Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
reim0027
Zakkia
Uparkaam
yupjup
chaosrave
Emergence
WyrmHero
OrnsteinFanBoy
Grack_Gor
lorenzo110
lordgodofhell
Tolvo
lextune
BackstabFisherman
Rifter7
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Onion Knight
The Letter X
eduardolee
billy_bayonet
Glutebrah
FinPeku
RANT
TehInfamousAmos
Knight Alundil
hageshisa
Kiva the wanderer
31 posters

Does dark souls really take much skill?

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does dark souls really take much skill?

Post by WyrmHero Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 pm

The game doesn't require that much skill. I made a thread long ago about this, it was called skill vs intelligence: which is the most important. Example you could be so skillful, you could run naked, use parries and roll bs to crush your enemies. But when fighting against a spear or a buffed weapon or even the new dark sorcery, you get defeated because you don't have any idea on how to counter them. My playstyle is pretty simple, I am aggressive. If the enemy is aggressive, I always got a Great Combustion/WoG/Black Flame handy. If I see the enemy fishing for backstabs, I counter backstab. I don't use roll bs nor parries because they require too much skill or effort (I get dizzy trying to roll bs lol). I don't trust parries because of lag, only one I can successfully connect is the roll parry. You don't need high skill to win with a spear, or before DLC, a stunlock from a Greatsword.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does dark souls really take much skill?

Post by Emergence Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 pm

BackstabFisherman wrote:I think From intended "Prepare to die" to apply to all aspects of the game, and your deaths aren't supposed to be fair, and could mean you get cheesed by a cheap gimmick, from either the AI mobs, or even other players.

Important distinction that needs to be made. "Prepare to Die" was a tagline created by Namco to market the game to a broader audience. It is not something From Soft designed the game in mind with, and it is something they themselves wish to distance from. This game was in fact designed to be the antithesis of cheap, and while certain game elements are exploitable by the player, they are done so in direct contradiction to the vision by which this game was made.
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:10 am

And also it's a dungeon crawler with lots of rpg elements :')

Btw Kiva, you whine like a little noob. Man up!
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:49 pm

hageshisa wrote:And also it's a dungeon crawler with lots of rpg elements :')

Btw Kiva, you whine like a little noob. Man up!

I was born to complain.
    chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 Empty yes

Post by chaosrave Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:41 am

when you see guys on youtube beating 1v3 situations you can really see where the skill gaps are... but i will admit there are bumps in skill gain... the first usually comes from roll times, second from figuring out every weapons movesets, third from figuring out the parry timings... and i think the hardest skill learning is to plan out how to attack without being predictable with your magic and melee... there are some players who are very cautious at the beginning of a fight because they are figuring out your pattern which for most people is either R1 spam or backstab fish and to beat the best players you gotta mix it up and that comes from practice
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:53 am

Warning: Necromancers operating in this area
    yupjup

Post by yupjup Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:29 pm

dark souls first of all takes skill in pve and alot of what i call nolage mased skill (prob spelled it wrong) ofcourse you can be op but you can overcome all that with skill. its like elemental build they are easy and power full and have a advantage and dont need skill. but normal builds if they are high enough can easely win. if your skill lvl is high enough you can beat anybody. but you need a certain amount of skill to kill the no skill op invaders but investing skill is in the end better than investing in equippment however the difference isnt too big if it makes sense
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm

How do I lock tyhis forum?
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Kiva the wanderer wrote:How do I lock tyhis forum?

Ask a mod or an admin to do it.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:22 pm

DO. NOT POST LET THE FORUM DIE!!
    Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm

I believe, it doesent take much skill to be good at dark souls, however, it takes alot of skill to be GREAT at dark souls. Ive seen people who have used underdog builds, and usually never would have a chance, but their skill pushes them over the limit and they can win based on their skill.

I apologize, i didnt read the last page, just the first few, didnt know you guys wanted it locked. Sorry.

Last edited by Zakkia on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Kiva, want me to lock this thread?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 pm

last post.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:40 pm

No way.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Now taking bribes for the last post before I lock it . . . Praise the Sun
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:47 pm

I'll bet on myself.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 pm

I will win!
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:56 pm

reim0027 wrote:Now taking bribes for the last post before I lock it . . . Praise the Sun

I'll tell you the exact number of 2-handed light attacks you can pull off the the gold tracer at 20 end and with the RoFaP. twisted
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:57 pm

The Letter X wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:Now taking bribes for the last post before I lock it . . . Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 639795459

I'll tell you the exact number of 2-handed light attacks you can pull off the the gold tracer at 20 end and with the RoFaP. twisted

Wrong thread? winking
    EDIT: Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 2707236321lol, I'm stupid... Ignore me... lol

Last edited by Uparkaam on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 pm

I'll give you 50 rep Reim.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Uparkaam wrote:
    The Letter X wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:Now taking bribes for the last post before I lock it . . . Does dark souls really take much skill? - Page 3 639795459

Wrong thread? winking

Not at all, my good man.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:03 pm

What sucks is that Emergence gets to CHEAT. That's right, I said it. This is rigged!
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Ah crap, E's joined into this. Gotta be careful now.

+1 to Letter X - awesome post.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm

I think we know the sexual deviant that is Amos knows that it takes a lot of skill to get the last post pre-locking of a thread...

ARSE!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm so gonna call a do over when this happens!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm