Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Yarxov
bloodpixel
vageta31
Whknight
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
meridam99
ChizFreak
BLA1NE
reim0027
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Domhnall
15 posters

Easiest/Hardest Mobs to Parry

Domhnall
    Domhnall
    Regular
    Regular

Location : Crosslegged in the Sewers, Occasionally Under a Bridge

Easiest/Hardest Mobs to Parry Empty Easiest/Hardest Mobs to Parry

Post by Domhnall Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:31 am

Was messing around in Anor Londo earlier fighting the painting guardians, was going to practice some parries on them, but they ended up being rediculusly easy to parry, I dunno why., maybe cuz they dual wield Now I'm looking for some harder stuff to practice on. Darkwraiths in New Londo maybe? I've really only backstabbed them, and I havent fought many. What do you guys think is the hardest/easiest target to parry, players excluded?
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Easiest/Hardest Mobs to Parry Empty Re: Easiest/Hardest Mobs to Parry

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:53 am

i've always found it difficult to parry the hollow warriors in the burg and parish, that long wind up they have is tough to learn and really *** up your timing
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 am

Dj-B-Man-Jr wrote:i've always found it difficult to parry the hollow warriors in the burg and parish, that long wind up they have is tough to learn and really *** up your timing
    LOL, me too.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:37 am

It's true... the very first enemies in the game are some of the hardest to parry! Like you said, their wind-up is so slow, then their strike is quite fast. But once you know their moveset, they're really easy.

One I wouldn't say is so hard, but is annoying, is the faith-NPC in the forest (I call him "Leap of Faith" from my brief time as a noob farming NPCs in the forest!). He's annoying because he has 2 regular 1-handed strikes with his mace that have practically the same animation, only one has a short wind-up and the other has a slightly longer one. Takes a while to get used to parrying him because of that. A really easy NPC in the forest, though, is the Battle Axe guy. Very hard to miss a parry against him!

Easy ones... The Silver Knights and Black Knights are easy because of their predictability.

Hard ones... The manserpents take pretty precise timing. You have to get very familiar with their moveset and their timing. Same for the Great Club Fatties in Blight, you need to be pretty precise with them.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now.
    Domhnall
    Domhnall
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Domhnall Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:39 am

Oh wow I didn't even know those things could be parried. Time to practice! Thanks for the input!
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 am

Easiest: Undead Hollow Warrior with Sword.

Hardest: Silver Knight with Spear (I wanna see someone parry that guy's horizontal strong attack, it's very difficult.)
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am

Easiest: ME

Hardest: You

All joking aside

Easiest: First three mobs in Painted World

Hardest: Lord Gwyn, until you get the timing down.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 am

the spear silver knights are easiest followed by hollow any thing, then the giants (you parry as you hear a thunk noise...) and abunch of othe beasty's until you reach gwyn at hardest
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am

Easiest mob to parry? When I'm in the zone, all of them. Burg and Parish mobs mostly, sometimes I just walk through the whole zoning parrying and riposting anything that attacks me~

Hardest? I agree with everyone else on the long wind up attacks, I always misjudge the timing. Also the Silver Knights with spears, I have never been able to parry the sweep yet.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 am

I have no problem with the sweep. When you parry it properly, it's like their spear goes in one fluid motion from one side to the other--only in the middle of that motion was you deflecting it and pushing it on its way! I can't remember if that's the first sweep or the second, though (when the knight sweeps from his left to right)... Been a while since I've been in that area. But just go up to the one guarding the chest with the Sunlight Medals and stand there parrying him for a while. Eventually it'll click, and you'll parry him easily.

As for Gwyn... I wouldn't place him any higher than "medium" on the scale of "easy to hard" to parry.

Like Whknight said though, eventually everything just becomes easy to parry. You'll reach a point where you'll be familiar with every mob's move sets, and that's when you become untouchable.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:33 am

Gwyn is pretty easy to parry overall but his predictable combos make it that way. If you can block the first strike then the 2nd is pretty much guaranteed. Parrying the initial attack can be difficult because his 1h attack doesn't have a tell. By the time you see him swing it's too late to parry. His 2h swipes and jumping attacks however are cake.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:50 am

All true. But I find his weapon is long enough and his swing just the right speed, that I can parry the first hit just with reflexes. See him initiate his strike, parry just before it hits--I find the timing perfect. Just don't fall for the trap of the delayed swing! He has (vageta I know you know this, I'm saying this for the thread!) 2 similar swings: 1 gives you just enough time to parry, and the other is just slow enough that if you timed to parry the quick hit, he'll land the hit right after you parry. So don't parry blindly! Other mobs, I'll parry because I can recognize all their moves. But with Gwyn, since you don't have time to tell which of the two swings he's going for on the first strike, I find it easiest to parry him by sight, reflexively--ie just before he hits. Same as the Faith NPC in the forest.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:05 am

With Gwyn I use the target shield because the extra window allows me to get both swings.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:22 am

Black knight is probably the easiest.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 am

The Balck knights long wind-up throws me off, easiest is silver knights. (both kinds) Hardest would be Prince Ricard & the Balder knights for the rapier. (normal ones are easy)
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:38 pm

I had a hard time parrying Gwyn until I realized that distance matters. (I use the easier method of blocking first hit then parry second).

Since Gwyn has a very long sword, you can be at a distance where he can hit with the tip of his weapon, which is difficult to parry. I you move closer, it's easier to parry. Or that was my experiance at least.

This may explain why those silver knighs with spears are difficult.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 pm

hollow soldiers with spears, crazy easy.

Gwyn seems to have a large window for parrying which makes him easier, though probably seems large for something like a final boss..
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:05 pm

I find it kind of ironic, but the EASIEST for me is the enemies who wield bandit's knife (hollows in lower burg, and Hunter in forest). I almost never mess up with them.
    HARDEST for me seems to be the same with every one else: those stupid long windups some hollows have in burg/parish. But the other swings they make are generally pretty easy.
    Domhnall
    Domhnall
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Domhnall Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:17 pm

I've been practicing on the Darkwraiths in New Londo today, their 3 swing combo is very difficult to parry for me, so it's good practice. I love the hornet's ring though! With my +4 Lightning Dagger, nothing is more satisfying than hitting them for 1700 and getting 2k+ souls! Backstabs really don't let the hornet's ring shine, that thing is all about the parries.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:50 pm

@Mike Lassen

Yes, that's true. The reach on the weapons of some enemies will go beyond the reach of your parry. So you have to be sure to not just be close enough that they can hit you, but be close enough that you can parry them.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm

The ones that remain difficult---nearly impossible---for me are the Black Knight greataxe and the Black Knight halberd--their big R2-type swings, anyway. Then again, someone mentioned Prince Ricard, and I never even attempted that. Might give it a shot.

That crystal knight just before the first Seath encounter is so easy to parry I decided to fight him in the hallway last night (rather than leading him back to the room). He just stood there, immobile. Finally I poked him gently with my little estoc, just saying, like, "Hey, do something, will you?" Bastard parried me. One-shot. That was embarrassing.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm

callipygias wrote:The ones that remain difficult---nearly impossible---for me are the Black Knight greataxe and the Black Knight halberd--their big R2-type swings, anyway. Then again, someone mentioned Prince Ricard, and I never even attempted that. Might give it a shot.

That crystal knight just before the first Seath encounter is so easy to parry I decided to fight him in the hallway last night (rather than leading him back to the room). He just stood there, immobile. Finally I poked him gently with my little estoc, just saying, like, "Hey, do something, will you?" Bastard parried me. One-shot. That was embarrassing.

I had that little prick do the same thing to me. He was holding up his shield 99% of the fight and finally I got sick of it and shield bashed him only to get parried/riposted. I didn't die but, since that was the first time I had ever seen a bash get parried and the fact he wasn't hinting he would I was quite shocked and left scrambling to get my health back up...
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Hahaha thanks for the crystal knight story, made me lol! That guy is such a pushover... but nothing you could do against a OHK riposte when he was playing possum! I don't even know if he has a parrying stance like other mobs/ NPCs. Others, you know they're fishing for a parry, so you can kick them out of it.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Tried Prince Ricard. He ate my face.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm