Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
JY4answer
Wade_Wilson
Robotech
strangejoy
Carphil
Serious_Much
Eliteknight
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
Maneater_Mildred
Yarxov
bloodpixel
16 posters

Why did they make the Sanctus so useless?

bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Why did they make the Sanctus so useless? Empty Why did they make the Sanctus so useless?

Post by bloodpixel Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 am

Seriously? 2 hp for 2 seconds? Not only that the stability is crap. What were they thinking when they made this shield?
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Why did they make the Sanctus so useless? Empty Re: Why did they make the Sanctus so useless?

Post by Yarxov Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 am

I only use it because its yellow and goes with my armor.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Why did they make the Sanctus so useless? Empty Re: Why did they make the Sanctus so useless?

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 am

They were thinking the didnt want fights lasting all year. Some of us have lives and cant play for that long in 1 go.

In demon souls i had afew fights last more than a year because of all the regeneration gear you could get. True story!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 am

my guess was avoiding the blessed gaxe, arbiters shield, hp regen ring, regeneration miracle combo that nets 18hp/sec w/o miracle and 33hp/sec with in demons. (yes that was my setup)
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 am

Forum Pirate wrote:my guess was avoiding the blessed gaxe, arbiters shield, hp regen ring, regeneration miracle combo that nets 18hp/sec w/o miracle and 33hp/sec with in demons. (yes that was my setup)

Maybe you were 1 of my year long fights.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 am

lol that was the plan. pressuring a gaxe was a very bad idea unless they're out of stamina so it was easy to regen the health of a kat hit or 2 while i setup my next attack strategy. (trade and instamurder usually)
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:45 am

It is handy for chucking on your back to slow hp loss when using Power within (if using an un-upgraded glove)
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 am

Toastfacekillah wrote:It is handy for chucking on your back to slow hp loss when using Power within (if using an un-upgraded glove)
    replenish
    Toastfacekillah
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 am

Not *everyone* uses miracles......
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:01 am

fair enough, its still down from 15 a sec to 14 a sec. i wouldn't bother. not really any good way for a sensible sl120 to mitigate the power withins hp drain. its why i dont use it.
    Eliteknight
    Eliteknight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eliteknight Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 am

Maneater_Mildred wrote:They were thinking the didnt want fights lasting all year. Some of us have lives and cant play for that long in 1 go.

In demon souls i had afew fights last more than a year because of all the regeneration gear you could get. True story!

Everyone dieing in 3 hits is sooooo much better. Some of us like longer pvp fights cause fighting another player is more fun than the scripted bosses.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 am

Eliteknight wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:They were thinking the didnt want fights lasting all year. Some of us have lives and cant play for that long in 1 go.

Everyone dieing in 3 hits is sooooo much better. Some of us like longer pvp fights cause fighting another player is more fun than the scripted bosses.
    Didnt say i dont like longer fights, some if those "3hit fights" still take 5-10 mins and are lots of fun, same fight with demon souls regen, would take 40 mins and thats not fun.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 am

why i used the blessed gaxe. every fight was a 3 hit fight.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 am

It was obviously to avoid what happened in Demon's with regen rings and weapons.. I mean I whack this blessed mace i got on my back evey time i pull out my bow with my regen ring and i get like 6HP per second, even to me that seems too good, let alone of forumpirate described before me..
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 am

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Toastfacekillah wrote:It is handy for chucking on your back to slow hp loss when using Power within (if using an un-upgraded glove)
    replenish

You can't use both at once, they are both Self buffs
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:08 pm

I understand that we don't want crazy regen stacking. On the other hand, would it have been so awful to give Sanctus 3hp per second or at least some reasonable stability. There is no regen ring in this game, and replenish is kind of crap, so regen stacking would be far from viable even at 3hp per second.

Fyi, some people were curious about whether upgrading sanctus to divine +10 would somehow activate the shield or increase regen. I've done it, and it doesn't do squat. Divine sanctus +10 is quite possible the worst item in my bottomless box, lol.
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

bloodpixel wrote:Seriously? 2 hp for 2 seconds? Not only that the stability is crap. What were they thinking when they made this shield?

the developers have to keep a balance on the items. meaning if a shield has a special ability then they have to take away some of the other stats to make this shield equal with the other shields that have no special effects. I mean ok... if the sanctus had 100% physical and good stability, i dont think anyone would be using any other shield. same applies for grass shield also.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Its for lore purposes. Sanctus was originally given to Paladin Leeroy "with the protection of a white flame", but since he has been on his quest for so long its power has all but faded.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Handy when farmers are afraid of the black knights at the Kiln. They weren't coming at me at all so I put on double Sactus and regenerated 600-ish hp in a couple of minutes. Then I went back in and BSed the host. Why did they make the Sanctus so useless? 639795459
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

From wanted regen stacking to be reduced on the whole, yes, but specifically I'm sure they just didn't want it to be like the Adjudicator's Shield +5. Everyone had that thing on their back--no reason not to!

@ForumPirate

If you're planning on using Power Within and Sanctus at SL120, you need to keep your Vit as low as possible. Sanctus heals at a fixed rate, whereas PW munches your health in percentage (takes 100 seconds to get 100% of your life if your glove is at base). But keeping your health so low will get you killed in 1 hit, so the only viable use for this is making a hyper mode build with the red tearstone ring. With the Lingering Dragoncrest ring you can buy yourself more time too. (For best effect, make it a Dragon build and use the roar for an extra buff.)
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Dj-B-Man-Jr
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Dj-B-Man-Jr Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Double sanctus is actually pretty decent imo. has anyone else tried that?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm

It is a boring shield. I never use it, because its ability, stats, and looks are horrible... to me, none the less. I prefer to use shields such as the Balder Shield, or in fact the Effigy Shield. 2 hp for 2 seconds might save me in those one handed chances that might show up in a thousand, or preferably a million or so, I would rather depend on another shield for that matter. The only other way to regenerate is by miracles, an I think that it would 'ruin' the miracle ideology of it, giving the specials of the miracles to something that is more usable, and less expensive than such miracles that regenerate HP.

In all do respects, most of the equipment is horrible. The Grant acts similar to that of dragon weapons with a replaced force special that is used for users, even though the Dragon Axe is of better quality, and is just as slow if not a a tad minuscule less. The paladin armor has its qualities, but it seems like a derived armor that is of match to the brass armor. Either way, I can say that the equipment of the paladin is not of good quality when it comes to the terms of later game-play, after NG+ and beyond. Other usages and tactics would be better than the equipment he uses, including the shield.
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 am

Paladin equiipment looks kinda weird. All the fluffy cloth bits kinda put me off. The sheild is rather useless minus special ocassions, and the weapon is not practical.

That being said, the armor peices are actually a nice option if you want pieces that go slightly heavier than your standard medium range armor, like elite knight / catarina / brass. It also has nice magic def, but its lightning def is sad.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 am

Carphil wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:
    replenish

You can't use both at once, they are both Self buffs

Car...why do you have to go an bring intelligence to this discussion, now I can't post here!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm