Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Garl_Vinland
KingSeekerCow
steveswede
densetsushun
CappuccinoJak
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
PlasticandRage
BIG TIME MASTER
BLA1NE
RANT
Wade_Wilson
Elite Knight
Mr. Tart
17 posters

Dead Space 3

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Dead Space 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Dead Space 3

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm

I just got home with my copy. Going to have some coffee and then get to it.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:56 pm

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as i do. big grin
    KingSeekerCow
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by KingSeekerCow Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:Anyone getting the game for xbox? :silent:

I have it, if you want to do some Jolly Co-Operation for Dead Space 3! But we wouldn't get any SunBro Medals. :L.

But I am enjoying the game. It still has the horror elements to it but they are not like in 1/2(2 is the unpolished version of three with all the "Action.") But overall I am enjoying the back-story finally on the game haha.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm

xFingeR PaiNtx, feel free to add me. Right now i play public campaign so that anyone can join me. If i could get a ''permanent'' co-op partner though, that would be sweet. silly

Edit: Fear not my jolly ol' brother of the sun, for thou' mission is not to gather sunlight medals, but to be the sunlight, and for the sunlight to shine upon the less fortunate of souls. Now then, brother, take my hand, and let us enter a world full of life, death and lots of gore, and may the sun be praised, for it is what will keep our hopes up.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:I noticed that a while ago actually. I was mainly replying to the fact that he's claiming something without the actual proof. Adding the link was good though, so imma give you a 1+ for that.

So even though I was right and you knew I was right, you still felt the need to disagree...?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Very first impression: I haven't even started the game proper yet, and it's alerting me that there's an autosave feature. This makes me unhappy. Such a bad idea for survival horror. When it saves you're game every few minutes it kills a large part of the fear element, because being killed no longer has serious consequences.

Evidently later in the game you gain the ability to make your own weapons? That could either be spectacular or terrible.

Oh wow. They brought back the old DS1 live menus. You have the objective locator back too. I always liked that thing.

If there rest of the game is anything like the first 10 minutes, then we're in good shape.

The ammo system isn't a complete loss either. Yes, there's a universal ammo unit now, but different guns seem to handle it differently. For example I have 34 ammo units right now, which translates to 90 something shots for my plasma cutter, and 120 something for my SMG. I'm assuming larger more powerful weapons take a lot more ammo units to fire, so realistically you probably have to watch your ammo even more with the new system, because burning up ammo with a big weapon would mean that you'd have less shots for your smaller guns too.

Really sweet visual effects. When you're in the dark, the lights in your helmet's visor project the visor shapes where you're looking.

You can crouch and roll now too. I have to say, all in all, so far I'm liking what I see. If you liked DS2, then I don't think you'll regret the purchase. It's a lot more of the same so far. Not quite as visceral, at least not yet, because Isaac isn't psychotic anymore, but it hasn't lost it's DS ability to instill fear at all.

Just realized they did away with competitive multiplayer. That's a little sad. I liked that aspect of DS2. Played the crap out of it for awhile.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:21 am

I haven't played DS3 yet, Plastic but from the footage I've seen, I agree. The visuals really do look amazing for all the mistakes EA might have made with the game they certainly hit it out of the park with that aspect.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:31 am

Anyone who preordered this game, don't read reviews. Sadness ahead Prostration
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 am

Wade_Wilson wrote:
    Mr. Tart wrote:I noticed that a while ago actually. I was mainly replying to the fact that he's claiming something without the actual proof. Adding the link was good though, so imma give you a 1+ for that.

So even though I was right and you knew I was right, you still felt the need to disagree...?

I never disagreed. I told you that if you're claiming something about the game, and that you've got proof, share it.

It's like going around saying that someone's an ******* for no apparent reason, when you actually have proof. When you said that, there were lots of things proving against it. You then reply claiming that you've seen a video without even sharing the evidence. Doesn't exactly say much, does it? I could just claim that i've talked to Santa Claus for real, and that i've been to the North Pole and met Rudolf. Now, would you believe me if i said that without any proof? And at first i did not know, however, shortly after making that post of which i claim that you should share a link to prove it i found out that Universal Ammo is the case.

On the topic of Universal Ammo though, i don't feel like it ruined the game actually, because i still enjoy the game, and it has put me into some stressed out situations already. I've only played co-op as of now, so i can't speak for solo campaign.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

PlasticandRage wrote:Very first impression: I haven't even started the game proper yet, and it's alerting me that there's an autosave feature. This makes me unhappy. Such a bad idea for survival horror. When it saves you're game every few minutes it kills a large part of the fear element, because being killed no longer has serious consequences.

Evidently later in the game you gain the ability to make your own weapons? That could either be spectacular or terrible.

Oh wow. They brought back the old DS1 live menus. You have the objective locator back too. I always liked that thing.

If there rest of the game is anything like the first 10 minutes, then we're in good shape.

The ammo system isn't a complete loss either. Yes, there's a universal ammo unit now, but different guns seem to handle it differently. For example I have 34 ammo units right now, which translates to 90 something shots for my plasma cutter, and 120 something for my SMG. I'm assuming larger more powerful weapons take a lot more ammo units to fire, so realistically you probably have to watch your ammo even more with the new system, because burning up ammo with a big weapon would mean that you'd have less shots for your smaller guns too.

Really sweet visual effects. When you're in the dark, the lights in your helmet's visor project the visor shapes where you're looking.

You can crouch and roll now too. I have to say, all in all, so far I'm liking what I see. If you liked DS2, then I don't think you'll regret the purchase. It's a lot more of the same so far. Not quite as visceral, at least not yet, because Isaac isn't psychotic anymore, but it hasn't lost it's DS ability to instill fear at all.

Just realized they did away with competitive multiplayer. That's a little sad. I liked that aspect of DS2. Played the crap out of it for awhile.

Don't wanna spoil anything, but both Carter and Isaac experience some psycothic moments. According to an article i read before i got the game too, they both experience these psychotic moments, sometimes unaware to the other. Let's make up an example, just an example: Carter sees some toys trying to kill him(i'm making this up), he has to fight it, whilst necromorphs attack both of them. That is, if what i read from the article is true. I know for sure that Isaac experience some psychotic moments though, that i can confirm, though not as many as in DS3 as far as i can tell.

As far as the Autosave feature, i don't like it, but for a Survival Horror, i don't think it's necessarily bad, because it seems it only saves at some checkpoints, which may take a while to reach sometimes and it's a real b*tch i tell you!

densetsushun wrote:Anyone who preordered this game, don't read reviews. Sadness ahead Prostration

If what you're trying to say is, that the game got bad reviews, it's RE6 all over again. A great game, who deserved more than these bad reviews. It seems most people want either CoD games or games with terrible controls nowadays.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I think you don't fix it if it's not broken. The old save system worked just fine. Autosave sucks, especially in Survival Horror. Hell some survival horror games even limit the amount of times you can save, so that you have to think about how you'll use that the same as ammo.

After playing for about 5 hours last night, I think the universal ammo system is just fine. I thought it was going to piss me off, but the way the weapon system works now, there's really no other way they could have done it. Now that you can create your own guns, and each gun can essentially be two guns, if each type had their own ammo, you'd not only need to be carrying/storing like 50 different types of things, but they'd also have had to make it so that there are like 30 ammo pickups in each room, or else you'd never have been able to accommodate all the different choices. With the new system, there was really no other way to do it, and I really like the new system. Making your own weapons is awesome. I'm already carrying a Line Gun with an underbarrel Force Gun combination. So awesome.

In response to all the bad reviews that may or may not be our already, all I have to say is: people are stupid. The game is clearly becoming very mainstream now, and I honestly think that's going to be one of the only reasons people are going to be giving it bad reviews. That's not a very good reason to dislike it in and of itself. The gameplay is almost exactly the same as the second one. The only differences are, there's a different weapon system, different save system, co-op, which you don't have to play, meaning that the solo campaign isn't like some games, like Dead Island, where you just have to tolerate the story as if you were playing co-op, and that it's in a different place, with a new story. Honestly that's about it. The controls are improved, you have more options for movement, which is good because the enemies move faster, and gang up on you more readily, so you need to be able to evade them quickly. It doesn't make it action game. It really isn't. It's the same old DS. Small, suffocatingly tight spaces, with vents on every surface, so you never know where they're going to come from. Your back is never completely safe, and the atmosphere is creepy as hell, and really makes you feel that. There are some new systems, but they work really well.

There are absolutely things about it that I don't like, but no game is perfect, not even Dark Souls. The good outweighs the bad, and not by a little. It's Dead Space. I don't see anything about it so far that makes it anything but. If you want to take things away from yourself, like the ability to enjoy a fun game, because other people say you should, then hey, by all means.

Last edited by PlasticandRage on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:
    If what you're trying to say is, that the game got bad reviews, it's RE6 all over again. A great game, who deserved more than these bad reviews. It seems most people want either CoD games or games with terrible controls nowadays.

Most people want COD? Well, EA certainly tried to make Dead space 3 suit them those people!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 pm

How is Dead Space 3 anything like CoD?

@Tart: Yeah, I spoke a little too soon I think. Isaac does seem to be starting to loose it a little. He's not infected by the 'soul' of the marker anymore, the one taking the appearance of his woman whose name I can't remember, but he does seem to still be very unstable.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I probably won't end up playing it, but I am glad to hear that it is still good. I trust Plastics opinion more than the big shot reviewers.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Never said that most people want CoD in relation to Dead Space 3. I was using it as an example of what most people seem to what in games nowadays. It was kind of just a negative response to the fact that i dislike the bad reviews most games with quality usually get.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Mr. Tart wrote:Never said that most people want CoD in relation to Dead Space 3. I was using it as an example of what most people seem to what in games nowadays. It was kind of just a negative response to the fact that i dislike the bad reviews most games with quality usually get.

This is what I mean with a bad review, one that's actually formed coherently and compares Dead Space 3 with what the core interactive factors of the original Dead Space was.
    Spoiler:

Textwall ahead:
    Spoiler:

That's just my opinion anyway, which no one has to share.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm

F.E.A.R was awesome, one of the few pc games i played and i loved it, too bad it turned to crap.
    RE5&6 didnt sell beacause it's not what the fanss of the series wanted(re4was cool but i didnt like it much) it just doesnt feel like a true RE gam but they should say that they're going on a different direction and not make trailers that seemed kinda like the old RE and make a damn action game, instead they should go all action game and not a crappy mix of survival and action because it just doenst feel fluid with the control set up, i actually though the RE4 controler set up would be perfect for the old RE games.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:35 pm

RantFromRant wrote:F.E.A.R was awesome, one of the few pc games i played and i loved it, too bad it turned to crap.
    RE5&6 didnt sell beacause it's not what the fanss of the series wanted(re4was cool but i didnt like it much) it just doesnt feel like a true RE gam but they should say that they're going on a different direction and not make trailers that seemed kinda like the old RE and make a damn action game, instead they should go all action game and not a crappy mix of survival and action because it just doenst feel fluid with the control set up, i actually though the RE4 controler set up would be perfect for the old RE games.
    I agree, RE4 had a nice control system that wasn't too action oriented and nice enough to not be horror forced on you by tank controls and forced perspectives.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

the problem i have with the new REs(4 through 6) is that are not scary at all, its more action than anything and it just feel like a different game, it shouldnt even be called RE, people would not have this dislike for them if they just named it something else, also the controllers dont fit that kinda action, like i said before they would be perfect for a true survival hooro game.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah, RE4 marked Capcom's move towards a more action oriented game. It didn't have the fear factor F.E.A.R. had, but it was still somewhat enjoyable.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm

here's my wall of text response
    Spoiler:
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:here's my wall of text response
    Spoiler:

I definitely agree with improvement on a series and innovation, but I don't like it when core game mechanics are ignored for what's currently popular. I admit I haven't given 6 a fair change, but 5 left me wanting for something...more. Dead Space filled that gap quite well, which is why I don't want to pop the disc of 3 in and be sorely disappointed.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:35 pm

If I had to pick a worst in the series, I'd have to say 5. I really wasn't a big fan at all. 6 has both an enhancement of what 5 offered, in Chris and Jake's campaigns, but then it's also a return to it's roots, in Leon and Ada's campaigns. I was also a fan that was left with a bad taste in my mouth after 5, but in a lot of ways 6 has redeemed that for me. Again, there are missing core mechanics that make me unhappy also, such as that the action is split into levels, making it feel less seamless, that you're forced to have a partner, that there's no more weapon customization, and that the adventure element is disappearing more with each installment, but there's so much that's good in it too. If anything I'd say DS3 is more of a return to DS1 than 2 was. The first maybe 30 minutes of DS3 is very actiony, while it's setting the stage for the next installment to the series narrative, but once you end up where you're initially going, and find yourself alone in dark halls, inching forward, silently watching the end of your gun's laser sight painting dots on a wall vent, trying to guess where the shadow you just saw disappear, is going to reappear, and listening to the echoed scratching coming from within the walls, it's Dead Space.

Another way it's returning to its roots that I'm really enjoying, is that Isaac is an engineer again, and it matters to the gameplay. When you're going places in this one, it's because Isaac is trying to fix some such space thing, in order to save everyone's lives, and when you get to that place, there are big machine parts and systems that you have to physically repair again, and in doing so, and starting up these big machines, a lot of noise is made, and necromorphs are attracted. So as you're accomplishing these little minor goals, fixing things, you have to be watching your back the whole time. It creates some pretty intense situations.

That was one of my criticisms about DS2. It didn't feel as much like all the objectives were for a common goal, like in DS1 when you were trying all these different things to get off the Ishimura. In a lot of places it just seemed like you were just aimlessly wandering around the Titan. In 3 your objectives definitely feel oriented towards a whole again
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:44 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:If I had to pick a worst in the series, I'd have to say 5. I really wasn't a big fan at all. 6 has both an enhancement of what 5 offered, in Chris and Jake's campaigns, but then it's also a return to it's roots, in Leon and Ada's campaigns. I was also a fan that was left with a bad taste in my mouth after 5, but in a lot of ways 6 has redeemed that for me. Again, there are missing core mechanics that make me unhappy also, such as that the action is split into levels, making it feel less seamless, that you're forced to have a partner, that there's no more weapon customization, and that the adventure element is disappearing more with each installment, but there's so much that's good in it too. If anything I'd say DS3 is more of a return to DS1 than 2 was. The first maybe 30 minutes of DS3 is very actiony, while it's setting the stage for the next installment to the series narrative, but once you end up where you're initially going, and find yourself alone in dark halls, inching forward, silently watching the end of your gun's laser sight painting dots on a wall vent, trying to guess where the shadow you just saw disappear, is going to reappear, and listening to the echoed scratching coming from within the walls, it's Dead Space.

Another way it's returning to its roots that I'm really enjoying, is that Isaac is an engineer again, and it matters to the gameplay. When you're going places in this one, it's because Isaac is trying to fix some such space thing, in order to save everyone's lives, and when you get to that place, there are big machine parts and systems that you have to physically repair again, and in doing so, and starting up these big machines, a lot of noise is made, and necromorphs are attracted. So as you're accomplishing these little minor goals, fixing things, you have to be watching your back the whole time. It creates some pretty intense situations.
    Hmm, I like those words man. Might decide to finally pick up RE6 next month. And I'm glad to hear you think Dead Space 3 is more of a return to 3, makes me less reluctant to pop the disc in.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, it definitely is a continuation of where they were going with 2 also, I've just been pleased to see some elements that were done away with in 2 returning. One thing I'm still sad to see gone is the map system. I really liked the 3D Ishimura maps in 1. Not only did it help you to figure out where you were going, but it made the space you were in feel more real and whole. I don't know why they got rid of that.

If you're not sure about RE6 you could always rent first. Games are expensive. I'd hate to be the reason you bought something you ended up not liking. These are just my opinions

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm