Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
raecor14
ChizFreak
6 posters

Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea)

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) Empty Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea)

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 am

Necromancy: scales with with Intelligence, it's a magic school, that has no actual spells, instead it's powers are actually abilities casted by the special attack of the Dark Wand and the Bone Shield. Both new unique weapons that can only be used and obtained by joining the new covenant: Path of the Dead.

The Dark Wand revives a weaker version of the closest dead mob, it's exactly like the mob except it's weaker and has a black aura (like invaders that are red, well this
    is all black with a white silhouette, to give a ghostly feeling, think of the aura
    humanity mobs have but with the shape of the mob revived).

The Dark Wand can be upgraded until +15 (it's an unique weapon though) to increase the duration of the revival (duration starts at 30 seconds, and at +15 it's 120 seconds). The Dark Wand has no weapon capabilities besides it's special attack that revives a mob (only 1 mob can be revived at a time) and if you do the standard attack it's just the standard catalyst physical attack. It's indestructible (999 of durability) and it's made of bones. Each use of the ability takes 20% of your total health. A sacrifice is needed to bring the dead back to life.

As I said Intelligence will be the stat that increases the power of the revived mob. At 99 the mob will have a strength of 120%, meaning it's actually stronger than the normal version. It starts with 10, having Intelligence lower than 10 will make the character scratch his head when using the ability of the Dark Wand. With the base stat of 10 the mob's strength is of 20% of the original. At 40 the mob is 100% of the original, after that diminishing returns start.

Having a mob revived counts as a personal buff, and as such you can't cast any other personal buffs while the mob is alive. Rings that increase buffs' duration increase the duration of the mob. Additionally you can't cast any spells while the buff from Dark Wand is active. Necromancers focus their mind's power through the Dark Wand in order to revive a mob. This action leaves their mind fragile and as such can't cast any spells while they are maintaining focus.

The Dark Wand is a covenant reward for joining the Path of the Dead Covenant. The details of who is the leader and how to reach it are not important. Leveling up in the covenant grants other equipment:

• When joining you get the Dark Wand
    • At +1 you get the Bone Shield. Details below
    • At +2 you get the Necromancer's Set. Details below.
    • At +3 your revived mob gets a 10% damage boost.
    • You can't use the Bone Shield's ability or the Dark Wand's ability when outside of the covenant.
    Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) 381060076_533Bone Shield:

The Bone Shield is an unique shield. Defenses are as follows: 100/65/60/65. The values are physical reduction, magic reduction, fire reduction, and lighting reduction respectively. Stability starts at 58. It can be upgraded to +5. At +5 the shield has a stability of 68. Medium shield, medium deflection.
    It's a standard shield... except for... it's ability! Just like Havel's Greatshield's special ability which is casted by using it's strong attack while on the left hand, this shield's ability is casted the same way.

The Bone Shield's ability causes an unique personal buff that doesn't interfere with Dark Hand's effect, that generates 3 spheres of spiky bones to float around you. These spheres trigger when hit by a weapon. Projectiles and any kind of magic won't trigger the spheres, though a weapon that does magic damage only will trigger it. When triggered, 1 of the spheres is consumed and deals 20% of the damage received by the Necromancer to the opponent. Spheres can only be triggered every 5 seconds.
    Each cast of the ability generates the 3 spheres, if casted before all 3 spheres are consumed, the duration and amount of spheres is refreshed. The buff lasts 30 seconds. Each cast of the ability drains the shield's durability by 80 points. The Bone Shield has a durability of 300, meaning it can only be casted 3 times. Upgrading the shield has no effect at all in this ability. This buff's duration cannot be prolonged by any means.

Finally, the Necromancer's set. When it comes to stat, I don't have many ideas, it would just be like the Sorcerer's Set or Black Sorcerer's Set when it comes to stats while fully upgraded, but with a little poise (20) caused by the heavy bones that compose the armor. Because of this the armor is a little more heavy than most light armors, it would be mixture of medium and light armor. The set has no special abilities. Overall the set has the look of an skeleton, but not ala DarkWraith set, but like this:
    Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) Render01

That's a close call of how the armor should look. The chest would be the heavy part with the bones just like the image. The boots and gloves are standard leather gloves with some bones attached to them. Finally the helmet it's heavy too, and would be like a skull opened below, kind of like this:
    Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) Trang-Oul%27s_Guise_%28Diablo_II%29
    But with a greyish white pigmentation.

To close up: yeah, I went wild with this. Sorry if I made you lose your time. I guess I'm gonna copy all these ideas and save them in my folder of my ideas to use when I make my own game (not far from it! in March I will start studying game development!!!!!)
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) Empty Re: Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea)

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 am

its a lovely idea, but as we all know even the weakest mob can destroy you and this WILL be exploited and become as OP as the DWGR. then again who knows how DS2 will turn out so that could fix things. the shield is quite OP on the elemental resistances, id go for this 95/60/40/35 because bones are brittle its foolish to think it could be 100 physical, the magic because its obviously a tad enchanted and the others because of realism.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea) Empty Re: Necromancy and Path of the Dead Covenant (ultra depth idea)

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 am

raecor14 wrote:its a lovely idea, but as we all know even the weakest mob can destroy you and this WILL be exploited and become as OP as the DWGR. then again who knows how DS2 will turn out so that could fix things. the shield is quite OP on the elemental resistances, id go for this 95/60/40/35 because bones are brittle its foolish to think it could be 100 physical, the magic because its obviously a tad enchanted and the others because of realism.

Glad someone read it at least haha, yeah, of course there should be some balance fixes. But I liked the idea of reviving dead at the cost of some health and blah blah, still, it just came up to my mind and I couldn't stop writing lol. As I said someday I may make this idea real.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    raecor14 wrote:its a lovely idea, but as we all know even the weakest mob can destroy you and this WILL be exploited and become as OP as the DWGR. then again who knows how DS2 will turn out so that could fix things. the shield is quite OP on the elemental resistances, id go for this 95/60/40/35 because bones are brittle its foolish to think it could be 100 physical, the magic because its obviously a tad enchanted and the others because of realism.

Glad someone read it at least haha, yeah, of course there should be some balance fixes. But I liked the idea of reviving dead at the cost of some health and blah blah, still, it just came up to my mind and I couldn't stop writing lol. As I said someday I may make this idea real.

if the cost was REALLY high (like 1-2 hits kills you with any decent weapon) OR you could REALLY lower your AR too like 150.
    FungalPsychosis
    FungalPsychosis
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FungalPsychosis Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:21 am

I actually really like this idea. It would add more variety to PvP and PvE imo. As we all know, the weakest, most trash-like mobs can become the greatest of trolls, but I believe the loss of 20% of your vitality would balance that out. As for the shield, I agree that it shouldn't be 100 physical, mostly because of it's ability.

If a covenant like this were to be implemented in Dark Souls II, I think the devs could do a lot with their motives and story. Maybe this could be an actual working gravelord covenant as well? Just throwing that out there.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 am

FungalPsychosis wrote:I actually really like this idea. It would add more variety to PvP and PvE imo. As we all know, the weakest, most trash-like mobs can become the greatest of trolls, but I believe the loss of 20% of your vitality would balance that out. As for the shield, I agree that it shouldn't be 100 physical, mostly because of it's ability.

If a covenant like this were to be implemented in Dark Souls II, I think the devs could do a lot with their motives and story. Maybe this could be an actual working gravelord covenant as well? Just throwing that out there.

To be honest I never understood why most Action-RPG devs don't go wild with magic and add a lot of variety instead of going with the standard. From did a good job with magic in Demon's Souls, though nothing too impressive, and Dark Souls was mostly a copy of those spells.
    FungalPsychosis
    FungalPsychosis
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FungalPsychosis Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    FungalPsychosis wrote:I actually really like this idea. It would add more variety to PvP and PvE imo. As we all know, the weakest, most trash-like mobs can become the greatest of trolls, but I believe the loss of 20% of your vitality would balance that out. As for the shield, I agree that it shouldn't be 100 physical, mostly because of it's ability.

To be honest I never understood why most Action-RPG devs don't go wild with magic and add a lot of variety instead of going with the standard. From did a good job with magic in Demon's Souls, though nothing too impressive, and Dark Souls was mostly a copy of those spells.

Completely agree with you there. There can be so much variety with magic but many devs don't want let their imagination go wild. Then again, there comes balancing with those spells. We all know how a large portion of the community hates dark magic, and to be honest, the damage of those spells is ridiculous. I can evade them pretty easily but If I get hit once, a good chunk of my health is gone. A lot of thought has to be put into magic so that it isn't "OP" I suppose.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 am

FungalPsychosis wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

Completely agree with you there. There can be so much variety with magic but many devs don't want let their imagination go wild. Then again, there comes balancing with those spells. We all know how a large portion of the community hates dark magic, and to be honest, the damage of those spells is ridiculous. I can evade them pretty easily but If I get hit once, a good chunk of my health is gone. A lot of thought has to be put into magic so that it isn't "OP" I suppose.

Yeah but that's only from the offensive magic point of view... there is much more than direct damage spells when it comes to magic...

Just think of Skyrim, whether you like or not, they have some great variety of magic schools (illusion, alteration, conjuration, destruction, restoration).
    FungalPsychosis
    FungalPsychosis
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FungalPsychosis Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:13 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    FungalPsychosis wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

Yeah but that's only from the offensive magic point of view... there is much more than direct damage spells when it comes to magic...

Just think of Skyrim, whether you like or not, they have some great variety of magic schools (illusion, alteration, conjuration, destruction, restoration).

That is true. It sorta makes me want to play Skyrim again, but I know I'll get bored though. Now that you mentioned it, I'd be interested in seeing illusions as a form of magic. Maybe it could be a form of faith where you could make fake duplicates of yourself. Kind of similar to Pinwheel except they're just distractions and don't do actual damage. Anyways, I'm getting off topic here. I definitely like the idea of Necromancy in a Souls game. It fits the atmosphere perfectly imo.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:04 pm

ChizFreak wrote:

Let's go back even further and look at what Diablo II did, especially w/ the add on content. You have 7 completely different classes, each of those classes has unique magic, and each class can be either pure melee, pure magic, or a combo of the two. I really like this sort of system and kind of wish Dark Souls would have gone more in this direction like Diablo did w/ Diablo II.

When it comes down to it I play fantasy games because of the magic element.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17 pm

aceluby wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

Let's go back even further and look at what Diablo II did, especially w/ the add on content. You have 7 completely different classes, each of those classes has unique magic, and each class can be either pure melee, pure magic, or a combo of the two. I really like this sort of system and kind of wish Dark Souls would have gone more in this direction like Diablo did w/ Diablo II.

I have to disagree there... it's awesome yes, but I always thought completely free when it comes to developing your character is better, if you played Diablo 1 you will know what I mean. In Diablo 1 you had 3 classes, but it wasn't like Diablo 2 with skill trees, every class could use any weapon or spell as long as they had the required stats, just like Dark Souls, class were more like starting equipment and stat, nothing more, and I liked that. Diablo 1's system felt way more better, but when it comes to PvP and balance, then Diablo 2's system was better.
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:00 pm

I really like the idea, but I could see them having a bit of a disadvantage with bossing. There are very rarely any mobs in boss rooms, which would make the necromancy largely useless, so the class would have to use actual weapons and basically ignore all necromancy (except for the shield's buff) in order to fight a boss. Overall though, it's an awesome idea and would be cool to try in PvP
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

It's well thought out, but just doesn't sound that interesting to me.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:51 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    aceluby wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

I have to disagree there... it's awesome yes, but I always thought completely free when it comes to developing your character is better, if you played Diablo 1 you will know what I mean. In Diablo 1 you had 3 classes, but it wasn't like Diablo 2 with skill trees, every class could use any weapon or spell as long as they had the required stats, just like Dark Souls, class were more like starting equipment and stat, nothing more, and I liked that. Diablo 1's system felt way more better, but when it comes to PvP and balance, then Diablo 2's system was better.

Yeah, I much prefer the skill trees and having the starting class actually mean something. I'm not a huge fan of every high level character being basically the same.

I did play Diablo I and thought the jump to Diablo II was absolutely genius, especially when you add in the co-op characters from Diablo I w/ the expansion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm