Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Ghadis_God
Spurgun
Reaperfan
PwnasauresRex
Back Lot Basher
9 posters

What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons?

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons? Empty What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons?

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:36 pm

I saw someone make a comment in a thread about strength builds that the Zwiehander isn't really a pure strength weapon because it requires some dex to wield it. I guess I always thought of big, heavy weapons as strength-class, but it seems that may not be true. Are all the best weapons for strength generally ones that don't have much dex requirement? If I was going to try a pure strength build, what weapons would be good for end-game goals?
    PwnasauresRex
    PwnasauresRex
    Addicted
    Addicted

What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons? Empty Re: What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons?

Post by PwnasauresRex Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Quality weapons scale with both dex/str evenly
    Strength based weapons scale with Strength much more than dex(if dex is scaled at all)
    a strength weapon with high strength scaling is like the demon great axe/demon great machete/Great club and so on.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons? Empty Re: What's the difference between quality weapons and strength weapons?

Post by Reaperfan Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 pm

As Rex put it, it more depends on the scaling than the weapon class. Base requirements are more based on the weapon class, while scaling determines what stats compliment the weapon. In the Zweihander example, most sword-type weapons require some amount of minimal Dexterity requirement, but as long as it scales primarily with Strength then it fits a Strength build best and is basically a Strength weapon. As a counterexample, even though Katanas have a bit of a Strength requirement doesn't make them a strength or quality weapon since they compliment a Dexterity build best in their scaling.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:22 pm

The zwei is a quality weapon not because it has a dex req. But because it scales fairly well with dex. And because you need a 40/40 build to get the most out of it.

Most other big weapons are pure str though. The demon weapons are all good choices (except for the demon greathammer, it just sucks). the Gaxe, the great/large clubs, the MSGS, the mace and butcher knife are all good str weapons.
    The only str weapons with high dex req are the BK weapons.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm

The Zwei scales equally with str and dex, making it a heavy quality weapon, just as the hand axe is a light Str weapon and the Gargoyle Tail Axe is a slow dex weapon. The speed of the weapon has nothing to do with its classification, it's just scaling. Also, a weapon that has a D/C scaling, like the Washing Pole, is most likely a quality weapon.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Spurgun wrote:The zwei is a quality weapon not because it has a dex req. But because it scales fairly well with dex. And because you need a 40/40 build to get the most out of it.

A 40/40 build must be pretty much impossible to create under sl100, considering you need a lot of stamina to carry all that stuff. Are most of these builds meant for higher level play?
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:
    Spurgun wrote:The zwei is a quality weapon not because it has a dex req. But because it scales fairly well with dex. And because you need a 40/40 build to get the most out of it.

A 40/40 build must be pretty much impossible to create under sl100, considering you need a lot of stamina to carry all that stuff. Are most of these builds meant for higher level play?

You could always go 27/40 and two hand it.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Someone here made me a 40/40 sl 100 build. Feel bad I can't remember who it was right now. I think the character has 30vit and 30end too. Pretty impresive.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:31 pm

callipygias wrote:Someone here made me a 40/40 sl 100 build. Feel bad I can't remember who it was right now. I think the character has 30vit and 30end too. Pretty impresive.

I guess with Lautrec's ring, it could be viable. Carry the grass shield on your back for quick regen. Might have to try that.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:15 pm

You don't need 40 str and 40 dex to make an effective quality build. 27 str is enough.

http://mmdks.com/9ax 1500+ HP, almost max stamina, 56 poise, over 300 physical defense, some pyro and 524 pure physical AR.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Back Lot Basher wrote:

What they said silly
    I prefer to go 28/40 though, since that allows me to 1h the mura.
    I rarely have the weight problem, since i use the dragon body.
    But sometimes i like to mid-roll with heavy armor. It's fun to just poise through everything and stunlock people with a UGW.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm with Spur. I roll with a 28/40 so I can use a Mura. Great quality build at 100.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am