Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Sentiel
Noob-of-Artorias
BLA1NE
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
gmwdim
RANT
WyrmHero
Seignar
Soris Ice Goldwing
The Letter X
skarekrow13
Sevans
ChizFreak
17 posters

20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:12 pm

I probably won't be able to justify it either actually. If Dark Souls 2 is ps3 maybe that'll give me time to save money
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement

Post by BLA1NE Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm

If Dark Souls 2 is PS3 then I'll be very conflicted! PS4 or DkS2...

By the way, Capcom is trying so hard to go for the Souls crown! I've grown to seriously loathe Capcom this gen, but hopefully they redeem themselves next gen. I hope their game will be good.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 pm

BLA1NE wrote:They didn't say a price... I'm pretty sure they didn't want to charge as much this time around. Although judging by the specs they sort-of-mentioned, it sounds expensive.

I don't care, I can justify it! silly

It's gonna come around holidays 2013 though. The price would be maximum $400, that's the standard.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm

I got it: I'll move back in with my parents for a month, that'll pay for a PS4! silly
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 pm

BLA1NE wrote:I got it: I'll move back in with my parents for a month, that'll pay for a PS4! silly

lol!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Chiz, the ps3 was 600 here on release. Part of the reason for slow adoption so I hope Sony doesn't go that high again.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 pm

How Blizzard keeps its customers on hold: Plays an awful cover of "Sweet Home Alabama" over my phone's speaker. 20 February, 6:00 PM EST (GMT -5:00), Playstation Meeting 2013 - (most likely) Playstation 4 Announcement - Page 2 2707236321
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

I was a little bit impressed by the demos, but not too much. Most of the new features sound nice, but none of them really screams "REVOLUTIONIZE THE WAY PEOPLE PLAY GAMES" like they kept emphasizing throughout. I'll be able to chat with PSN friends on my cellphone? Yeah, sounds like a nice feature to have, but hardly impressive. In the end the PS4's success/failure will depend on the lineup of games and how well they perform (if you recall, PS3 games were generally more buggy and suffered more graphics problems than their X360 counterparts for several years; Sony can't have that happen this time around).

The only feature I'm really looking forward to is the instant-share feature, as I've always wanted to share my more interesting co-op and PvP from Dark Souls (and a few other games) but don't want to buy expensive HD recording equipment.

The following games were announced/demonstrated (that I can remember):

New Killzone title: Looks pretty cool, although I'm not really an FPS gamer and haven't played the previous titles. Not much to comment from me.

"Team racing" game: Not sure how this would be better than Gran Turismo, and they didn't give any specifics for what "best cars" and "best locations" meant. That stuff about "you can open the door and strap yourself in so it feels real" and "it's a social game, you can setup matches from your phone" once again just seems like fluff. Almost no actual racing footage shown.

New Infamous title: Lots of chaotic stuff going on in the trailer that is shown on in-game monitors, making it hard to see anything. Not much was revealed, but I'm looking forward to more info on this game.

Some open-world puzzle game from the guys who made Braid: The trailer itself was sort of a puzzle, as I couldn't figure out what the hell they were showing.

Capcom game called Deep Down. It's a fantasy action (-RPG?) game where you fight dragons. Sound familiar? Personally I think I've played enough dragon-fighting games but this one looked pretty cool. Worth finding out more about.

Square Enix announced that they'll announce a new Final Fantasy game at E3. Yawn.

Watchdogs from Ubisoft: I like this one. Definitely looking forward to it, although to be honest I wasn't impressed with the demo. The guy walked around and didn't do much for the first half of the demo. But I trust that they'll fill it out with actual interesting characters/missions rather than just having a huge city of generic NPCs.

Diablo III: Yawn.

Activision/BUNGiE: new FPS called Destiny will be on PS4. Again, not an FPS player so I don't care too much.
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 pm

I also wasn't too impressed with the hardware specs. The developers kept talking as if the PS4 has infinite computing power, but anyone who's worked with computers knows that boosts to computing power get eaten up really, really fast by application demands. In reality, it's just a pretty standard PC: 8 CPU cores, 8 GB RAM (GDDR5), standard HDD. They even described the GPU as "enhanced PC GPU". A Blue-Gene this is not.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that they didn't even reveal what the PS4 looks like! No prototype, not even a photo of a prototype!
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 pm

^I thought all the sharing was really cool. Not only will you be able to upload replay videos easily, you'll also be able to stream directly from the console. And that bit about playing a difficult part for your friend over the internet was pretty interesting! Also, instant playing will be great: play PSN titles immediately, while they download in the background, and the ability to put the PS4 in power-saving mode at any point in your game and pick up immediately right where you left off, without having to wait for the console and game to boot (like the PSP does--or the Go anyway, I don't know about the other ones).

- Killzone is pretty much PS's Halo. Consistently good FPSs, can't really go wrong with a Killzone title. If it releases anywhere near the PS4's launch, it'll be a huge incentive to buy the console.

- Driving Club, the team racing game, I'm honestly not too interested in either. Partly because I'm a GT fanboy! But it looked great for racing enthusiasts who'd like a more community-centered approach than GT has. Kind of like multiplayer FPS games will focus on clans, this is a racing game that aims to cater to that experience.

- Infamous is a great series, I'm also looking forward to seeing more of this one. No need to say any more!

- "The Witness", to me, looks really interesting. I was intrigued from the first time I read its title and saw the first screen. I loved Braid, and this looks like a Myst/ Journey/ Braid hybrid. Anyone currently discussing in the SotC/ Journey thread should check out The Witness!

- Capcom's Souls wanna-be. Like I said earlier, hopefully it turns out to be good... but if it doesn't, we'll all be too busy playing DkS2 anyways.

- Squeenix: yeah, bleh.

- Watch Dogs: This game is going to have to do a lot to impress me. Just looking at it I'm about 99% sure it'll be a casual-fest like Assassin's Creed. If you're into nearly-automatic gameplay, then check it out. But if you're like me and you like to actually be in complete control of the gameplay, then I say watch very closely and try not to be fooled.

- Diablo III: not for me.

- Destiny: will have to see more. Interesting, but I have my reservations. For one, I'm not a big fan of Halo. And two, it's published by Activision... Will be a money cow, and probably noob-friendly. I'm keeping my mind completely open, though, and I'm eager to see whether they woo me or not.

There was also "Knack" that was briefly shown. Looks a bit childish visually, but the story looked like it had a lot of depth. Will keep an eye on this one. I feel like there was more, but I forget the rest right now...

Oh, the new controller looks nice! The console specs don't worry me at all, seeing what they were able to squeeze out of this gen's hardware. I'm sure devs could max it if they wanted to, especially once all those OS capabilities are eating away at the specs, but once the gen hits its stride that hardware will be competent for years to come.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 am

While I'm a sort of Sony fanboy, I'm also hater of any social sites, so when they all talk about sharing, connecting with others etc, it just makes me want to stop saving for PS4. sad

The controller is very ugly and looks pretty cheap. I hope they will change it, like they did with PS3. If I could use my DS3, that would be enough. Can't imagine any good use of that touchpad anyway.
    btw
    What does that blue light do?

On the other hand, the games look fantastic, especially Watchdogs.
    Capcom got my hopes up with that medieval game, but in the end, it looked kind of shabby. Can't put my finger on it exactly though...
    The rest looked impresive, but that's about all, nothing new, original, or good enough to make me interested. :|
    gmwdim
    gmwdim
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by gmwdim Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 am

I don't like the new controller either. The share button seems like it'll be useful, but they could have put that somewhere on the current Dualshock. Sony has basically had the same controller since the beginning and it's worked fine; the new one seems cluttered and I imagine the touchscreen will end up being clumsy (like a laptop touchpad). I think they said that the lights would have different colors, so you can identify player numbers by color instead of the 1-2-3-4 positions on the current controllers.

About Capcom's Deep Down, whether fair or not, they're going to be viewed as copying a trend with so many dragon-slaying games already out (Dragon Age, Skyrim, Dark Souls). It also doesn't help that the overall atmosphere of the game trailer looks similar to Dark Souls, and the tagline "Conquer your fear, or die a coward" sounds kind of Dark Souls-like too. I kind of want to play Deep Down, so I really hope it's something entirely original and not "Dark Souls atmosphere + Devil May Cry/Street Fighter mechanics".

Or who knows, it could be Dragon's Dogma 2. *shrug*
    BagerX2
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by BagerX2 Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 am

The controller does look kind of cheap to me aswell. That being said it looks comfortable to use. I love my ds3, but it does have a few problems to me. The grips are kind of small for my hands, looks like the new one solves this with slightly larger round grips. The L2/R2 I like better on the DS2, it looks like the DS4 is closer to that which I like. The sticks being spaced a little farther apart is nice to me as I do sometimes bump thumbs. The concave sticks im kind of iffty about, as in im used to it from the xbox controller but ill have to see how I feel about in on the DS4. The touch pad and the light bar for the move are straight up gimmick BS that didnt need to be on there, but I guess they have to add features for the casual market. The share button thing is kind of neat, I can see making a few videos with that function. Overall its like a mash up of the curvy xbox controller and the better stick design of the dualshock.
    Edit: added link to a article with more pics of the controller.
    http://kotaku.com/5985802/first-official-pics-of-the-playstation-4s-new-controller--camera

On the capcom game Deep Down. I go the Dark Souls feel right from the start. The character design looks really good, however that dragon design looked super lazy. I really hope the end product is good though because I love fantasy games, the more the better to offset the trend of 50 dudebro shooters released every year. Don't get me wrong I like shooters, spent a lot of time playing rainbow and battlefield, but many are just getting to bland and easy, looking at CoD here. I will watch it as more is released, but like BLA1NE said, if its bad we will have Dark Souls 2.
    sunbro
    sunbro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sunbro Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 am

Sentiel wrote:While I'm a sort of Sony fanboy, I'm also hater of any social sites, so when they all talk about sharing, connecting with others etc, it just makes me want to stop saving for PS4. sad

I hear you, I think I'm one of the few that doesn't have any kind of social media, but you don't have to use it
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 am

sunbro wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:While I'm a sort of Sony fanboy, I'm also hater of any social sites, so when they all talk about sharing, connecting with others etc, it just makes me want to stop saving for PS4. sad

I hear you, I think I'm one of the few that doesn't have any kind of social media, but you don't have to use it
    More than FB and others, I'm more concerend about PS4's own socialization options. The option to take control of another's game will surely require confirmation from both sides, so it won't get abused, but the other features, like watching other people play etc. are what makes me worried.

Anyone can click on my PSN profile and see the little there is to it. I don't have any privacy option there. It may seem silly to you and others, but I view the option to watch whatever I'm doing on my console without my consent as an viloation of my privacy. If it would come to that, I would have to reduce my Friend List to a bare minimum of people. If people outside of my FL will be able to do it as well, I may go offline completely. But there's always the chance that PS4 will require internet connection to work, which is the worst out of all those things.

I know I'm jumping to conclusions here, it's mostly because I like to expect the worst, then I'm always pleasantly suprised when it gets better than I expected. Perhaps it's also thanks to Sony keeping an unescesary lid on everything.
    sunbro
    sunbro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sunbro Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 am

If I compare it to Gran Turismo 5 all the people in my lobby can spectate my racing and switch form car to car but you can always kick them from the lobby

They can even see to some point what setup I'm running, so if i'm burning up the track with a certain car and smoking the competition you always spot "new" racers with the same car afterwards

Thats the reason I mostly run in friends lobby's insted of open lobby's, and I agree there has to be some privacy that if some one want to join you're session you should allow or denied

Last edited by sunbro on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Kind of derailing and going off onto another subject about one of the games revealed at the conference last night. Well here's more info on Infamous Second Son. Just what I found on the Playstation Blog:
    "Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him: A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life. After rescuing occupants from a fiery bus wreck, he discovers that he suddenly has the ability to direct, manipulate and even transform into… Smoke. Could he have absorbed this power from one of the passengers he pulled from the wreckage?
    Setting the scene: It’s been seven years since the Cole McGrath episodes and the world has clearly changed. Anyone showing signs of being a so-called “bio-terrorist” is immediately handed over to the Department of Unified Protection (DUP) — a government agency created to ensure there is never a repeat of the catastrophic events of Empire City and New Marais. So Delsin, who has never been particularly respectful of authority, finds himself caught in the DUP dragnet – And decides he’s not going to go quietly.

Along the way, Delsin is going to ask questions that are not just relevant to the world of Second Son – but to the world we all live in today. A world where we are often instructed to surrender our freedoms to help improve our security. Ben Franklin once wrote “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Is he right?"

Sounds interesting enough though for some reason I really want to know which ending they are going off of from Infamous 2 because as of now I can see it going either way really. Though if they use the good ending as canon I say they have to have Zeke in the game at some point, even if it's just a cameo.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm

@Sentiel

I am 100% certain those functions will require your consent and that you'll be able to turn them completely off in the first place, if you wish. They wouldn't just turn everyone's console into streams automatically without letting you choose, let alone let anyone hijack your controller while you're playing!

The only thing that bugged me is when they were talking about increased real-life friends and profile integration. Looks like I'll have 2 different profiles online: myself to my friends, and Blaine to online friends. I don't like that. (Like how Youtube won't stop asking me if I want to use my google account info instead of my youtube username--NO, I DON'T want to, stop asking. Then I realized it went backwards and used my youtube avatar for my google account--wtf. Had to change that back. I want the 2 to be and to remain distinct.) For one, it'll be more complicated, cluttered, and I just don't want my own profile on there in any form. My gaming life is not my social life, and I don't want them to overlap any more than they do currently. When I'm playing, I'm Blaine, that's it. I already hate it when games call me by my own name when I'm playing offline! Stick to Blaine, not my real life info.

And about the sharing, I'm not into sharing my gaming on Facebook, but I always wanted to get into Youtube sharing. I was really hoping the PS4 would allow us to save and upload video without a PVR, and it does, so I'm really happy. Only thing is I think it'll be for short clips, rather than extended sessions (or a full speed run), but I'm sure there'll at least be a way to upload it to a different site than youtube to then download, edit, and upload them to youtube after.

Oh, about the controller: you guys are crazy! It looks awesome, and from the sounds of it it'll be even more responsive than the current one, so I'm happy. The only thing I don't like is the mirrored finish under the d-pad and the buttons--that's going to get dirty and I'm constantly going to be rubbing it clean! Other than that, I'm really excited for it. I'm getting really tired of the current DS, and it was overdue for a change. It's a great controller, but it can definitely be improved, and this looks like an improvement, for sure.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 pm

My reaction to this whole thing was "Wow, it's f*cking nothing." At least there's still free online, offline gaming and used games compatible. All we need now are some games, dammit.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:My reaction to this whole thing was "Wow, it's f*cking nothing." At least there's still free online, offline gaming and used games compatible. All we need now are some games, dammit.

What you mean? Better specs, faster online, retro compatibility (and in the future the option to play old games in any device) through Cloud Gaming, a new touchpad, THE ABILITY TO PLAY GAMES AS YOU DOWNLOAD THEM, the PS4 has a 2nd chip only for background processing (like downloads in the background), the PS4 is always recording the last 15 min of your gameplay and you can share it without effort!

Also the PS4 will no longer have "setup" processes, like you know, you go turn on the PS3, and wait until it completely turns on, so you can start playing, well now that is over, you can press the power button of the PS4 at ANY time and the PS4 will enter a low-power state letting you go do other things, when you comeback, you just press the power button again and the system will restart JUST WHERE YOU LEFT it, even in the middle of games.

Plus they said they will be supporting the Vita with the PS4 via Remote PLAY, THANK GOD! I bought a PS Vita and I was afraid that with the announcement of the PS4 they would announce a new handheld, but hell no, this is AWESOME!

Games: Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son, New Final Fantasy, Diablo 3 for PS4, Drive Club, a design software made by Media Molecule to use with Playstation Move, recently CD Projekt announced that The Witcher 3 will be in PS4 too, Watch Dogs, The Witness (a puzzle indie game made by the creator of Braid), among others I'm forgetting.

Plus Sony announced today PS4 will NOT require constant internet connection, and will not put any barriers to SECOND HAND GAMING.

Plus Bungie the creators of Halo sided with Sony to make Destiny (though it's not exclusive, they will make exclusive content for PS4), Cliff Bleszinski left Epic Games to make his own games, I mean the 2 important exclusive franchises of Microsoft just got damaged, I mean:

MICROSOFT JUST GOT OWNED

SPECIAL MENTION: Deep Down (working title), a game by Capcom, that uses the new (also developed by them) Panta Rhei Engine, with the best graphics in REAL TIME yet.

Check this video:

This is just 720p, Sony uplodaded a 1080p version, but they made it Private now for some reason, luckily, I recorded it in 1080p (owned SONY!), so I will upload it later.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Take all discussion about PS4 to this new thread I created, it has first info about PS4 and it's also the (suggested) place to discuss things about it:

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t18405-the-playstation-4-thread-first-info-and-also-discussion-about-it
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Why the hell is everyone saying deep down is copying dark souls? Lol because of a bonfire? It screams monster hunter the way iv always wanted it to be, I have high hopes for this.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm

The Witcher 3 has been announced for PS4 in case anyone in interested in that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 am