Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED]

Zyrrashijn
    Zyrrashijn
    Addicted
    Addicted

GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED] Empty GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED]

Post by Zyrrashijn Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 am

Hello my fellow undead, Dark Souls needs your help.
    I recently recommended DS to a good friend of mine and he bought the game (from Amazon). Installation be done, GFWL prompt him there's an update to do, but it fails to do. Now he's unable to log in to his account (he hasn't used it for quite some time) because of the update pending. We tried to update manually already but to no avail. Router is set to allow upnp, we even tried with firewall down, nothing.
    Anyone of you had the same issue and solved it?
    Any idea be welcome, i fear he could quit playing DS before actually getting into it seriously. That would be a shame, not only for the money spent.
    Please help, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zyrrashijn on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
    Veradox
    Veradox
    Addicted
    Addicted

GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED] Empty Re: GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED]

Post by Veradox Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 am

Give a try to the solution stated below:

1. Uninstall Games For Windows Live — both the Marketplace client and the Redistributable. You can uninstall programs from your Control Panel.
    2. Go to this link and install the old version of Games For Windows Live: GFWL v3.3
    3. After you start the old Games For Windows Live, you’ll be prompted to update the service by clicking on a link. Do so.
    4. Install the new executable file as an Administrator (right click on the file and select “Run as administrator).
    5. The install will ask you to shut down any other running Games For Windows Live programs (it’s seeing the old client still running), select Ignore until the installation completes. The installer will close and so will the old version.
    6. The installation this time will run longer and you’ll see the installer actually downloading and installing the newest version of GFWL.
    7. Check out if helped.
    Zyrrashijn
    Zyrrashijn
    Addicted
    Addicted

GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED] Empty Re: GFWL/Dark Souls update problem [SOLVED]

Post by Zyrrashijn Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 am

Ok, thanks for the try, but it didn't work. I now think that it is not GfWL, but the game update that's causing the problems. He has a retail version that is not imbued with steam. Does anyone know how to update the game manually?
    kettpower
    kettpower
    Regular
    Regular

Post by kettpower Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 pm

i have the retail version. as far as i know there's no way to update the game manually, at least i found the update file itself nowhere to download.
    game does the update automatically as soon as you login to your gfwl-account.
    did he buy the game new or is it 2nd-hand/used?
    Zyrrashijn
    Zyrrashijn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Zyrrashijn Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

it is new.
    Veradox
    Veradox
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Veradox Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Man, you have the game registered to a Steam account, right?
    Just uninstall the version you have now, refresh your Steam library and click Download. It will download the latest version, and you will just need to activate the game with the code you already have.
    That should remove your DkS version concerns.
    Zyrrashijn
    Zyrrashijn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Zyrrashijn Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 am

It's alive! Steam did the trick. Thanks to helpful fellow Veradox!
    Veradox
    Veradox
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Veradox Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Always welcome!

Praise the Sun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm