Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Should I use MSGS for my build?

Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Should I use MSGS for my build?

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 am

I was planning on making a Dark Magic/Weapon Buff build using Manus Cat was wondering if MSGS is any good with only 24 strength. I could bump the strength up to 30 or even higher if needed, but would rather spend the points elseware if possible.

The two main questions are:

1) Should I use MSGS? (and if so, how much strength can I get away with)

and

2) Will additional strength significantly effect the damage of my dark magic using Manus?

Thank you in advance for the advice!
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Re: Should I use MSGS for my build?

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:34 am

You Should take a look at his thread first

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t15060-dark-magic-manus-catalyst-damage-test-with-results?highlight=manus+catalyst

And it would also help if you could show us what your planned build currently looks like.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
    Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Current Build

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 am

My current build is:

Vit:40

End:40

Str:33?

Int:40

Starting as bandit. This puts it at SL 120 based on the character builder I'm using.

The items are Bellowing Ring/Favor and Protection, with Dusk Crown and "fill in the blank" for the rest of the armor. Weapon is up for debate, shield is most likely going to be balder and cat will be manus. (Possibly paired with TCC for the better buff)

I will also take a look at the link you provided.

Thank you for the response, I'm new to these forums and the quick response is much appreciated.
    Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Response to link.

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 am

Based on the information from the link you provided, it looks like 33 (or higher) strength is the way to go regardless of weapon choice. The other choice I have to consider then is the Demon Machete as it does signifcantly more damage but from what I have heard is significantly slower. I would think that for a buff build that would be a serious problem as weapon speed is a large factor for buff builds.

(Sorry for the double post...)

EDIT: Swapping weapons would call for a 40/40/40/40 build which would bump the SL to 127 unless further modifications are made.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:19 am

So then you have 19 attunement right?

is this what your build currently looks like?
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=YmFuZGl0LDQwLDE5LDQwLDMzLDksMTEsNDAsMTAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLG5vcm1hbCxub3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLG5vcm1hbCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsd29vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLDE=

What spells do you plan to use, and what is your preferred roll(I'm assuming mid?)
    Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Current Build

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 am

This is the current build I am working with, the strength is a tossup for me between 24, 33, or 40. 40 gives me the most options but I don't know if SL 127 is acceptable for the current PvP scene.

EDIT: Couldn't get the link to work so I removed it, but you were spot on with the stats. The spells are Crystal Magic Weapon and all the dark spells you get in one run minus the poison one. (Is that spell useful in any way?) I plant on possibly using TCC with Manus to have the powered buff and the extra dark magic damage. I don't know if that is a bad idea or not due to the reductions. I assume they don't stack if you don't have them both active at the same time. (possibly even if they were both active...) And yes, I'm shooting for mid roll.

EDIT2: Also I plan on using bellowing ring with dusk crown, but all other armor is up for debate if you have any suggestions.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:46 am

It shows me the builder, but it's all blank

I'd recommend 33 or 40 strength but I suggest you stick with the MLGS even at 40 strength

If it's just regular PVP then I don't think anyone would mind you being lvl 127. If you do have to cut stats I'd suggest lowering Endurance a little. Also if you start as a pryomancer then it sets your current build at 118 which means you can have 35 strength.
    Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Pyromancer

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:51 am

Good call on switching starting class, that saves me 2 levels.

Any insight on the cat situation? I don't mean to be a bother, but I'm fairly new to magic builds and have little information on in depth things like this. (X_X)
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 am

I'd suggest not using dark orb or even pursuers(dark orb has slow start-up slow and you'd only get 1 use of pursuers,though it would be very powerfull if it hit's) It's also better to only have 1 catalyst so that you can use a shield but that's really up to you.

the halving effect is only effective while the cat is out, and I don't think it stacks, so as long as only 1 is out you'd only have half casts and not a forth.

It's no bother at all.

I'd recommend the pyroflame over a second catalyst though, some pyromancies would make you much more versatile.

EdiT: lol I meant dark orb, not dark bead
    Kilroy512

Should I use MSGS for my build? Empty Shield

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:00 am

LH1: Balder shield (or other shield) LH2: TCC (for weapon buff) RH1: MSGS RH:2 Manus (for dark magic modifier)

According to your link the difference between the modifiers will be ~50 which suggests that I should definately use Manus, the real question is whether or not it is also worth it to pack TCC for the marginal bonus to the weapon buff.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:02 am

cast the buff with both cataylists so you can see what the difference is.

Kilroy512

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 am

I would, but this is purely hypothetical at the moment. I'm actually at work, but the place is a ghost town for the holidays so I'm trying to iron out the build so I can get started when I get home. If you are able to test it I would be more than a little grateful, but I certainly don't expect it of you.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:11 am

The buff is a 1.4 multiplier of your madj adjust. So it would be +358.4 with manus and +380.8 with the TCC
    Kilroy512

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:17 am

In defense of the choice to pack pursuers (or however you spell it X_X) I feal like using it and then buffing before a fight starts would give me a really potent edge at the start of the fight. This would of course only be for invasions and not fair duels. In a duel it would probably be replaced with a couple more copies of the multihit dark magic spell, or possibly even CHSM if I wanted to go for something a bit more reliable. This would give added incentive to pack the TCC as the modifier will be much more noticeable on non-dark spells.

EDIT: In light of your statistics, I may opt to forsake the TCC as it only offers a marginal difference to the potency of the buff and instead opt for just packing 2 copies of the multihit dark spell, a pursuer, and CMW. That will be good for PvE and PvP, as well as reducing the micromanagement required to handle the build once it is put into practice. (It also allows for pyromancy if the need ever arrises)

Last edited by Kilroy512 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:20 am

Pursuers is a good spell, it and darkbead make a deadly combo.
    Kilroy512

Post by Kilroy512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:23 am

This build is going to require a lot more mid-battle micromanagement than I am typically used to... (X_X)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am