Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Ghadis_God
StockpileThomas
bopjo1
FruitPunchNinja
8 posters

The Great Axe

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

The Great Axe  Empty The Great Axe

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:12 pm

The name says it all, has become one of my favorite weapons. It doesn't weigh much, does insanely good damage, and is actually faster then a lot of people seem to think. I was trying all the STR weapons out with my SL 100 50STR build, and i keep going back to the Great Axe. After TONS of experimenting and trying different set ups, i think this is the finished product. One of the coolest looking builds i have, and i buff with lightning resin. The build has a lightning theme too it. http://tinyurl.com/8aljtdh Never thought a build using primarily giants armor(even the shield) could look so bad ***.
    bopjo1
    bopjo1
    Casual
    Casual

The Great Axe  Empty Re: The Great Axe

Post by bopjo1 Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I absolutely *hate* getting one-shot backstabbed with those things...they're as bad as a rapier with the hornet ring.
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 pm

I like it! And with lightning resin on that Greataxe you'll look like a thunder god, hehe.

I actually like the Giants armor, except the chest piece.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Use the Silver Knight Shield instead, it's almost superfluous to have stability above 75 anyways and it can parry. It also lets you use the Pike, which is an infinitely better option.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 pm

**** dude I LOVE that build. Kind of similar to one I was making but much better haha. I think I'll try the greataxe out and take some inspiration happy
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

On a side note, I've recently fallen in love with the crescent axe. That **** is BA!
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I like it but I don't understand why you prefer the Greataxe over the DGA if the latter has more range, more AR and same swing speed. I would use the SK Shield + Pike as Ghadis proposed, but I would menu swap it and add 93 poise for more tankiness. Paladin Armor + Giant Legs look bit ugly, I have tried it and didn't like much.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 pm

greataxe is awesome, love that thing. i would lower my str to 40 since youre gonna be using the GA for the most part and maybe dump the rest on vit for 1800hp or end to get more poise.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:28 pm

I think this is what I would rock if I were to make a similar build:

http://tinyurl.com/92xb4fc

All Black Iron because being Tarkus is fun, and a little more dex for some weapon diversity happy
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks to you FruitPunchNinja, I've gone ahead and started a new build >_<

On the plus side, the Tarkus in the church dropped a greatsword for me to use until I can use the greataxe! big grin
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:54 am

@Ghadis: I was actually using that exact same set up, but i think greatshields are underrated to be honest. Yea you don't need tons of stability to not get your stamina drained, but the higher the stability the less that is drained. So if you block a hard hitting weapon you still have plenty of stamina to dodge or combo with the great axe. Also, the pike is the better choice, but i found that when i used it people always would menu swap to a Demon Spear,SKS,or DSS. Being a mid rolling tank i ended up being at a disadvantage to a spear user with mobility. The normal spear is just less intimidating, but gets the job done.

@Wyrm: I don't know man, this armor set up looks extremely bad ***. If i was ninja flipping it would obviously look ridiculous. I like the DGA, but i prefer the normal Great Axe. Most likely due to it's lighter weight, and the fact i just like the more realistic looking weapons. I never noticed how much fine detail was put into the great axe design, i always thought it looked so plain. Look at it in a corner with light where you can get a good look, tons of detail no one will even notice. I love that about the armor and weapons in souls games.

@Rant: You have no idea how tempted i am to do just that, probably go 48vit,40str,12dex and everything else the same. Only thing is i want to try out the stone great axe, and don't really want two pure STR builds especially with my number of save slots being full. I'm still thinking about it though, i might end up doing it.

@Cabjoy: Glad you liked it dude, your build is looking good too(greatsword is boss,and who doesn't love black iron set).If you aren't used to mid rolling don't give up to fast. There will be tons of people who just see you mid roll with a str weapon and literally wont attack you, they will just go for roll bs attempts. Cause it is pretty much guaranteed victory for them, but you get more and more used to punishing it. Overall i do much worse with this build compared to others, but i'm getting better. I do my best not to go for backstabs, cause it really does just make STR weapons look bad. It is hard to win fights though without them, especially since pretty much everyone knows how to toggle escape now.

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am

UGGGGH. Rant you bastard! You convinced me, i have a SL200 build that can use any weapon. So it makes more sense to fine tune my SL100 str build more. LOL, kind of glad the bb glitch is no more. I literally have at least 1 of each type of build, and they are pretty much my best picks from all the different builds i made. I have had more then enough time to experiment with stats and builds, no i have nothing to do but focus on my fighting. Knowing i could just restart a build in 5min and tweak something to get that little extra damage is actually pretty distracting.

Hmmmm, not even sure if i should bother with the 12 dex......would give me the partazin,estoc/rapier,and a few of the halberds. Bows most importantly. Most of those are mainly dex scaling or more for 40/40 builds...Maybe 13Dex, so i can use elemental schimitar/falchion to punish BS attempts, and use the gravelord sword....ehhhhhhh
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 am

I'm pretty tempted to go 13 dex too tbh. Since I've never really used the curved greatswords I'm kinda keen to just have an elemental one that I could pop out from time to time. I'm way too easily distracted though, so I need to be able to use diff weapons at times for the sake of using different weapons. I dig the PvP, and I like winning, but I prefer to just whatever the hell weapon I want sometimes haha.

Oh and about the midroll, midrolling is all I've ever really done! Haha. I don't mind it, but I haven't done any really serious PvP or played too many good players. I mainly just use it defensively, to roll the hell away from certain things so I don't think it's too bad for what I want it to achieve.

And I agree about your point about the GA over the DGA. Sure the damage is less, but who wants to carry that thing around since it's so much heavier! An I know I won't be using it for my build so I save myself 6 points anyway.

Man I'm super pumped to get this guy goin! I'm glad I only have to get him to Anor Londo to get all the gear I need too. Makes it nice and easy on me haha
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:48 am

yeah i prefer the ga because of its weight and the ar difference is not that much, i think its a good trade off. if you wanna keep 50 str you HAVE to use havel's shield that thing is so good its worth getting your str to 50, i would do something like this http://tinyurl.com/9bc7rqp
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 pm

@Rant: Yea i was using havels, and it is extremely underrated.Or at least i feel like it is. It has almost perfect defense, which is a godsend for slow moving tank builds. Actually a magic +10 giants shield is pretty darn good too, if you don't mind sacrificing the stability(68 vs 81). I like to have both, and menu swap. I think i'm going to go 48vit/45end/40str/12dex. Using a composite bow,partizan,estoc/rapier,or one of the halberds as my back up for the great axe. I almost never see anyone use them, but i feel greatshields are really underrated. They really compliment a STR build, well if you are mid or fat rolling. I guess that is why no one uses them, most people are flipping around and have no need for them. Oh, you know how i was going to make my SL50 build a cosplay. I'm now trying to decide between a SL50 Havel cosplay, or either Mildred or Patches. Here's the SL50 havel, don't underestimate it. I've actually made this build before, and did fairly well in pvp surprisingly. http://tinyurl.com/8bwtdae , might get bored of it though.

@Cabjoy: You should use the gravelord sword over an elemental version of the server or mura. If you didn't know, since elemental weapons have two types of dmg they actually end up doing less dmg most of the time compared to a pure physical weapon. Because the two different types of damage have to go through two different defenses, so more damage is negated. You said you didn't care much about being super efficient, so just use the one you like most i guess lol.Good luck with your build dude.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

At that low sl and with all that armor it doesn't need much of anything really, I personally hate the clubs if I'm fat rolling I'd rather go with a greataxe or a gs.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

@Fruit: Cheers for the tips dude (even though you posted the thread... lol). You know I'd never too much considered that factor about elemental weapons because quite honestly I never use them. I always prefer pumping my stats up and getting use out of my stat scaling. For the case of using back up Dex weapons (Like the mura), wouldn't the influence of the elemental outweigh that of the pure weapon due to my terrible scaling? Chaos mura at 10 humanity with my stats would give 640AR (HOLY ****!), and +15 would be 363. Though I probs wouldn't get it to +15 because I wouldn't waste a slab on it anyway.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Yes in that case it would be better, that is why i recommended the gravelord sword though. It scales E/E, so it's base AR is really high. It also inflicts toxin.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Schwing! I thought it was just poison for whatever reason. Niiiice big grin
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:17 pm

http://tinyurl.com/9f97k9g, final product? I'm at SL97... 45vit,45end,40str,12dex. I'm thinking 14 dex is worth it, cause the weapons i get are pretty useful. Compared to either 100 or so HP or a 1-2 lbs of equip. What you guys think? Magic +10 giants shield <3 68stability 72magic/75fire/75lightning. Also since it is a greatshield and has bash, the magic damage is not completely wasted.
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 am

Alright! Finally got all of my Black Iron gear, got my STR to 32 so I can one hand my greataxe, and now on my way to get the very large ember so I can get +15 happy This is about to get reaaaaally fun big grin
    DreadnaughtWrex
    DreadnaughtWrex

Post by DreadnaughtWrex Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:39 pm

My only issue with the great axe is the reach of it. I mainly use the great axe, BK greatsword or my favorite the claymore. All are jolly good when helping people out.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm

i like it dude, the giant shield is like a mini havel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm