Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
DE5PA1R
reim0027
DemonOfFate
Animaaal
Slarg232
Dibsville
Nybbles
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Tolvo
T-King-667
Werdax
hey its andres
16 posters

Off to Balder

DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Off to Balder - Page 7 Empty Re: Off to Balder

Post by DemonOfFate Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:13 pm

I've always wondered this, you know how Solaire says he "Became undead" in search for his Sun? How does one reliably turn undead? Isn't it kinda a random thing?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Almost everyone in Lordran tends to be undead, you become undead when you are branded by the Dark Sign. I don't think there's any lore behind how to 'become' branded by the Dark Sign per se, but we can definitely speculate as to how it happens.
    Mireneye

Post by Mireneye Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 pm

That pretty much fills in the blanks I was looking for winking

I'm thinking of ways to justify this theory without breaking it. Something to support this is that in DkS the only play you find the balder knights in is pretty much the burg and one in Sens. Correct me if I'm wrong I may very well be.

Additionally, I think I heard speculation that New Londo Ruins was like a city of the undead. It would make sense for knights of that city to live in a castle / IE burg.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

DemonOfFate wrote: I've always wondered this, you know how Solaire says he "Became undead" in search for his Sun? How does one reliably turn undead? Isn't it kinda a random thing?

Check out Watchtower Basement Key and Crestfallen Merchant dialogue. Havel was turned Undead on purpose.

EDIT: Yes, New Londo was a city of Undead. But its knights resided in the city itself; it was sealed off to contain them after the knights became Darkwraiths.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh despair, i'm aware that some undead were turned on purpose, i'm wondering HOW they did it. Because i haven't read anything saying HOW it happens, because it seems to me like it would be random.
    Mireneye

Post by Mireneye Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Aah yeah, that is true Di5PA1R!

As for being turned undead I would assume that it maybe it has something to do with Seathe, as being undead seems very much like some form of try at immortality...

Perhaps they experimented on how to sustain life post hollowing? after Gwyn's power started fading they would not only try to find a new champion to kindle the flame but also sustain Gwyn? Would enforce seaths involvement in the undead curse.

But that is HIGHLY speculative. I'm just musing myself. Didn't bother to look any reference up atm.
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 am

It's a really interesting part of the lore. I pointed out in my Chosen Undead vid that it's very likely humans and/or gods, like Smough, were eating Undead to try and prolong their lives (Server description/location, Butcher Knife, etc). No doubt that Seath was very interested in the Undead curse at one point.
    KazooieBanjo
    KazooieBanjo

Post by KazooieBanjo Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:27 pm

If the balder helm appears in Dark Souls II, I would hope we could get to wear it visor-down this time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm