Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

The flipping Rolling Concept

HazelrahFiver

The flipping Rolling Concept Empty The flipping Rolling Concept

Post by HazelrahFiver Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:41 am

(posted this on another forum, but wanted to share the idea here as well)

A friend of mine and I discuss this game often and despite him having played through DeS in the past (and recently again in the present I was happy to discover), there was an adjustment period for him to understand how flipping/rolling works as far as dodging attacks is concerned.
    In short, at first he was getting struck almost every time he attempted to roll-dodge an attack. This led to him refusing to bother, even when I would yell, "Dude, *** roll!" Turns out he needed a reminder that you roll through attacks, with unrealistic invincibility frames.

That's where the discussion began, and I want to see if you guys have any thoughts on the subject. How rolls/flips work currently... as we all know... is that performing them grants some frames, and a second, of invincibility. You do not have to dodge the attack, and often times the
    best choice is to roll directly into it, or through it.

What if the next game worked more "realistically?" You not only weren't granted
    invincibility, but had to physically move out of an attacks range if you wanted to avoid damage.

In part, I very much like this idea. I think it would make the game more challenging and force the understanding of strategy upon the player. I can think of only a few games that did this, and even fewer that pulled it off, but it can be done. Imagine fighting Capra if you had to avoid his giant blades entirely!

Of course, I can think of two problems with this concept, the most impactful probably being PvP. it's already difficult enough to dodge appropriately when compensating for the lag and variety of attacks/weapons. Then there's also the problem of facing bosses such
    as Ceaseless. There's no where to run from some of those attacks. However, the next game could compensate for this (and I hope it has less gigantic bosses anyway).
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

The flipping Rolling Concept Empty Re: The flipping Rolling Concept

Post by The Letter X Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:21 pm

One of the best parts of this game is dodging. I'd rather keep that.
    HazelrahFiver

Post by HazelrahFiver Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:26 pm

The Letter X wrote:One of the best parts of this game is dodging. I'd rather keep that.

Just to be certain, I have to ask, you understand I am not suggesting the removal of rolling or dodging? I am suggesting that it be changed so that you can't roll your character's body through an enemy's attack, but instead that you have to move away from it. You actually have to be out of the weapon's physical dimensions to avoid damage. This would make the fights that much more realistic and challenging.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:33 pm

HazelrahFiver wrote:
    The Letter X wrote:One of the best parts of this game is dodging. I'd rather keep that.

Just to be certain, I have to ask, you understand I am not suggesting the removal of rolling or dodging? I am suggesting that it be changed so that you can't roll your character's body through an enemy's attack, but instead that you have to move away from it. You actually have to be out of the weapon's physical dimensions to avoid damage. This would make the fights that much more realistic and challenging.

I do understand, but that unrealistic part of dodging is what I like. The fights would become too much of a slugfest in my opinion if we had to completely stay out of a weapon's range.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 pm

spears would be more OP then they currently are, and magic would feel broken. The only roll that feels utterly broken with I-frames is the ninja flip.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Even though actually dodging is cool, the invincibility should stay for the sake of PvP.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I'd like to see a more realistic dodge, i.e. you just shuffle quickly in a direction without flipping/rolling, but I would want it to feel the same. Dark Souls has the most wonderful movement and I wouldn't want to compromise that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am