Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+35
Hue
Rayko
JohnnyHarpoon
OmarTheFuzzy
ExplodingPenguin
Gyonimizotetsu
Tolvo
EverlastingRat
ublug
OrnsteinBro
Myztyrio
Slarg232
GrinTwist
User1
ADirtySlate
raecor14
GaryBlevins
Cronotis
Seignar
Paragon
Nugget
Animaaal
Forum Pirate
Serious_Much
Phoenix Rising
samster628
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
WandererReece
swordiris
Nybbles
Acarnatia
BIG TIME MASTER
Dibsville
The Letter X
Rynn
39 posters

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. Empty New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Post by Rynn Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm

First off, I'd massively appreciate it if the next game did -not- have a Wolf Ring, as the extra poise granted from it was way too much in PvP.
    I'd also prefer not to see the Ring of Favor and protection, unless stamina boosting gear is available in other forms as well.
    The third ring I'd like to not see a return of is actually the Rusted Iron Ring, it's a bad concept because of how limited it's uses are.

Here is rings I'd like to see added to the game.

A ring that makes your rolls take half as long, and go twice as far, but removes all invincibility frames. Mobility sans Invincibility, a dangerous, but game changing utility trade. Potentially of use by Fat Rollers, or even Dark Wood Grain Ring ninja's that are in a rush.

A ring that makes you take 80% less damage from all sources while below 20% HP: Pretty much a Blue Tearstone that actually... works?

A ring that directly increases your shields stability by 10%, or makes weapons bounce off your shield in PvP, etc. Call it Guards Ring or something.

A ring that alters the damage type of your attacks: from slash to trust, or thrust to crush, for example. I'd also like to see the 3 types of physical damage actually vary in their effect a little, so far the only special one is thrust because of leo.

A quick ring that makes your attacks/spells twice as fast, but reduces AR by 30%, and you inflict 0% of the original poise damage value. This results in attacks that aren't capable of breaking your poise threshhold, but come incredibly quickly, and with a net increase in damage. The 30% AR loss should also effect buffs to avoid this being a required ring for buff builds.

Anyway, just my two cents.

The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. Empty Re: New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Post by The Letter X Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't want Havel's or DWGR to return, to add to your list. Havel's basically replaces Wolf and I only want the base roll speeds they give us. DWGR prevents instability damage in rolls and makes it too easy to dance around your opponent.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. Empty Re: New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again.

Post by Dibsville Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I'd like to see a Hornet Ring, but only for 5-15% extra damage. I just like the different animations, it gives spice to PvP. Havel's Ring doesn't need to be taken out, it's just like Ring of Strength from DeS. DWGR needs to be gone completely. Rusted Iron Ring should give your kicks special damage like the Charred Ring does, maybe it gives lightning damage since water conducts lightning. It would just be some extra stun time from a kick, but not enough to immediately go around someone and backstab. Hawk Ring seems useless, but I used to wear it through Township, my BBoP did almost double it's normal damage from afar. I would like something to be like the Hawk Ring, but ALSO increase damage. Wolf Ring is meaningless, unless your character is completely based upon light armor, and IMO, poise was a bad idea anyway.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:43 pm

I'd like mystery rings, with no description.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I think the Wolf's ring can work if they lower the amount it adds. (for example, to 20?)

I hope the DWGR makes a triumphant return. I think a balancing factor in that can be that they increase the weight of armors (armors in Dark are about two-thirds to three-fourths of what the are in real life and weapons are usually one-and-a-half times too heavy. Demons' Souls actually got the weight correct and Dark didn't :/) to their actual values, which will require flippers to have less poise.
    Regarding those rings, I hope the invincibility frames from rolling are at least minimized to as few as possible.

I think the RoFaP can work if it's split into three different rings-one that boosts health, one that boosts stamina, and there already is one that boosts equip load. Alternatively, there can also be one that boosts all three by a MINOR AMOUNT. (like 5%)

I hope for a ring that boosts shield stability so much.

A ring that makes the wearer count as being of a higher SL for being invaded. This may be a problem with gankers, though.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:25 am

what i don't won't isn't actually specific to rings, but equipment boosts in general. they just shouldn't stack, this alone would help to balance out allot of rings (and other things).

i want a ring that alters your weapons move set, sort of like what the hornet ring already does but broader. perhaps weapons could have a standard move set but the special attacks of those weapons are only unlocked when you are wearing the ring.

i want a ring that alters your character's movement animations, somewhat like the darkwood grain ring but without the ridiculous i-frames. it might change the jumping animation so that you can jump vertically instead of just horizontally, kip-up after being knocked down, a vault animation to get over low obstacles. basically something that would make the character look more acrobatic or feel more mobile, but it's benefit would have to be more aesthetic than actual.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am

Shield Stability ring would be nice.

I would like the removal of Havel's ring or for that matter any ring that lowers equipment load. If you wear fat armor you should roll fat. Period.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 pm

This is something that I would like to see.

Name: Ring of the Dancer.

Effects:

1) DWGR post-nerf

2) All non-great shields that shield bash will parry.

3) Critical animations for daggers are replaced with Hollow Theif's critical hit animations. There is no damage increase.

It's whimsy but has some usefulness too.

I think Havel's should return. It was in the previous game and has multiple uses despite only having one effect.

Something I absolutely don't want to see is DWGR pre-nerf. That was only made to remove part of the heavy armor penalty. Mainly the part that was added in this game. Also, the flip being slightly better then a fast roll didn't help.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 pm

i'd like a ring that adds durability damage to weapons based on the armor being damaged and the weapons damage type.
    slash weapons would damage light armor most (7 points a swing, cause slash weapons are fast and light armor has less durability.)
    pierce weapons would damage medium armor most(5 points cause stab weapons don't actually damage armor much irl and stab weapons have the leo ring)
    blunt weapons damage heavy armor most (ever seen a war maul stave in a knights chest plate? i'd say 25 damage a hit)
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:i'd like a ring that adds durability damage to weapons based on the armor being damaged and the weapons damage type.
    slash weapons would damage light armor most (7 points a swing, cause slash weapons are fast and light armor has less durability.)
    pierce weapons would damage medium armor most(5 points cause stab weapons don't actually damage armor much irl and stab weapons have the leo ring)
    blunt weapons damage heavy armor most (ever seen a war maul stave in a knights chest plate? i'd say 25 damage a hit)

I think that would be a nice change to game mechanics even without a ring but i think blunt and perce should be swapped. most of the force would be absorbed by a heavy armor but a good thrust will go through the armor and medium armor is just strong enough to be hard to slash but can be knocked with bash.

also no DWGR. eveyone and i mean everyone used it pre nerf and even post nerf its fast flip makes it the ring of choice for backstabbers and invaders who run away to the nearest enemy on low health.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

Specific blunt weapons were shaped and weighted so that they sent concussive force through plate armor and causing internal injuries. Piercing attacks were often the only attacks that actually broke through armor and cut the wearer. Slashing generally bounced right off of plate armor. Certain variations in armor, such as fluted, were made to reinforce armor for blunt attacks, such as fluted plate armor. Because of the very design, though, fluted armor had a tendency to catch piercing attacks and actually make them more likely to hit. What this is all getting to is that both thrusting and certain bludgeoning attacks actually pass through plate armor defenses. This has more to do with what defensive values armor give rather than rings, though. Basically, cloth and leather (light and some medium) armor is weakest to normal and slashing and being normal or weak towards piercing and bludgeoning. Chainmail and leather combined with metal (brigandines, studded leather) offer better resistance towards slashing and normal and bludgeoning, with thrusting again being regular. Heavy armor (sectional, full-plate, heavy fantasy stuff) offers extremely high resistance to slashing, less high resistance to normal, is weak to bludgeoning (unless reinforced for it) and piercing.

If Dark Souls 2 gets in to this and aims to be realistic, piercing should actually do less damage and be subject to less armor resistance, certain bludgeoning weapons should be less effected by shield and armor defenses, (a mace, for example, and not a club) and slashing and normal should be left as they are.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm

The Letter X wrote:I don't want Havel's or DWGR to return, to add to your list. Havel's basically replaces Wolf and I only want the base roll speeds they give us. DWGR prevents instability damage in rolls and makes it too easy to dance around your opponent.

You no likey my flippy-flippy? lol!
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

flip you! you flippin' flipper! silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Dibsville wrote: Rusted Iron Ring should give your kicks special damage like the Charred Ring does, maybe it gives lightning damage since water conducts lightning.

Actually, pure water doesn't conduct electricity/lightning as it has no ions in it to carry charge, just thought i'd give you a nugget of knowledge winking

Anyways, the only ring i want to see gone is dwgr, since it's obvious from doesn't know how to balance it properly (seriously, the only two options we get are overpowered as hell or nerfed into obscurity?). Everything else can come back, exactly as is (in new incarnations obviously).

Except leo ring. If there ever was a retarded useless thing, it's that. I STILL don't know how this thing works properly and i've owned the game for almost 18 months... seriously.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 pm

It works only if you hit your opponent mid swing/cast. Mid roll or shield break arn't counter damage.

I want the wolf ring, havels ring, fap gone. All gone, cast into the fires of mordor.

I want the clever cats ring/thiefs ring back.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 am

I'd like to wear 3 or 4 rings.

I want them to be shiny.

I want them to be useful.

That Ring of Steel and Protection could have been nice in a 4 ring set up for instance.

The wolf, rofap, pre-nerf dwgr, and pre-nerf hornets are examples of op'd rings I'd rather not see again.

I'd like a fog ring that actually works too like forum sorta said.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 am

Serious_Much wrote:Except leo ring. If there ever was a retarded useless thing, it's that. I STILL don't know how this thing works properly and i've owned the game for almost 18 months... seriously.

Leo boosts counter damage. Counter damage is hitting an enemy with a thrusting weapon with physical damage when the enemy is in the middle of an animation. That's what I've read.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Animaaal wrote:I'd like to wear 3 or 4 rings.

So you'd want someone to be able to wear wolfs ring, dwgr and ring of favour all on one build?!

*** dat ****.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Serious_Much wrote:

So you'd want someone to be able to wear wolfs ring, dwgr and ring of favour all on one build?!

*** dat ****.

Animaaal wrote:......The wolf, rofap, pre-nerf dwgr, and pre-nerf hornets are examples of op'd rings I'd rather not see again.......

No silly silly

But actual uses for other rings would be kinda cool.

***edit***

And they must be shiny. :cyclops:
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Thing is though, I bet they'll bring back wolf ring, ring of favour etc in different forms.. Personally I don't see the problem with them, just as I didn't see the problem with pre ruining DWGR, because if you herf/remove something, it's always gonna be replaced by another equally OP ring that everyone uses. If it's not them it's havels next..

I personally would rather have a nice wide selection of OP rings than a shed load of rings that basically make no difference..

Rings are always shiny.. except for the wood rings.. Why is there splinter damage? :|
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Rings are always shiny.. except for the wood rings.. Why is there splinter damage? :|

A ring that damages you everytime you hit someone, and it would have a useful bonus too.
    Nugget
    Nugget
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nugget Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 am

WandererReece wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:Except leo ring. If there ever was a retarded useless thing, it's that. I STILL don't know how this thing works properly and i've owned the game for almost 18 months... seriously.

Leo boosts counter damage. Counter damage is hitting an enemy with a thrusting weapon with physical damage when the enemy is in the middle of an animation. That's what I've read.

This is correct, and this actually makes the Leo Ring a very good ring. On dex builds with a weapon that has a thrust, the Leo Ring adds a very noticeable effect that can really mess up a lot of builds. Even if it's a strength build with a stupid amount of poise, Leo Ring counters are excellent for getting an unexpected extra-powered final hit. Part of the Leo Ring's strength comes from the fact that the enemy rarely catches on to the fact that you have it equipped.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 pm

With 76 poise, a sks user can rack up 1500 damage trading hits with a zweihander, before the zweihander can recover. One does not win r1 spam contests against a leo spear since the beiber ring got nerfed.
    Paragon
    Paragon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New rings I'd like to see, and rings i don't want to ever see again. Empty Martial arts ring

Post by Paragon Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 pm

A ring that changes your empty handed moveset into kung fu, karate, or hopefully muay thai. That would be SWEET
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Except leo ring. If there ever was a retarded useless thing, it's that. I
    STILL don't know how this thing works properly and i've owned the game
    for almost 18 months... seriously.
    Mathematically, Leo Ring increases Counter Damage from a 1.20 multiplier to a 1.68 multiplier. That is, dealing 68% bonus damage each time you hit an attacking opponent with a Thrusting attack. This means: The Leo Ring gives you 28% more damage than Power Within.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm