more relative to the life/death cycle and the meanings I’ve given above.

So from the intro, we know that nothing existed before the first flame except, grey crags, fog, arch trees, and dragons. Because of the nature of the dragons (being immortal) you could also say this period of time is without time as in it’s not necessary because everything is immortal. So what relationship do the dragons and Arch trees have with each other? Let’s look at some item descriptions and some names from the game.

Dragon Head Stone: "Stone imbued with the power of dragons. Rite of apostles of the ancient dragons. Gain head of dragon. Emit dragon breath.
    The dragon apostles seek ascendence of life itself, attainable by transformation into an ancient dragon.
    This rite is only one step, but it cannot be reversed until death."

Dragon Torso Stone: "Stone imbued with the power of the dragons. Rite of apostles of the ancient dragons. Gain torso of dragon. Roar like a dragon.
    The dragon apostles seek transcendence of life itself, attainable by transformation into an ancient dragon. This rite is only one step, but it cannot be reversed until death."

Dragon Scale: "Dragon scale for reinforcing dragon weapons. Peeled from an ancient dragon.
    A dragon is inseparable from its scales, and the transcendent apostles, who seek the perpetuity of the ancient dragons, have crossed the very end of the earth to seek this invaluable treasure."

Intro Scale Reference: Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales.

Dragon Greatsword: "This sword, one of the rare dragon weapons, came from the tail of the stone dragon of Ash Lake, descendant of the ancient dragons."
    "Its great mystical power will be unleashed when wielded with two hands."

Demon’s Great Hammer: "Demon weapon built from the stone archtrees. Used by lesser demons at North Undead Asylum.
    This hammer is imbued with no special power, but will merrily beat foes to a pulp, provided you have the strength to wield it."

From these descriptions we can see a few things. 1. The Dragons and Arch Trees were both made from stone, meaning they are one and the same or one was created by the other. From these descriptions too we can infer that the dragon’s head/torso stone come from Arch Trees, which leads me to believe that the Arch Trees came before the dragons. Hence, the “Arch” in their names.

2. Humans can become dragons; until that person dies then they return to human form (is that where all these dead bodies scattered about came from?).

3. The dragon at Ash Lake was more than likely originally human.

4. I also think it’s strange that in the dragon scale description, it goes from saying it was peeled from an ancient dragon, to a dragon is inseparable from its scales… Does it mean the dragon’s soul is inseparable? Because obviously the scale was removed from the body of the dragon. Moving on..

I want to speculate farther, just before we watch the intro so here we go. So what created the first flame? There are only trees, dragons and fog chilling about… What of these could have caused a fire? Not just any fire a magical one that created life, and death etc.. Well… a dragon breathing fire obviously (amirite?).. Was there a fight? Did one dragon kill another disrupting the balance that was in place, which caused the first flame and the creation of life and death itself? To cause the first flame it must have been a powerful dragon or one of the first. Or, did a dragon grow tired of the “immortal” life and off himself? Or are the dragon’s truly not immortal, and the most ancient of them died, so the others burned his body in light of the occasion. Either way, if a dragon is inseparable from its scales and those scales were burned what would be the outcome? The release of the dragon’s souls? Which would then form life, the lords souls etc? Sorry for all of the “OR” in that section lol.

It’s time to watch the intro =) http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Lore

So you could say that the flame is time itself, because before it, the land was timeless. This also explains why everything is created when the first flame appears. Once time is established life and death can be measured. With time comes light and with light comes life, light also creates darkness and with it death. I really don’t think all of this happened as fast as we see it in the intro. For example, Gwyn has an uncle All-Father Loyd. How would someone have family if you just came into existence? The people we see in the intro are the primordial humans. Though they saw the flame I do not believe they instantly found the souls inside of the first flame. It had to be a while later. This could also explain why Gywn and the others have such a hatred for the dragons. They had to live with them, and with more humans being born they had to expand and interact with these dragons. Weather these dragon’s attacked them first or not who knows, but I believe Gywn was manipulated by the primordial serpents to start the war.

Also, notice how big the flame is in the back, we are seeing it at its peak. In addition, the Lords Souls and Dark Soul come from this flame but are also flames themselves, to me meaning they are one and the same, time itself. So a person with a Lords Soul would be immortal because with that soul they can control time in a way, but not like rewinding/fast forwarding think sustainment of their physical body. Just look at Gywn in the intro, he looks tired, almost hollowed. This is where my theory about the Lords Souls and Dark Soul come into play.

The Lords Souls are the key to immortally for humans, light equaling life. However, the Dark Soul is the key to maintaining and sustaining that power, dark equaling death. Like Yin and Yang you can’t have light (life) without darkness (death). If one held both the Lord’s Souls and the Dark Soul they would be truly without end, with the ability to control life and death (time). Therefore, being composed the way they were, the users of the Lords Soul could not remain immortal because their bodies were deteriorating. Meaning, without the power of the Dark Soul/Humanity they would eventually exhaust the power of their Lords Soul and would die. This to me means that in the beginning, before the Dark Soul was split no one has the Darksign (this includes the Pygmy). Once the Dark Soul was split by the primordial serpents the Dark Sign spread and caused un-death among the common folk. This is why hollowing happens the way it does.

If you have a strong will/soul when you die and revive you would not be totally hollow. Yes, you would have lost your humanity (the darksign absorbs it but where does it go?), the sustaining/maintaining power, having a much higher chance of hollowing. But if you use the power of your soul you would remain sane, until that power runs out or you find some more humanity…

So, what do the primordial serpents have to do with all of this… They may have come into existence with the first flame or be more ancient but either way everything leads back to them. If we assume this item description is talking about the primordial serpents……

Covetous Gold Serpent Ring: “The Serpent is an imperfect dragon and symbol of the Undead. Its habit of devouring pretty even larger than itself has led to an association of gluttony. This gold ring, engraved with the serpent, boosts it’s wearer’s item discovery, so that more items can be amassed”

The imperfect dragon is the symbol of the Undead. My question is why? I think the gluttony reference gives us a hint. The Uroborus, the snake eating its own tail. I know Wikipedia isn’t the greatest source of knowledge; however, it’s something I know we can all get to and see even at work, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros Take a look at the picture, does that look familiar? The Dark Sign to me is this very picture. When Dark Souls loads up, we see that ring of fire make its circle and sit in between the title and I can’t help but imagine the Uroborus. One or all of the serpents created the Dark Sign when they split the Dark Soul on purpose or by accident but why? If we assume they created it on purpose it would seem they are attempting to create an endless supply of souls (food) for themselves. But they miscalculated, once the person goes hollow (empty) there are no more souls for them to gain. Thus why Frampt would want you to re-link the fire, destroy the Dark Soul make souls flow again. Kaathe on the other hand is up to something else… and I have no quite figured it out yet… Either way I’m totally convinced this is all happening because they are attempting to feed themselves.

***DLC speculation coming after it drops =) I’ll tell you then

Moving on to something else lol

If what I’ve said about the Lords Souls and Dark Soul reign true then this would explain why the Witch of Izalith attempted to recreate the first flame and why it failed. Over the passing of time, Gwyn and the others along with the flame started to lose their power. With the Dark Soul, the power to sustain/maintain, out of their reach (due to the splitting) she attempted to recreate the first flame which; in turn, would recreate the Lords Souls and the Dark Soul. This is what I believe distorted the “flow of time” that we read about on the white soap stone. If time already exists what happens if you attempt to create time again? Chaos and the distortion of the current time, thus creating alternative planes of existence. The time we exist in is a direct result of this, and if we listen to Dusk we get a hint about where we really are...

Dusk: “From my home I was taken, and banish’d to a plane of distortion. It was there, that thou came to my rescue”

The plane of time that we exist in is a place where people can be banished to or for their own protection or punishment.

***More DLC speculation here I’ll post it up then =)

This is getting long so more to come in the future. I plan on putting all of my Dark Souls story thoughts into this thread. I’m trying to get very specific with the way I think, which brings about a big problem. The more specific you try to get the more likely you’re wrong lol. So please don’t disregard everything I say because of one single point, there could be a sliver of true in my lore hunting. My ideas are also evolving as I dig into the lore, so I'm not saying I'm 100% correct either. Thanks for reading and I’d love to see what you guys think about all of this.

Last edited by Deathsitexxi on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2 Empty Update #1

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Continuing
    my first post

Humans can become dragons until that person dies then they return to human
    form.

This
    is going to be a stretch for some of you and I completely understand; however,
    I believe Seath the Scaleless was originally human. Furthermore, I believe he
    created all schools of sorcery (not all spells) or the magical schools in some
    way. My reasoning is,

Moonlight
    Greatsword:
    "This sword, one of the rare dragon weapons, came from the tail of Seath
    the Scaleless, the pale white dragon who betrayed his own."

"Seath is the grandfather of sorcery, and this sword is imbued with his
    magic, which shall be unleashed as a wave of moonlight."

If
    he is the grandfather of sorcery then one can believe that this refers to all
    sorcery, including Ooliclian magic.

Assuming he had a hand in creating Priscilla, this is why she has a human half
    and why she can use Ooliclian magic. The other DNA inside of her is that of an
    Ancient Dragon. I say this because if you look at Design Works Art book, her
    picture is right next to an Ancient Dragon, and her fur is the same color and
    she seems to have similar scaling. Maybe this experiment was his way of seeing
    if he could somehow return to human form, and gain scales?

3. Just look at the Dukes Archives. It was
    designed by Seath and yet it seems set up by a human longing to be recognized
    by his status, or to return to his former self… ** edit ** I missed
    some dialogue from the Darkmoon Knightess and got it via ---Wyrmhero (Thank
    you!) While this dialogue does weaken my argument it has not changed my mind.
    This is exactly why I’m doing this analysis, I have my general ideas about what
    I think happened but I can’t say that I know all dialogues and item
    descriptions! I could have sworn I read in game that Seath had designed the
    Duke’s Archives…. I’ll have to search for it! Anywho, here is the Dialogue that
    Wyrmhero posted….

Have you
    heard of Seath the Scaleless?
    In legend, he turned against the ancient dragons.
    He became Lord Gwyn's confidant, was granted dukedom, and was allowed to pursue
    his research.
    At the Regal Archives, he immersed himself in research on scales of
    immortality, the one thing that he did not have.
    … But his very research drove him mad…
    The Archive became a dungeon, a place for sinister experiments.
    Now, nobody dare even approach the duke's forbidden Archives.
    It looms over this land, high atop the mountain.
    But I should warn against even an approach

So the Regal
    Archives became the Duke’s Archives..

This is why we find Logan insane and without his clothing. He learned the truth
    about Seath once being human and thought he could succeed where the grandfather
    of all sorcery had failed. He is not hollow when we fight him.

Drake Sword:
    "This sword, one of the rare dragon weapons, is formed by a drake's tail.
    Drakes are seen as undeveloped imitators of the dragons, but they are likely
    their distant kin."

"The sword is imbued with a mystical power, to be released when held
    with both hands."
    I’ll use this to prove a point at the end of my
    speculation.

Here
    I’ll speculate what I’m trying to get at. During the undisclosed amount of time
    after the creation of the first flame, humans rising, and the war of the
    dragons Seath became a disciple of the dragons. Being the powerful wizard that
    he was the only thing he was missing was immortality. Once he became a disciple
    he realized how long it would take him to receive his full dragon form. So the
    impatient Seath used his magic to try and speed up the process. Honestly though
    I don’t think his personality would allow him to serve anyone, so I more
    believe that he used his magic to try and change himself into a dragon without
    the use of the dragon covenant. Either way, this caused his deformities,
    blinded him and made him an outcast (looked down upon) within the dragon world.
    More still, he didn’t even obtain immortality and was granted the name Seath
    the Scaleless as a reminder of this. This infuriated him and he felt betrayed
    by the very dragons he was attempting to imitate. I’ll use the Drake Sword
    description to help support this, as in; even though Seath was seen as an
    imitator (not a true dragon) he was still considered one of the dragon’s kin.
    Hence the use of the word “betrayal” in the telling of his story. As an act of
    revenge, when Gywn rose up to fight the dragons, Seath joined his cause.

Now
    what exactly is the primordial crystal then, you’ll ask. Not a lot of
    information on that really but I’ll continue to speculate… Seath eventually
    began specializing in crystal forms of magic (logan followed suit) in his
    search for immortality. Why did he become so obsessed with crystal magic? Let’s
    ask Big Hat…

Ah,
    the secret of Seath’s immortality? If you have fought him, and were imprisoned,
    you must know that Seath is a true Undead, different from ourselves. His wounds
    close promptly
    and no mortal blow affects him, granting true insulation
    from death. It is an effect of the Primordial Crystal, a sacred treasure
    pillaged by Seath when he turned upon the ancient dragons. So, only be
    destroying the Primordial Crystal can you so much as scratch his hide. And it
    so happens, the primordial crystal is in the inner garden of these very
    archives, the Crystal Forest.”

So
    Seath pillaged this crystal from the ancient dragons when he betrayed them.
    What do we know about crystal magic? Let’s see what effects crystallization has
    on different magics.

Homing Soulmass: "Sorcery developed by Big Hat Logan: Homing soulmass.
    Life originates in the soul; no wonder the soulmass draws toward it. This
    sorcery is a window into seeker Logan's methods."

Crystal Homing Soulmass: "Sorcery
    boosted by the knowledge Logan acquired at the Regal Archives. Fire homing
    crystal soulmass.
    The mysteries of souls, crystals, and
    the sorceries are deeply intertwined."

Deeply intertwined you say? As in we use the
    power of our souls to use sorcery, and crystals are the physical
    manifestation of our soul? Meaning anytime you see crystals you are seeing a
    soul taken from a body and given physical form. Is this what the crystal
    golems are? Life originates in the soul hmmm? So if you separate yourself
    from your soul and find a container for it, would you be able to die? Is the
    primordial crystal the container that you can separate your soul from your
    body and hide it inside? This would leave your body hollow in a sense,
    however; you’re soul would be protected leaving your body immortal. We know
    that hollowing is from dying and your humanity/soul removed from your body,
    causing you to eventually go insane. Seath went insane, was his soul inside
    the primordial crystal? Is that why Logan now has a crystal catalyst? Did he
    put his soul into that trying to imitate Seath, which caused him to go insane
    from the separation?

More to come >=O

Last edited by Deathsitexxi on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2 Empty Update #2

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Update #2

Witch of Izalith

In my first post I speculated that

“If what I’ve said about the Lords Souls
    and Dark Soul reign true then this would explain why the Witch of Izalith
    attempted to recreate the first flame and why it failed. Over the passing of
    time, Gwyn and the others along with the flame started to lose their power.
    With the Dark Soul, the power to sustain/maintain, out of their reach (due to
    the splitting) she attempted to recreate the first flame which; in turn, would
    recreate the Lords Souls and the Dark Soul. This is what I believe distorted
    the “flow of time” that we read about on the white soap stone. If time already
    exists what happens if you attempt to create time again? Chaos and the
    distortion of the current time, thus creating alternative planes of existence. “

I’d like to try and use some things I’ve
    found to help support this…. Firstly, I’d like us to look at some of Qualaana’s
    dialogue.

“… Hmmm…
    I have a favour to ask…
    My mother, the Witch of Izalith, was one of the primeval Lords*1*
    Her power came from the soul that she found near the First Flame.
    ..She focused this power to light a
    flame of her own, but she failed to control it*2*.

The Flame of Chaos engulfed Mother
    and my sisters, and molded them into deformed creatures.
    Only I escaped, and now I am here.*3*

But my mother and sisters have been in anguish since.
    I beseech you. Free Mother and my sisters from the Flame of Chaos*4*.
    I cannot do it myself; I lack the strength, and the bravery…
    …But you…
    I realize what I am asking. But please, free their pour souls…
    Mother's ambitions were misguided, no
    doubt, but surely a thousand years of atonement is enough**!

I just wanted to
    put this in here. They use the word primeval a lot in this game and the fact
    that Qualaana is the only NPC that I know of that calls them this.. I thought
    it was interesting to note. She was there during the Dragon Wars/Intro etc….
    She knows exactly what happened during these times

I always see people
    say that the Witch failed in creating her own flame but she did not. She only
    failed in controlling it. And that flame still exists! Which continues to
    distort time….

Later in this thread I’m going to speculate that
    Gwyn and his knights never made it to the bed of Chaos and that they only beat
    back the Chaos demons back to the Ruins. I’m also going to speculate later that
    this is one of his reasons to link the flame (fix the time distortion/sustain
    his immortality) more to come on that……. However, the 2 branches we cut right
    before we take care of the bug in the bed of chaos are likely (it’s been
    speculated before, I didn’t come up with this) 2 of the chaos daughters. I believe
    they (this is the part I came up with) are there for the very reason Qualaana
    says her mother failed. They sacrificed
    themselves to control what
    their mother had become..which was not…. The Bed of Chaos… I’ll talk about this
    at the end….

We defeat the Bed
    of Chaos, but do we ever see this Flame of Chaos? The bonfire that pops when
    you defeat the bed looks like a normal bonfire to me…. Is the Chaos flame
    located somewhere else? However…. Even the “First Flame” in the Kiln looks like
    a normal bonfire so…….Again, I’ll talk about this at the end….

I think this line
    supports what I was saying above about the Witches reasoning to recreate the
    first flame (see above). However, like anything in this game, I know this line
    doesn’t prove anything… I could try and bend it to support anything I claim…
    sooo with that said take it with a grain of salt =)

Now let’s
    look at some Pyromancy =D

I specifically
    wanted to talk about Undead Rapport because I see Shkar always fighting people
    about “undead” being alive. And I’ve never argued that, undead is just a name
    that people with the darksign are given meaning they are without true death.
    But, this item description supports exactly what he’s saying…..

Undead Rapport:

Advanced pyromancy of Quelana of Izalith.
    Charm Undead and gain temporary allies.

The living are lured by flame, and this
    relationship is part and parcel to the art of
    pyromancy. Can be used by either gender.

It clearly says “Charm the Undead” and in the line right
    underneath it, it states “the LIVING are lured by flame”. I think that pretty
    much sums it up lol.

Here is where things get a little tricky…. So we just said..
    “the living are lured by flame” and because of this we were saying
    Undead=living yadda yadda… but read this!

Fireball:

Standard pyromancy of the Great Swamp.
    Hurl fireball.

The fire damage caused by fireballs makes
    them effective against corporeal beasts and
    Undead, who by nature fear flame.

So wait? What? They
    are lured by the flame or they fear it?? Which is it man!?!?! I think what they
    mean here is…. They fear the flame when it is used as a weapon, the power is
    used against them..,however; they are lured by this same power if they believe
    they can wield it.

Next let’s
    look at the upgraded pyromancy glove….

Upgraded Pyromancy Glove:

Pyromancy flame drawing upon the latent power
    of Quelana of Izalith, mother of pyromancy.
    For the pyromancer, a flame is a precious
    thing indeed, to be nurtured, often for an
    entire lifetime. When the flame is shared, it
    creates an eternal bond between the parties.

So Quelana created
    Pyromancy… it says here she’s the “mother” of it…. Strangely enough she calls
    the Witch of Izalith her “mother”. Hmmmmmm…. Let’s look at the Lords Soul
    Description really quick….

Bed of Chaos Lord’s Soul:

Soul of the Bed of Chaos and the mother
    of all demons. This Lord Soul was found
    at the dawn of the Age of Fire.

The Witch of Izalith attempted to duplicate
    the First Flame from a soul, but instead
    created a distorted being of chaos and fire.
    Its power formed a bed of life which would
    become the source of all demons, and is more
    than enough to satiate the Lordvessel.

So from this
    description, it pretty much tells us that… the Witch of Izalith is not the Bed
    of Chaos… She is the Bed of Life from which demons were born…..Yes she’s that
    big *** distorted tree looking creature.. but… that’s not the Bed of Chaos
    either… It’s that bug… The bug is the Chaos Flame, the bug is the distorted
    being of chaos and fire. From what it looks like the bug is the physical manifestation
    of her Lord’s Soul…. This was the product of her attempt to recreate the First
    Flame… The item description is kinda confusing but bear with me and let’s pick
    it apart….

The Lord’s Soul is the Soul of the Bed of Chaos…and
    the Bed of Chaos is the mother of all demons… ok we get that….

It also says the Lord Soul was found at the dawn
    of the Age of Fire, but it does not specifically say by whom. Why not? Because
    we already know? Let’s keep reading…

The Witch of Izalith attempted to duplicate the
    First Flame from a soul, but
    instead created a distorted being of chaos and fire.

Its
    power
    (meaning the power of the being of chaos and fire The Chaos Flame,
    The Bed of Chaos) formed a bed of life which would become the source of all
    demons.

So what do we know about the Dark Souls universe. That they
    love the Yin and Yang idea… So if the Bed of Chaos was created then of course a
    Bed of Life would also be created. The Witch of Izalith was that Bed of Life,
    hence; it’s not until we kill the bug hiding within the Bed of Life does the
    Bed of Chaos die. So because the Bed of Chaos created the Bed of Life, it would
    be seen as the mother of all demons…More to come on this topic..=)

Last edited by Deathsitexxi on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2 Empty Re: Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2

Post by Shkar Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Undead aren't "walking dead", as I think you were getting at. They are still alive: their heart, lungs, and brain still work. They have a soul. If anything, they are like the character Captain Jack from the BBC series (serii?) Doctor Who and Torchwood. They die, and then they come back to life, but they aren't the walking dead.

The dragon in ash lake is called the descendant of the Ancient Dragons, but I will concede that it could mean a successor, and not an actual descendent.

Based on your theory that the flame created/is time, there can't have been anything before it. The very act of saying something existed "before" time is a paradox, for reasons I'm sure is evident. I personally believe that even the dragons and the archtrees were created AFTER the flame, as they were alive, and trees grow towards light. You know, things said to be created by the flame.

As this is a game and not reality, you need to take more of a "literatural" (since people would misunderstand if I said "literal") point of reference. Yes, we can poke holes in the science of the game and use it to create theories. Heck, I did it myself (and still do, somewhat). However, that likely isn't what From was going for. For instance, take another look at the first part of the introduction. The land is foggy, unformed, gray, and undying. These are all very "neutral" things. Then the flame "came about", and it broke everything down into opposites, even souls. It would be easy to write about how this could be a metaphor for the unnaturalness of neutrality, or the "birth" of the world.

But on that topic, let's switch gears for a moment. Do you know of fractalization? It's the scientific term for something that appears the same on every level. When you browse facebook and see those images comparing the division of a cell to a certain galaxy, this is a (rather weak) example of this. If you look up fractalization, you can get better examples. But, the point is this: the powerful souls start to look a LOT like "fire". Look at the lord souls, Gwyn's soul, and the boss souls. The more powerful ones start to turn a reddish orange. EVERY soul (normal, boss, lord, and dark) has the "flaring" effect that people think of when they think of flames. Compare this to the belief that the world is a giant "organism". If bigger, stronger souls look like a small fire, what would the soul of the world look like, and possibly be confused for?

Based on this theory, we can equate everything to a living body. Every human would be a sort of "cell", like a white blood cell, for instance. Now, what happens when the body starts to die from, say, cold or hunger? The body starts to shut down body processes that aren't as important in order to try to save itself as a whole. So, you lose heat to your fingers and toes, or your body starts to cannibalize its own tissues, all in an effort to keep the brain alive. It literally starts to kill itself off to try to save itself. Now, if the world is a creature, and the world is dying (the flame is its soul, and thus, its life source.), then what would it start to kill off in order to try to survive? Now, this process is obviously a bit muddled since humans have a stronger sense of survival than the normal body cell and can, as such, mess with this process, but this is simply a way of explaining this theory.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2 Empty Re: Dark Souls Analysis with Update #1 & #2

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Maybe it was lost in my wording (I'll have to re-read and clean it up a bit) but I am not trying to say
    that the undead are actually walking dead. What I was trying to get at is that
    they are without “true” death. Now as for Hollows those more resemble walking
    dead but they are still a form of undead…. Just think of Pokemon evolution your
    undead evolves into hollow… or de-evolves however you want to say it. I agree
    that the first flame does seem like the soul of the planet, a point I was going
    to make in a future post on here. My main ideas I’m trying to mix common
    knowledge and word definitions with me feeling out what I think is going on. I’m
    not trying to interpret things in a literal sense but maybe I’m trying to simplify
    things a little to much. When I talk about time make sure you read what I’m
    saying the definition of time is in Dark Souls, which I should probably clarify
    a little more. Thanks for the feedback, and more to come =)
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 pm

"Dark Souls Analy" it says on the main page. Just had to take a look.

I'll be back to read thoroughly later, now that I know it's safe.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm

LOL I hope that doesn't turn some people away! I just put in my first update and I have to clean up my first post a bit. Thanks for reading all!
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Update # 2 is up
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:12 am

I disagree with that last part. If anything, the game goes completely yin and yang. Throughout the entire game, it never stops talking about opposites. Gods and cultists, living and dead, light and dark, sun and moon. The only "mix" is the undead, and the entire plot is about trying to stop that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm