Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Aznul
IV_Mark_VI
Sentiel
PlasticandRage
defacto
Hue
steveswede
Ashran
Carphil
Shakie666
Tolvo
Animaaal
Seignar
The Letter X
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
NJ4998
20 posters

Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results!

NJ4998

Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results! Empty Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results!

Post by NJ4998 Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello everyone! Thank you to everyone that participated in this survey. Please feel free to interpret the results and post your ideas about their meanings.

Here is the link! https://imgur.com/a/3DNbL
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results! Empty Re: Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results!

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Interesting, indeed. Though I can't help but feel as though there is an under-representation of both Asian and female players. But the results are the results so who am I to argue? Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results! 3358384175

Glad to finally be able to see all this, though. happy
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results! Empty Re: Dark Souls Demographic Survey Results!

Post by The Letter X Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I was surprised with some of the results, like how many people use Greatswords .

Thanks for posting the results.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Intresting that Greatswords and STR builds are top of the list. It appears that while the general decision is that DEX rule in PVP; STR is popular in PvE. I can agree to that. Wearing tank armor and tanking with a giant greatsword is effective in PvE as the A.I is not smart enough to dodge 20 pounds of incoming steel.

Also, only 3% of Dark Souls gamers are girls (that did the survey)? I though the female gaming population was on the rise (or was that a self-made rumor?)!

We can see that at least 12% of the votes were influenced by strictly PvE people.
    We can see that the majority of PVP is not done via the assistance of PVP covenants (weird).
    Backstabbing is a common tactic. Interestingly, ambushing and sorceries are of the same quantity. One can infer that people love using sorceries for ambushes.

As expected Darkroot and Burg are PVP hotspots. Another intresting fact is people prefer PVP in Light AL than Dark AL...I presume that the majority of these votes were cast by the invading population.

Not suprising, more players would prefer to play co-op while on non-co-op covenants (Except WoS) than with them.

Interestingly, people prefer to team fight Capra more than Sif, even tho summon signs are seldom seen in the lower UB. While the Depths are an area usually skipped, the Gaping Dragon scores high on the list, I believe this is due to the simple fight that earns a bunch of souls.

Oddly , 1% of the Co-op population co-op to PVP; 2% seem to have unknown reasons.

At least 25% of the survey was done by people who invested more than 300 hours in the game; 92% of the survery was done by people with over 50 hours of gameplay.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm

What I cant believe is that there are more xbox and pc contributers to this survey than there are ps3 contributers...strange.

***EDIT***

Oh sorry dude. Thanks for your hard work, very interesting.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Very interesting results.

The reason for the lack of PS3 players is actually answered in the largest nationality of players in the Survey, North America. While in the east, such as Japan, they would mostly be PS3 players. Since this survey was for more English speaking people, PC and Xbox would dominate.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Tolvo wrote:Very interesting results.

The reason for the lack of PS3 players is actually answered in the largest nationality of players in the Survey, North America. While in the east, such as Japan, they would mostly be PS3 players. Since this survey was for more English speaking people, PC and Xbox would dominate.

I can understand that. But Dark Souls has been out for awhile now. And the vast majority of NA players that preordered Dark Souls were ps3 users...for obvious reasons.

I believe its because most people that started playing Demon's Souls and played Dark Souls have simply moved on and didn't even see the survey. While people who never played DeS and started with Dark Souls are still having a "fresh" experience.

I also think the dominate age brackets are a better indicator of why there were more xbox users than ps3 users. Its my understanding that the...ugh..."older gamers" are usually ps3 owners. The higher amount of pc users would probably be indicated by the recent release of the pc version.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Wish there was more love for UG weapons sad

Also noticed someting interesting: if 96% of players are male and 3% female, that means there must be 1% transgender right? silly
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm

^ LOL

Nice results, never knew there were so many PC players!

Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

So many dirty backstabers.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm

It's important to note that surveys do not show the demographic as a whole, only those that contributed to the survey. I didn't contribute as I'm sure many others didn't.

There is some questionable results found in it, like the PvP information. A large portion of people put other, though this could be of a result of people thinking the red soap stone is not associated with the Darkwraith covenant, which is understandable considering the Forest and Darkmoon have the same colour for phantoms. As for platform people use, well it would be obvious that the PS3 came last. America is the 3rd most populated country in the world, it's home to Microsoft and it was only done in English. I'm sure a lot of people who invade on the PS3 come across more Japanese players that any other country, and I mean a lot more. If the language barrier was removed the results would show a very different picture.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 am

Animaaal wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:Very interesting results.

I can understand that. But Dark Souls has been out for awhile now. And the vast majority of NA players that preordered Dark Souls were ps3 users...for obvious reasons.

I believe its because most people that started playing Demon's Souls and played Dark Souls have simply moved on and didn't even see the survey. While people who never played DeS and started with Dark Souls are still having a "fresh" experience.

I also think the dominate age brackets are a better indicator of why there were more xbox users than ps3 users. Its my understanding that the...ugh..."older gamers" are usually ps3 owners. The higher amount of pc users would probably be indicated by the recent release of the pc version.

@Tolvo, actually dude, I answered a question I didn't really ask. You on the other hand answered the question I asked. Perfectly actually.

I guess what my question/statement shoulda been was : Why didn't the HUGE ps3 player base come out to vote?

My bad dude, and thanks. That makes sense.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 am

There are 6 people in Africa who know these forums and completed the survey....
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:04 am

This got over 1200 replies which means its accurate to plus minus 3% or so. It took a survey of people who happened to visit certain forums and participated. Much like how real surveys are done. Whoever happens to pick up the phone gets questioned.

Being a big HBD nerd I would have loved to see race as a question. But I would guess it would be mostly white and Asian with other races about 5% or less.

3% for women sounds about right. Women game about as much as guys now but it's all Draw Something, FarmVille and Words with Friends.

I was also fascinated by STR weapons as they are my favorite to use as well. Just that feeling of wielding a giant weapon and smashing things is awesome. But I don't use them in PvP.

Good job though. I liked it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Go whips!
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:08 pm

I was suprised by the number of PC players. Great work with the survey mate. Here's a +. happy
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:45 pm

It's also not weighted; for example, what weapon/tactics you usually use in PvP: someone that has played 10 hrs of pvp and someone that has played 300 hrs of PvP has the same weight, but the 300hrs you'll see more of their weapons/tactics.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Well that is certainly interesting. Thanks for putting all this together.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Even compensating for over reporting, the fact that the largest group by far for hours played was the 301 or more hours tier is a pretty clear affirmation of what this game is to people.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm

1800+ hours here. Praise the Sun
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

i have no idea how many hours i've played this game for, whatever it is i'm sure my wife would be shocked but not surprised.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 am

I feel like most who focus on co-op tend to go strength or magic. Whereas pvpers prefer faster weapons, often dex, and can also incorporate sorceries/miracles/pyromanices.
    Cris the lighthearted
    Cris the lighthearted
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Cris the lighthearted Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 am

When it came to Boss Summons i didn't see any of the DLC bosses on the list. Hm. Because i'm all about being summoned for Artorias and Manus. Also the covenant ratio. There's gotta be more Darkmoon than that. sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm