Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
WyrmHero
Cabjoy
Pallash
Myztyrio
T-King-667
9 posters

Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?

T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?  Empty Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?

Post by T-King-667 Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Apparently there was a rumor floating around shortly after the time of the pc release of dark souls, that the resistance stat was receiving a tweak. I like most others never decided to actually take a look into it. But recently I decided to create a toon based around str, vit, end and res This is the build i have planed Here And This is what im at up to this point (stats wise) and i have some results to share after some forest pvp. First of all ive used The black iron Gantlets and chest piece +5, my leggings were +8 and my hood was +6 My main weapon at the time was a handaxe+15. The first battle i fought was against a dude with a +10 balder side sword (i asked him how it was upgraded after the battle) and he used the "Great magic weapon" buff And to my amazement he barley caused damage when he hit me (would take at least 7 hits before i die) in the end i killed him. A few battles later i faced a guy with a +5 electric rapier. He one shotted me with a hornet BS. There was another time where i had 8/10 of my health left and my enemy used "Great fireball" and finished me off (I was dumb enough to get hit). And yet there was another time when my enemy used a +14 great club (again i asked the wielder after the fight) He managed to hit me once during the fight with a 2h swing, It did almost half my health (About 4/10 of my health) so in total i would be able to withstand 3 2h hits from a +14 great club with 12 vit. In cases such as this it feels like maybe res is actually making a good impact, but in cases like getting pretty much one shotted from a fireball makes me think otherwise. I plan to do more pvp with the toon today and maybe record some footage and post it here. But what do you guys think? Maybe its really doing somthing? or maybe its just the armor?
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?  Empty Re: Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?

Post by Myztyrio Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

I believe it just makes defenses increase at a faster rate, as opposed to how fast they would increase investing those points in a different stat. It's still a less wise choice than simply having optimized armor. However, I've been considering making a RES-based character who would simply invade in the swamp at lower levels.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?  Empty Re: Resistance stat now usefull in pvp?

Post by T-King-667 Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Myztyrio wrote:I believe it just makes defenses increase at a faster rate, as opposed to how fast they would increase investing those points in a different stat. It's still a less wise choice than simply having optimized armor. However, I've been considering making a RES-based character who would simply invade in the swamp at lower levels.
    I know but after hearing that they tweaked it in the last update i decided to experiment to see if it has any use in pvp besides bonus poison resistance and slight better resistance with everything else, since that was always there. Before the patch the res stat was a god stat for pve (greatly reduces damage from npc's and mobs)
    Pallash
    Pallash
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pallash Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Maybe there is a scaling for a wep to it? like the Blueblood Sword in Demon Souls? iono ;o
    Cabjoy
    Cabjoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cabjoy Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Do your defenses match that as listed by the character planner? It'd be interesting if there has been a change, that wasn't caught and adjusted for mugenmonkey.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Resistance is useless thanks to humanity. With 0 humanity you get around 30 points of defense with 40 Res. At 99 humanity, your defense won't go past 170 defense points, meaning your Res stat points are useless. Still you'll want to compare in game stats with mugenmonkey, it could be wrong. I don't think Res has a hidden factor either, but who knows.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Resistance is useless thanks to humanity. With 0 humanity you get around 30 points of defense with 40 Res. At 99 humanity, your defense won't go past 170 defense points, meaning your Res stat points are useless. Still you'll want to compare in game stats with mugenmonkey, it could be wrong. I don't think Res has a hidden factor either, but who knows.
    Like i said, there was rumors floating around saying that the res stat was tweaked or buffed and im researching to see what i can dig up.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am

Ive created a video here And its just showcaseing me PVPing with my str and res at 40 and with everything else at base. Im honestly suprised with how well i did. But i advise you guys to give it a watch too. Even the dude with the bk haliberd was doing almost no damage, even with that weapon unupgraded against a dude with 12 vit shouldent he do more than that? Maybe res is working a bit. But i want yous guyses opinions.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 am

Someone could try this VS this

The level 88 should take less damage. At least if the resistance thing is true.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

Sloth9230 wrote:Someone could try this VS this

That's a very good idea sloth!
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:25 am

I can see what you're saying.

-Your lightning defense is kinda low and you fought a few of them in the first few minutes....didn't seem like they were doing a lot of damage.

-Then there's the riptose kill from the scythe guy. Ya you shoulda died, but what if he only did 800 damage? No way to tell I know.

-The guy with Smough's Armor at about 6:19...he hits you with Great Combustion and only does 297. I think that is low for your stats, when considering he had a Black Knight Sword, Smough's Armor...its was prolly a fully upgraded pyro hand right?!?!? (although your fire defenses are decent)

-Then like you say that guy with the BK Halberd...idk man.

-Then the backstab from the guy at 11:50. It had to be Chaos, I mean he WoG'd you. Didn't hit you for 800 or above...wth?

-Then after that you got hit by a WoG that did hardly any damage...

Idk King...you either fought some people that were slacking on their upgrades, or you might be on to something.

***EDIT***
    My bad, thanks for the video dude. Thanks for taking the time to investigate, and if you did figure it to be true, then thanks for real dude :Baal02:

Last edited by Animaaal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : structure/spelng)
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:33 pm

i thought it was tweaked to be more effective in pve.. something about each point reducing a point of damage taken..

thats not tested.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 am

Leveling up naturally gives you higher armor, so that isn't a sure fire way to figure it out sad
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 am

Slarg232 wrote:

Leveling up naturally gives you higher armor, so that isn't a sure fire way to figure it out sad

Thanks to the humanity, they have the same stats. I'm not sure what you're talking about? is it the little number next to the main defense?
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    Slarg232 wrote:

Thanks to the humanity, they have the same stats. I'm not sure what you're talking about? is it the little number next to the main defense?
    There has to be some sort of diffrence between the two besides curse resistance and poison resistance?
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

No, I was mistaken and didn't see the armor value there.
    I am currently making a Knight Cosplay with 40 Health, 40 Endurance, and 40 Resistance, just because I can and it's mostly a Questing Knight. So, when I get him built and at level 99, if someone else wants to make someone at SL 99 with the same health and in +10 Elite Knight armor, we can run some tests based on that.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm

I am now extremely curious about what the 114 and 164 actually do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am