Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

CRYSTAL RING SHIELD

cheyneboy

CRYSTAL RING SHIELD Empty CRYSTAL RING SHIELD

Post by cheyneboy Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:04 am

WHAT WOULD GIVE THE CRYSTAL RING SHIELD MORE DAMAGE. i'M GETTING AROUND 280 BUT IN A YOUTUBE HE WAS GETTING 800+ DAMAGE. THANKS
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

CRYSTAL RING SHIELD Empty Re: CRYSTAL RING SHIELD

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 am

It was probably before the first patch. It was severely nerfed after that
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:20 am

I hope you realize your caps lock is active silly

They nerved the shield because it turned most bosses into a joke.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:47 am

As these fine posters before me have said, the video you saw was likely made shortly after Dark Souls was released, and before the game recieved any of its patches. Back then, the shield scaled differently. When held in your left hand, the damage of its special attack would be determined by the Attack Rating of whatever weapon you were holding in your right hand when the attack was used. The stronger the weapon in the right hand, the more damage the shield did. 800 damage per shield shot was entirely normal if you had a semi-large weapon of any kind, with Black Knight and Elemental weapons being the most popular.

However, this ended up making it a much too powerful tool for PvE. 800 damage every ~2 seconds made bosses fall apart like paper mache (did I spell that right? I think there's an accent over the "e" I missed :|), and the fact that it took hardly any stat investment to use (minimum requirements of wielding your right-hand weapon, to be precise) made it so anybody could breeze through the game with a single trip to the Giant Blacksmith. As a result, in the first live patch to the game, they nerfed it's damage. I don't know exactly how it works now, but I know for a fact it no longer reads off of the main-hand's weapon. I believe now it's either static damage that doesn't scale with any stats and can only be increased by upgrading the weapon, or it may scale a bit with Intelligence (and if it does, it isn't by any really noticeable amount).

EDIT: According to our very own wiki, it does still scale with main-hand weapon damage, but with a much smaller multiplier. However, it does say that magical damage from your main-handed weapon has a stronger effect on the shield. Based on that information, if you really want to get the most out of your shield, you're best off using a weapon with large amounts of magical damage such as the Moonlight Greatsword or a weapon that's been upgraded into an Enchanted weapon.

As it is now, it serves only one functional purpose, and that is to complete the "Knight's Honor" trophy/achievement. As a piece of off-handed equipment in-game, it is outclassed defensively by the Crest Shield, and offensively by Bows, Crossbows, and Catalysts. There is simply no real reason to use this shield anymore sad

Last edited by Reaperfan on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 am

Reaperfan wrote:As these fine posters before me have said, the video you saw was likely made shortly after Dark Souls was released, and before the game recieved any of its patches. Back then, the shield scaled differently. When held in your left hand, the damage of its special attack would be determined by the Attack Rating of whatever weapon you were holding in your right hand when the attack was used. The stronger the weapon in the right hand, the more damage the shield did. 800 damage per shield shot was entirely normal if you had a semi-large weapon of any kind, with Black Knight and Elemental weapons being the most popular.

However, this ended up making it a much too powerful tool for PvE. 800 damage every ~2 seconds made bosses fall apart like paper mache (did I spell that right? I think there's an accent over the "e" I missed :|), and the fact that it took hardly any stat investment to use (minimum requirements of wielding your right-hand weapon, to be precise) made it so anybody could breeze through the game with a single trip to the Giant Blacksmith. As a result, in the first live patch to the game, they nerfed it's damage. I don't know exactly how it works now, but I know for a fact it no longer reads off of the main-hand's weapon. I believe now it's either static damage that doesn't scale with any stats and can only be increased by upgrading the weapon, or it may scale a bit with Intelligence (and if it does, it isn't by any really noticeable amount).

As it is now, it serves only one functional purpose, and that is to complete the "Knight's Honor" trophy/achievement. As a piece of off-handed equipment in-game, it is outclassed defensively by the Crest Shield, and offensively by Bows, Crossbows, and Catalysts. There is simply no real reason to use this shield anymore sad

Highest Magic resistance.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:03 am

Jester's Tears wrote:Highest Magic resistance.

It only beats the Crest Shield by 10%, and it only has only 40 stability at all upgrade levels. With it's higher stability, ability to parry, and 100% physical damage block the Crest Shield beats it out in general as defensive gear, especially with the rise of Dark Sorceries and their split physical/magical damage. Unless you're facing a mage who uses no Dark Sorceries or melee weapons, there is a very small chance that a bit more magical damage reduction is going to make that great of a difference.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Jester's Tears wrote:Highest Magic resistance.

It only beats the Crest Shield by 10%, and it only has only 40 stability at all upgrade levels. With it's higher stability, ability to parry, and 100% physical damage block the Crest Shield beats it out in general as defensive gear, especially with the rise of Dark Sorceries and their split physical/magical damage. Unless you're facing a mage who uses no Dark Sorceries or melee weapons, there is a very small chance that a bit more magical damage reduction is going to make that great of a difference.

Yeah, that's kinda how I see it too. Pure magic defense is pretty much all it's got, making it comparatively useless. It makes me sad. Seems like a couple a different equips have no comparative use. Knight's Shield, DGH, CRS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 am