Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
RANT
Azul
6 posters

General weapon/online questions

Azul
    Azul

General weapon/online questions Empty General weapon/online questions

Post by Azul Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:09 pm

My friend and I decided to start over fresh with specific ideas in mind. I want to try out a total melee strength build, while he plans on going dexterity, already plans on using rapiers. I plan on using the Man Serpent Greatsword and possibly dragon weapons, but I would like to know specific details.

Primarily, I haven't got a clue as to how stat scaling works. It seems like around level 40 in strength, the Man Serpent Greatsword (according to that character planner) stops getting legitimate upgrades in power, from then on only a point or so of attack power per level. Am I right in assuming that by staying at level 40 in strength, I can have the best of both worlds with no real downsides? As in, a great primary weapon (Man Serpent Greatsword), and two handing dragon weapons (which I planned on using on bosses and certain PvP situations, not as a primary weapon)? Also feel free to suggest a better strength weapon, but from what I've looked at, Man Serpent Greatsword looks like a solid weapon when upgraded fully.

Same question but dexterity for my friend's weapon choice, he's going with Ricard's Rapier when he gets to it, but in general, what dexterity based weapons would be great for a guy who's in pure dex, minimum strength?

And from that subject to another, what would a good level be for me and my friend to strive for when it comes to online? He wants to be a Darkwraith again, but wants to invade in as many areas as he can without being 'cheap' (overpowered to the point of no chance of dying in an invasion). With that in mind, what's a general good level for the forest, should we decide to go there to fight people? Also, when the forest is devoid of bosses, can you be invaded by Forest Hunters still? Asking due to his desire to be a Darkwraith, obviously need to kill Sif to do so.

Long *** bit of text, but appreciate any help on the subject. I already tried to make a character build with my last character but I stopped sticking to it half way because I didn't have a solid idea of what to do, only general. Wanting to stick to a plan for this one, so the more knowledge, the better.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

General weapon/online questions Empty Re: General weapon/online questions

Post by RANT Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm

curved swords are really good for pure dex builds. as for a str build the msgs I one of the best weapons for them since it scales really well with str(A) and will hit hard, greataxe, small hammers, DGM, and small/large clubs are really good str weapons that aren't that heavy. go with 40 str to get the most out of the msgs(1h and 2h) going past forty is only if you wanna one hand a certain weapon but imo is not worth it(I realized this after spending tons of hours with str builds)the other weapons are a lot heavyer(almost twice as much) and the damage difference is not as much as it as it should be considering their weight.

you can cap at sl 80-100 since that's where most people pvp at. you can still invade as a hunter or whatever covenant you are in after you kill sif(you can do this in all areas).
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 pm

I just made a strength build. No magic, no miracles ( stats too low). One attunement slot , so I put a point or 2 there, all other points went to strength, and END, a couple in VIT . He's sl57 , HP890, Stamina172, STR35.
    He's a hard hittin mofo with a +15 reinforced club. Point is all points into STR & END. First.
    Also he is a newly inducted DW and have invaded over and over in Sen's, both forests, AL and Dukes Archives, couple times in the Undead Parish. Seems I'm always invading NG+ players in Undead Parish, Sen's , and the butterfly/hydra forest. Good active PVP . Low enough level to still co-op every area except maybe, the beginning.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm

one more thing, do not go over 40 end, its just not worth it. going from 40 to 55 end only gives you around 4 more which is ust not worth 15 points. mine looks llike this http://mmdks.com/1ugv
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Sometimes that little extra bit of END is just what you need though.

http://mmdks.com/1uia
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 pm

for me, 27 or 34 strength are good caps. most strength weapons work best when two-handing them and you won't see any benefit from going higher than 34.

for dex builds, 40 is the only number you need to know.

i find that 37 endurance is enough for most builds, sometimes a bit more is needed, but generally 37 is the sweet spot. i would only go higher if you absolutely must be fast rolling.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Jansports wrote:Sometimes that little extra bit of END is just what you need though.

[url=http://mmdks.com/1uia
    http://mmdks.com/1uia[/quote[/url]]

I don't get why people still go for 53 poise since greatswords don't stunlock anymore, usually I go for the running attack that stunlocks which you ned more than 52 poise to tank it. the small hammers do stunlock but very few people actualy use them and the thing I've noticed is that most people don't know about the poise break and end up getting stunlocked because they went up against and decided to trade blows.
    Azul
    Azul

Post by Azul Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 am

Gonna keep all of this in mind. Thing is, friend convinced me to join the Forest Hunters for a bit, and I have near base vitality still :p

Man Serpent Greatsword +13 is quite nice though with 40 strength. Darkwraiths managing to three shot me, not so nice. Level 44 and beat Anor Londo last night on a whim in about thirty minutes from start to finish. It amazes me. On my third character, I don't even have to think as I play anymore. I just kind of go into an area, and muscle memory takes over. Except titanite Demons. They ALWAYS give me trouble.

PvP is certainly going to be the major challenge of Dark Souls for me from now on. Only a couple bosses really give me trouble in Dark Souls, so looking forward to that new challenge of figuring out how to fight real, living players. I'd imagine I won't get many wins right now, given I have low vitality and endurance. But hey, won't lose anything for trying as a Forest Hunter, right? Do that for a bit, continue with the game, focus on vitality purely from now on, with occasional endurance.

I fear invading a guy who's just waiting for me though and insta-kills me. Not legit fear. More of a 'screw this back to single player' feeling :p
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Jansports wrote:Sometimes that little extra bit of END is just what you need though.

http://mmdks.com/1uia[
    ]

I don't get why people still go for 53 poise since greatswords don't stunlock anymore, usually I go for the running attack that stunlocks which you ned more than 52 poise to tank
    The great sword running r1-r1-back stab combo is why I hit 56 (the running attack break, though I actually go for 62) it totals upwards of 1400 damage if it hits, and even if you toggle the second hit you're not always going to avoid the bs. It can also be shortened to r1-back stab for around 1k though, so 53 is still a good idea.

To avoid having my ugs attacks interrupted in a trade is another reason.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm