Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

character build optimizer (poll)

Poll

damage mitigation

[ 1 ]
    character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_lcap20%character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 2 ]
    character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_lcap40%character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_rcap [40%] 
    [ 2 ]
    character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_lcap40%character build optimizer (poll) I_vote_rcap [40%] 

Total Votes: 5
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

character build optimizer (poll) Empty character build optimizer (poll)

Post by somebody_else Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 am

all tasks are now finished (except defense per level), only testing remained.

to speak honestly i ported defense per level for my self, but it will never see the light of day since i tried to contact people that made calculators on their online forms (didn't found any other way to contact them) but they didn't even bother to respond with simple "no", which probably means that no one is processing feedback. so,... if anyone knows how to contact them and gets permission, i can uncomment those lines and make that feature available in release. but, i simply don't have time anymore.

now, back to the poll... since i never got one positive answer for anyone to help me with damage mitigation (this data simply can't be collected unless there are two players cooperating) result of this poll will define if this feature will simply either get scrapped completely or i'll provide form in which people can post data. but, do not offer to help me to collect data, i simply don't have time anymore.

idea of data collection is like this. person receiving hits simply posts his character URL and stands still to get hit by:
    - r1
    - r2
    - dual handed r1
    - dual handed r2
    - ??? poise knock count (count single/dual handed hits needed to knock poise of that char). this one is maybe overkill, but it would enable calculation of poise knocking per weapons.

one important thing is that you use various characters which have defense bellow, at and above weapon damage. if i don't get enough data (about 50 or so, i simply don't have enough data to rely on) whole thing is useless.

the later implementation would simply feature it like this...
    - pick one of your saved chars in "Damage mitigation" tab when browsing weapons and watch how much damage bleeds trough with that weapon on that character

if poll will have too few positive answers, this feature simply gets scrapped. but, please don't vote yes unless you mean it and you know you have partner to help you with this task. otherwise, i'll just waste my time on coding submission form for nothing.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

character build optimizer (poll) Empty Re: character build optimizer (poll)

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:00 pm

You've done more than enough work on this dude. I'm anxious to see the final product. If anything you can save this feature and things people ask for for a future version when you have more time.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

you don't need to add it, been keeping up with how it's going and it sounds like a winner already. I think having that extra feature would be too much for the build calculator, and too much work for you.

please just show us the metal big grin
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Serious_Much wrote:please just show us the metal big grin

well, as soon as i check it is running correctly with windows and flesh out any bugs that might show. since i couldn't find any beta tester, whole "release soon" became much harder. this is why release was pushed until features are done. i kinda want win version to work with windows .net (much simpler to install on win) and mono (only choice of .net on linux and osx).

meanwhile, i also started writing web service and my friend has now officially started working on web version. that one will require way less work than this one as it only calls service and shows data;) will not be as fancy as this one though.
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm

well, one good news is that i only have to solve one bug on win, bad news is that solving won't be straight forward task

but, just for taste... (screenshot of first run on my win7, i had to disable lists as there is a bug with class that provides them)
    https://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/somebody_else1/?action=view¤t=scrwin1.png&newest=1
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 am

I've been excited since you started this thing dude. I wish I could be more help but I flunked computer programming in highschool and would probably make your life more complicated.
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

most of major bugs on windows have been solved. and i created no install bundle, where you simply unpack executable anywhere and run.

2 bugs on windows that need to be ironed out (nothing serious, the only serious bug that shown it self is already solved by bundling mono, meaning it doesn't work with native .Net, but it doesn't require install either. gtk# for MS.Net simply has one internal bug which prevents running like that. but, the only diffference is that download will be bigger)

win version in action
    https://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/somebody_else1/?action=view¤t=scrwin2.png
    https://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/somebody_else1/?action=view¤t=scrwin5.png
    https://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/somebody_else1/?action=view¤t=scrwin4.png
    https://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i376/somebody_else1/?action=view¤t=scrwin3.png

as soon as i solve last 2-3 bugs and test on clean windows machine, metal will be shown
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:10 pm

As soon as you have a finished product you are satisfied with, we will create a dedicated page for it, and sticky it here as well. This is a great labor you are doing. It is going to be extremely useful for a lot of people.
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Emergence wrote:As soon as you have a finished product you are satisfied with, we will create a dedicated page for it, and sticky it here as well. This is a great labor you are doing. It is going to be extremely useful for a lot of people.

wow, that would be great. and just my 2 cents, i'd sticky it in PvP section as it is geared to optimize PvP characters where specific level means much more than in game where you can level as much as you want

as far as release goes, after i fix last few show stoppers i'll release beta first and then work on ability to update stats definitions from web. it would be kinda annoying if people would need to download whole app in order to fix few xmls. but, fixing xmls is something that will require contributions (specifying effects or missing descriptions) as i plan to start working on web service for php web access my friend is working on. we decided on php->.net standalone service (with already bundled .net) so there is as few requirements as possible on web server side.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I'd help you with your calcs, but I agree that they can be added later. I work often so if you need to set up a time for me to help, please PM on this site. I live in EST.

I also work a fair bit to warn you.

Last edited by CrackSouls on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    somebody_else
    somebody_else
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somebody_else Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:12 pm

CrackSouls wrote:I'd help you with your calcs, but I agree that they can be added later. I work often so if you need to set up a time for me to help, please PM on this site. I live in EST.

I also work a fair bit to warn you.

calculations are done, but there are missing bits in xmls (couldn't parse descriptions and armor effects for example). all data is in xmls so edit your version and rerun is all that is needed.

whole thing will reside on svn server so i'd only need to add you as maintainer and you can work whenever you want.

although, there is one pressing task that would really carry more than few miles. i tried my best (as much as i have time) to find contact of original calculator authors to try and get permission to use their defense per level stats (off course with original credits). my work became hectic lately so i won't be able to afford to level few times to 712 to get stats. i tried to contact them on their contact form, but i didn't get any response. unfortunately, i couldn't find any other way to contact them and personal defense is kinda... really important stat

i already ported them for my personal use, but i can't deploy them unless i have permission to do that (putting them inside is about minute of work now). so... if you really wanna help... you can try to get permission for that

edit: misunderstood your intention, but since all i specified up there is true, i didn't delete it. i just saw you offered help on gathering data with me. well, as i specified in my first post i don't have time. with working on this app i barely squeeze 2-3 PvP sessions per day. you'd need to find some other player and post data, i simply refuse to lose those last 2-3 sessions i still have time for in order to tediously gather data. but, as far as extra work on implementation goes... bring me the data and i'll gladly work on it;)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm