Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
StockpileThomas
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
vatar5
7 posters

New Patch?

vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

New Patch? Empty New Patch?

Post by vatar5 Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:01 pm

A maintenance at October 24th...

Speculations?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

New Patch? Empty Re: New Patch?

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:31 pm

tendency event? you know, preparing to make a pure black tendancy halloween?
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 pm

When I think about World Tendency I shudder. It's probably the worst game mechanic in recent memory. It's at least the worst mechanic I've seen in an awesome game.

When I found out Dark Souls wasn't going to have it, I rejoiced. Joy
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 pm

StockpileThomas wrote:When I think about World Tendency I shudder. It's probably the worst game mechanic in recent memory. It's at least the worst mechanic I've seen in an awesome game.

Admittedly, I loved it. It added a depth to the worlds, and trying to play with certain tendency events in mind such as getting Scirvir's Pure Greystone or the Rogue's Clothing added alot of replayability for me. I'll admit it could come across as annoying to others due to the fact that it's very mysterious and never really explained to the player, but it's far from the "worst mechanic in memory."
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    StockpileThomas wrote:When I think about World Tendency I shudder. It's probably the worst game mechanic in recent memory. It's at least the worst mechanic I've seen in an awesome game.

Admittedly, I loved it. It added a depth to the worlds, and trying to play with certain tendency events in mind such as getting Scirvir's Pure Greystone or the Rogue's Clothing added alot of replayability for me. I'll admit it could come across as annoying to others due to the fact that it's very mysterious and never really explained to the player, but it's far from the "worst mechanic in memory."

I'm glad someone liked it... hehe. And no, it IS the worst game mechanic in MY recent memory.

Example: "Cool, I beat all the bosses in Stonefang Tunnel and I only died half a dozen times! Now, I'm gonna go grab that Dragon Bone Smasher... Wait, I can't because this debris is in the way... And with all the bosses dead, it is impossible to raise my World Tendency to pure white..."

Pretty much every world has at least one instance of this and to be honest, I think it's terrible. There should have been a way to raise World Tendency after all the bosses are dead, and from what I can remember, there is not.

For a completest, World Tendency is truly, a nightmare.

And let's not forget the all so fun process of obtaining pure black tendency from pure white, which entails committing suicide 7 times in a row. -_-

I did A LOT of PSN quits in this game upon death because of this piss-poor mechanic. Character Tendency on the other hand, is cool.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Well it's kinda easy to get pure white world tendency with the online median always on +2 white but oh man is it a pain to get pure black...
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:46 pm

World Tendency and its manipulation was another method for encouraging a cautious thoughtful approach to everything you do. It made for a considerate risk reward factor when deciding whether to clear a board in body or soul form. Just how badly do you need that phantom, are you willing to darken and by extension harden the game? It you do summon one, best make it count. I feel it was a subtle and beautifully implemented game element and I miss it. One of the most fun times I had playing Demon's was a perfect playthrough where you manipulated tendency to see every event.

In my opinion that undercurrent was the soul of the game that latently gave it it's atmosphere and the ommission of tendency in Dark had more to do with concessions other than gameplay.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Emergence wrote:World Tendency and its manipulation was another method for encouraging a cautious thoughtful approach to everything you do. It made for a considerate risk reward factor when deciding whether to clear a board in body or soul form. Just how badly do you need that phantom, are you willing to darken and by extension harden the game? It you do summon one, best make it count. I feel it was a subtle and beautifully implemented game element and I miss it. One of the most fun times I had playing Demon's was a perfect playthrough where you manipulated tendency to see every event.

In my opinion that undercurrent was the soul of the game that latently gave it it's atmosphere and the ommission of tendency in Dark had more to do with concessions other than gameplay.

I agree with you.

My issue with World Tendency is that if you don't closely adhere to it, you can be locked out of certain events or items for the entire play through. This can make playing the game feel very rigid and beyond unforgiving. Like I said, if there was a way to raise World Tendency after all the bosses are dead, then it wouldn't bother me at all.

Other examples of this:

In Final Fantasy Tactics there's a stage that has two of the best items in the game in it. You can only go to this stage once, and if you miss out on these items, you'll never obtain them -_-

In Final Fantasy 12 if you open certain chests early in the game, the best spear in the game will not be available later. By the way, there is NO way to know which chests they are without the strategy guide -_-

Come to think of it, a lot of Final Fantasies did stuff like this, hehe.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I guess this is on NA server right? Since nothing has happened on EU since release 'cause Namco have no soul or something.. on another note it is possible to raise or lower WT after the bosses , since there is that ability to assist or hinder players to raise or lower your tendency as you please.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Moonlight Knight wrote:I guess this is on NA server right? Since nothing has happened on EU since release 'cause Namco have no soul or something.. on another note it is possible to raise or lower WT after the bosses , since there is that ability to assist or hinder players to raise or lower your tendency as you please.

I'm 99.9% sure you cannot invade or be summoned in an area if the boss is dead. If I am wrong, and this entire time I've just been skying uphill, then I retract at least some of my hate on World Tendency, haha.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm

StockpileThomas wrote:
    Moonlight Knight wrote:I guess this is on NA server right? Since nothing has happened on EU since release 'cause Namco have no soul or something.. on another note it is possible to raise or lower WT after the bosses , since there is that ability to assist or hinder players to raise or lower your tendency as you please.

I'm 99.9% sure you cannot invade or be summoned in an area if the boss is dead. If I am wrong, and this entire time I've just been skying uphill, then I retract at least some of my hate on World Tendency, haha.

Of course thou can , as long as you are in soul form for co-op or human (I think) for invasions , I have done several full co-op playthroughs and managed to complete the game first time round due to repeated co-operation of 1-3 for souls. Tis not a bad mechanic , just overly complex ... like the upgrades oh god ... the upgrades!
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Moonlight Knight wrote:
    StockpileThomas wrote:

Of course thou can , as long as you are in soul form for co-op or human (I think) for invasions , I have done several full co-op playthroughs and managed to complete the game first time round due to repeated co-operation of 1-3 for souls. Tis not a bad mechanic , just overly complex ... like the upgrades oh god ... the upgrades!

Haha. Wow. I don't know how I got it in my head that you can't be summoned in an area where you killed the boss. I can feel my hate for World Tendency lifting, slightly.

If only I knew this two years ago...

Look Skyward
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 pm

StockpileThomas wrote:
    Moonlight Knight wrote:
    StockpileThomas wrote:

Haha. Wow. I don't know how I got it in my head that you can't be summoned in an area where you killed the boss. I can feel my hate for World Tendency lifting, slightly.

Look Skyward
    Tis a shame , co-operation kept me in the game right up till Dark Souls and would probably kept me still if it weren't for the barren wastes of the EU server.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

StockpileThomas wrote:Haha. Wow. I don't know how I got it in my head that you can't be summoned in an area where you killed the boss. I can feel my hate for World Tendency lifting, slightly.

Look Skyward

Don't let it raise your hopes too much. Helping a player beat a boss doesn't raise your World Tendency, just your Character Tendency. It raises their World Tendency, of course, but not yours :|
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    StockpileThomas wrote:Haha. Wow. I don't know how I got it in my head that you can't be summoned in an area where you killed the boss. I can feel my hate for World Tendency lifting, slightly.

Look Skyward

Don't let it raise your hopes too much. Helping a player beat a boss doesn't raise your World Tendency, just your Character Tendency. It raises their World Tendency, of course, but not yours :|

So...

Here's the question: If all the bosses are dead in a world is it possible to reach pure white tendency???
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Also, I just realized I used to co-op 4-2 constantly, so I don't know how I forgot that you can co-op after completing the area boss.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 pm

You can reach Pure White in a NG+
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 pm

I feel my hate for the World Tendency mechanic returning to me...
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 pm

The only thing that made me want to reach Pure White is the Dragon Bone Smasher . And for Pure Black it was the Talisman of the Beast . And they were both in Stonefang how convenient lol!

Those were the only things worth the effort iirc
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 am

StockpileThomas wrote:I feel my hate for the World Tendency mechanic returning to me...
    Ok so I dug around a bit and consulted the official wiki and the strategy guide.
    http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
    For Pure White :
    So basically you can kill Black phantom invaders and resurrect blue phantom summons. Also suiciding in the nexus and playing in soul form means it is guaranteed especially online(servers always closer to white.)
    For Pure Black :
    Suicide several times in body form and/or killing npcs in the area you want to change, (the resurrection stones are farmable.) Playing offline is recommended.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am