Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
FattyOfDoom
LunarFog
Soris Ice Goldwing
Tolvo
Token
9 posters

Is this normal?

Token

Is this normal? Empty Is this normal?

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Hey all, new guy to the game here. Just wanted to ask a question or two and vent a bit.

So me and my friend got the game, enjoying it thus far. After finally beating the taurus demon by ourselves we got the soap sign and spent about 30 minutes trying to summon each other. It takes and we get gored by a boar, no biggie.

Wait another 10 minutes for our summon signs to appear, get gored again, this goes on for about 40 minutes until we decided to go back and get supplies to rain firebombs on it from above. But enough backstory.

We get to some church looking thing and get invaded, it's some guy half-naked with flaming fists. He starts wailing on my friend so I get a easy backstab in, does 50~ damage and barely moves his health. I get plenty more in, since the guy is just smashing attack with total abandon like he knows we can't hurt him. Eventually he lands hits that two shot us both and we die.

We rage quit for a while and later after spending another half-hour to get summons working another guy invades us. He's in the church waiting to so start to get close to him and he lifts up his sword that does some huge sweeping magic that one-shots us both.

Now we're both done with the game for now since we can't play together without this crap happening.

So my question is: Is this the norm? Are we doomed to face people not only far more experienced than us but somehow also far better armed (even though there's a 10 level difference limit?)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Is this normal? Empty Re: Is this normal?

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:25 pm

That is a griefer, he probably had 99 humanity.

Now, were you on the Xbox version? Because something like that is possible, but some of the details seem a bit much.

What upgrade level were your weapons at, was he actually naked or nearly naked? Did you see any sort of glow effects about his body?

What color was the sword that he uses, I'm assuming black and it created flames.
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:29 pm

This was on the PC.

He was covered in dark red so it was hard to see if he was actually naked or not. I'm going to say he had something on as he didn't look bare naked, but pretty close to it.

The sword was covered in red as well, and the stuff he shot from it was like blue or green.

We don't know how or where to upgrade our equipment.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to Dark Souls the game that truly test your mind and gaming skills! Anyway as Tolvo said the first guy was a griefer. They love to torment new players so you got to aware of them. As for the second guy did the weapon shoot a greenish-cyan line? If so that may have been the moonlight greatsword. However what was your sl when this happened?
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Token wrote:This was on the PC.

He was covered in dark red so it was hard to see if he was actually naked or not. I'm going to say he had something on as he didn't look bare naked, but pretty close to it.

The sword was covered in red as well, and the stuff he shot from it was like blue or green.

We don't know how or where to upgrade our equipment.

You need to head to the parish church then facing the statue move right through the stone path to another building and go down the steps. You will find a bonfire and a blacksmith who sells you the items needed to upgrade weapons and armor. You need item called titanci(?) shards and souls to upgrade your equipment.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Indeed, if it was green that was the Moonlight Greatsword, meaning that was a glass cannon and if you got up in his face you may have actually been able to kill him.

The first guy probably had on a ring that increases physical defense, possibly two of them. Then with 99 humanity, and maybe a fully upgraded light armor piece or two, yes that damage fits. Especially if your weapons are unupgraded.

This sort of thing happens, it is very common in the Burg and Parish sadly, since it is an online game and people do like to see others suffer. One way to counter this is to get a third summon, one that looks like they have fully upgraded gear too. That way if you do run into a griefer, they can kill the griefer. Until you guys reach some of the later levels, this is fairly common.

Now, I do of course think you guys should get invaded, but by someone with your level of gear. So if you fight someone doing similar damage to you and they barely kill you, just learn from that experience. But when someone is reasonably invincible to you, don't feel bad about getting frustrated.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Man...I wish someone I grief would come to complain about it on the forums...
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Moonlight Greatsword i think. He was a griefer so just ignore them. What you need to do is just upgrade your weapon and if you get invaded by him again then either sign out or run to the boss fog wall
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Word of wisedom stay out of Darkwood forest past a sealed door if your human. In there it's a living hell for low levels since the covenant invaders there can invade at any level in packs. There's little honor to fight there.
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:Welcome to Dark Souls the game that truly test your mind and gaming skills! Anyway as Tolvo said the first guy was a griefer. They love to torment new players so you got to aware of them. As for the second guy did the weapon shoot a greenish-cyan line? If so that may have been the moonlight greatsword. However what was your sl when this happened?

We're around SL 17.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 pm

So then he could have been almost Sl 30, which would allow him to have enough stats to wield such a weapon. It dealing pure magic damage, would easily kill you in regards to the dragon sword.

The first guy could have easily stacked vitality and then just had elemental weapons.

So, it sounds like it was all legit.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

The first few areas of the game are susceptible to this. I know its stupid to hear but you might have a hard time co-oping until 3 or 4 bosses in. It's not impossible, but you will need to have an unorthodox amount of patience for these kinds of antics.

Some tips that might help you to get your games connected faster:
    1. Make sure the person summoning is human (the circle near your health bar is white) and within 10 + 10% of the level of the person being summoned.
    2. The person being summoned should be hollow to prevent invasions.
    3. The Summoner should hold the white soap stone in his hotkey, and if it greys out before he touches and summons a phantom, it means you are being invaded, prepare yourself by summoning any sign you see around you for back up.
    4. You have a ~1 minute period of invincibility from invasions after you are invaded and kill or die to the invader.
    5. If you are having a hard time finding eachothers signs have the person being summoned cancel their sign then redrop/cancel the sign 3 more times, this will help you reach the same lobby.
    6. DO NOT spam your sign though, wait a few minutes between each summon.
      Alternatively, the host can quit the game and wait on the start screen until it's done its animation and reload their game, this will sometimes switch your server and may help to prevent invasions.
    7. Have the person being summoned place their sign in a low traffic area, that way there is no risk of someone else summoning them, if they are summoned they can Black Crystal out from the items menu if time is urgent.

... That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Tolvo wrote:So then he could have been almost Sl 30, which would allow him to have enough stats to wield such a weapon. It dealing pure magic damage, would easily kill you in regards to the dragon sword.

The first guy could have easily stacked vitality and then just had elemental weapons.

Legit or not, is there anything we can realistically do against such players, besides not co-oping or running for the boss door (Which I'm sure we'd die on the way to)

And thanks for the tips on summoning I'll make sure to inform my friend as well.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Technically, yes.

Realistically, no. I'm not saying you suck at the game, but you are new to it and going against incredible odds that can be very difficult to face as a veteran. As Yukon mentioned, I'd suggest getting a few more bosses in before trying to summon each other. This is a very common thing, since as I mentioned it has online. And people can be jerks. You'll just have to roll with the punches and keep trying if you really want to Co-Op at this level.

One thing though, if you do find yourself or your friend getting so angry you are just dying to normal enemies, both of you should take a break and try later. Playing the game while angry is very difficult and will cost you to lose souls, humanity, and possibly progress.
    ExecutionerTri
    ExecutionerTri
    Regular
    Regular

Post by ExecutionerTri Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Token wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:So then he could have been almost Sl 30, which would allow him to have enough stats to wield such a weapon. It dealing pure magic damage, would easily kill you in regards to the dragon sword.

Legit or not, is there anything we can realistically do against such players, besides not co-oping or running for the boss door (Which I'm sure we'd die on the way to)

And thanks for the tips on summoning I'll make sure to inform my friend as well.

link up with a 3rd phantom from the pc realm and have them be strong and let them stay back to be on the lookout for invaders like this
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Answer: Yes, when you first start playing all of those things are normal.

1) Summonings

Trying to summon a specific person as opposed to a random can be difficult at times. There are a few tricks though

A) Do not place your soul sign in a high traffic area.
    -For instance when I play with a bud in the parish, we usually put our soul signs down by the body where the firekeepers soul is. Try to put it in a location that is accessible, but out of the way enough to avoid other people from touching your, or your buddies soul sign. Other people trying to pick up your friends soul sign can contribute to fails.
    B) Only spam your sign to try and get it to show up in your friends world. After that, place it and let it sit. From my experience, spamming your sign can also lead to fails. The summoning fail rate (from my experience) goes down drastically when the soul sign is left to sit between 30 and 60 seconds.
    C) If you are not talking on the phone or through skype, then use a chat room. Also use abbreviations. Like ssd (soul sign down), rss (relayed soul sign)...obviously you'll develop a shorthand code that will allow you to communicate in an efficient manner without having to spend time sending long drawn out messages.
    ***After awhile you'll see your summoning time go from 20-30 minutes to 3-4 minutes (most of the time). I practice these techniques everytime when playing with a friend. However, there are still days where it just takes awhile to summon a specific person. But I haven't had to wait more than 5-10 minutes to summon someone specific in a loooooong time.

2) Op'd invaders.

Ya. Not a whole lot you can do about it. When you are playing with someone who is also new to the game, and you both have level appropriate gear on...there's not much you can do. However, you can summon a phantom that looks strange. What do I mean by that? Well, if you know there's a d-bag invading your area that is op'd and unbeatable...summon a different phantom while you wait for your bud. If you see a phantom that has some gear on you are not familiar with, they might be an anti-griefer build.

Some vets create low level phantom builds for this very reason. They will have ZERO problems waiting for you to summon your buddy and will take great joy in fighting off invaders while you wait. Don't take advantage of them. Don't expect them to wait a half hour or something. Keep them healed, drop them a humanity or something, and they will defend you with their life.

3) Most importantly...DONT GIVE UP MAN!

Before too long when your cherry is popped and you become numb to the griefer experience, you'll find yourself with an anti-griefer build of your own, only playing with it at sl 20 to see how many invaders you can kill and to see how high you can get your multiplayer bictories up to.

GOOD LUCK....and welcome to Dark Souls.
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Tolvo wrote:Technically, yes.

Realistically, no. I'm not saying you suck at the game, but you are new to it and going against incredible odds that can be very difficult to face as a veteran. As Yukon mentioned, I'd suggest getting a few more bosses in before trying to summon each other. This is a very common thing, since as I mentioned it has online. And people can be jerks. You'll just have to roll with the punches and keep trying if you really want to Co-Op at this level.

One thing though, if you do find yourself or your friend getting so angry you are just dying to normal enemies, both of you should take a break and try later. Playing the game while angry is very difficult and will cost you to lose souls, humanity, and possibly progress.

Well, I appreciate the honesty. I had a thought of "Whatever I'll just get better by fighting them" just now, tabbed in (I've been sitting to test that summoning advice), went human, took 15 steps, got invaded. Found the guy and went to fight him and as I got close he was charging up a fireball, with my friend being a pyro I had a faint idea of the charge-up time so I dodged it and...got one shot even though it visually missed, assuming lag had a play in it. I alt-f4 and am calling it good for now.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Indeed, on his screen he probably hit you. But due to the lag, on your screen he didn't of course. Eventually you sort of get an idea of how to predict the lag, and where there attacks will really be and when they'll hit. But that will probably be much further into the game when you have more experience.

Take a break, drink something cool, then when you are relaxed sit back down and take another swing at the game. I wish I had a gaming PC so I could help you, but since I don't the most I can do is this.

Good luck. Praise the Sun
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 pm

If you find yourself running low on humanity to summon your friend killing the goons in the level will sometimes award a free humanity if the boss in the area is still alive, I believe up to 10 'soft' humanities (the number beside your health bar) can be acquired per area.

You can also farm the rats bellow the drake's bridge, they will sometimes drop the consumable item humanity.

You have the right mindset however, you WILL get better at PVP in this game, but the parish is not really the place to start for a new player.

EDIT: And about killing strong invaders, they are still weak to lethal falls, if you can kick or backstab them off a ledge you'll find yourself victorious!

Last edited by Yukon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Yukon wrote:If you find yourself running low on humanity to summon your friend killing the goons in the level will sometimes award a free humanity if the boss in the area is still alive, I believe up to 10 'soft' humanities (the number beside your health bar) can be acquired per area.

You can also farm the rats bellow the drake's bridge, they will sometimes drop the consumable item humanity.

You have the right mindset however, you WILL get better at PVP in this game, but the parish is not really the place to start for a new player.

Under the bridge? How do I get there? My bonfire is at the end of the bridge and I don't recall a way to get below it, when I went across it there was this dragon thing and fire, oh god the fire, so I just kept running and made it to the bonfire room.

Tolvo wrote:Indeed, on his screen he probably hit you. But due to the lag, on your screen he didn't of course. Eventually you sort of get an idea of how to predict the lag, and where there attacks will really be and when they'll hit. But that will probably be much further into the game when you have more experience.

Take a break, drink something cool, then when you are relaxed sit back down and take another swing at the game. I wish I had a gaming PC so I could help you, but since I don't the most I can do is this.

Good luck. Praise the Sun

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it! Thanks.

Also, why is there messages saying praise the sun everywhere? And this altar rock thing gave me a praise the sun emote that looks like that symbol you posted.

Last edited by Token on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

There is a stairwell on the ... right? in the middle of the bridge. If you go down it you will be just under the bridge and you can kick a ladder that will lead you back to the tarus demon's bonfire, OR you can head out the gate you probably opened with the lever and turn to the right into the spire stair case, there is a ladder and if you do down 3 rats, they will likely ambush you though, so its hard to kill them there. Also they can cause poison so jog back to the bonfire to reset your status if that happens.

also, if you notice an NPC near by do not attack hap-hazardously, if you aggro the NPC's trying to cut the invader they will remain aggro even after you win/die, just walk away from the situation.

Last edited by Yukon on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Yukon wrote:There is a stairwell on the ... right? If you go down it you will be just under the bridge and you can kick a ladder that will lead you back to the tarus demon's bonfire, OR you can head out the gate you probably opened with the lever and turn to the right into the spire stair case, there is a ladder and if you do down 3 rats, they will likely ambush you though, so its hard to kill them there. Also they can cause poison so jog back to the bonfire to reset your status if that happens.

Huh, how did I miss that ladder...or the staircase.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Remember the man who gave you the Soap Stone? His name is Solaire of Astora, he is an NPC summon. You can summon him for certain bosses, and you'll see him around the world as you go on your adventure. A lot of players really like him, and he is a sign of Co-Op and playing with friends. Praise the Sun is his gesture essentially, so it tends to mean either "This area was difficult, praise the sun I made it," "Solaire is here," or, "A lot of players do Co-Op here."
    Token

Post by Token Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Tolvo wrote:Remember the man who gave you the Soap Stone? His name is Solaire of Astora, he is an NPC summon. You can summon him for certain bosses, and you'll see him around the world as you go on your adventure. A lot of players really like him, and he is a sign of Co-Op and playing with friends. Praise the Sun is his gesture essentially, so it tends to mean either "This area was difficult, praise the sun I made it," "Solaire is here," or, "A lot of players do Co-Op here."

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

I had another thought, maybe if I use my red cracked orb, I could face people like me and actually get some pvp experience. So I did that, was invading someone's game and a guy had two phantoms all wearing some ugly looking mask and they all started spamming hits on my as soon as I got in then did some emote that stretched their arms out like they wanted a hug or something over my dead body.

Sigh.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Invaders and Hosts in early levels are often not very nice, it's a sad state. It's possible to find people like you while invading, but unfortunately you'll only get like four tries. I really wish Cracked Orbs were easier to obtain.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm