Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
GenericUsername
Slarg232
Carphil
Forum Pirate
densetsushun
ViralEnsign_
Elite Knight
Leeroy_Jenkins
Ashran
RevolverSnake
Red Rosie
tinypantha
Emergence
JohnnyHarpoon
Uparkaam
Jansports
Satoshi
Dibsville
22 posters

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Red Rosie
    Red Rosie
    Chat Moderator

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 4 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by Red Rosie Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:00 pm

GenericUsername wrote:You know its getting really hard to keep playing this with my friends.

They always pull some undying hexproof first strike vigilant flying blah blah etc etc within the first turn or the likes.

They have hardcore ridiculous unbeatable decks that just take all the fun out of playing.

Im with you there, I gave up playing this game irl because of that reason, too expensive.

I put together a kick *** black deck with some decent planeswalkers, some mythic rare and competitive creatures (See my first post on this thread for which ones) and the whole value of the deck was around £200, which was LOADS for me, luckily I won most of the cards possible for that deck and didn't spend half what it was worth... 

But the breaking point for me was when some Rich A-hole showed up at our club with a blue / white deck :

Planeswalkers
    4X Jace, the mindsculptor - £200 per card at the time
    3x Gideon Jura                - £50 per card
    2x Venser, the sojourner   - £40 per card

Creatures
    4X Sun titan                   - £25 per card

And then basically everything in else were small but expensive creatures and walls etc to slow the game down long enough to get the stuff ive listed on the table

And the worst part? The guy had NO clue how to use it, yet it worked... He had literally googled the current 'best cards', thrown them all together in a deck that cost well over a thousand pound, and sat there laughing as he rinsed us casuls and our even casul-er decks with his OP stuff

Screw that guy, im definitely not bitter that I drew nothing but land for the first 3 turns twistedevil
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 4 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by Ashran Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:15 am

Red Rosie wrote:
    GenericUsername wrote:You know its getting really hard to keep playing this with my friends.

They always pull some undying hexproof first strike vigilant flying blah blah etc etc within the first turn or the likes.

They have hardcore ridiculous unbeatable decks that just take all the fun out of playing.

Im with you there, I gave up playing this game irl because of that reason, too expensive.

I put together a kick *** black deck with some decent planeswalkers, some mythic rare and competitive creatures (See my first post on this thread for which ones) and the whole value of the deck was around £200, which was LOADS for me, luckily I won most of the cards possible for that deck and didn't spend half what it was worth... 

But the breaking point for me was when some Rich A-hole showed up at our club with a blue / white deck :

Planeswalkers

Creatures

And then basically everything in else were small but expensive creatures and walls etc to slow the game down long enough to get the stuff ive listed on the table

And the worst part? The guy had NO clue how to use it, yet it worked... He had literally googled the current 'best cards', thrown them all together in a deck that cost well over a thousand pound, and sat there laughing as he rinsed us casuls and our even casul-er decks with his OP stuff

Screw that guy, im definitely not bitter that I drew nothing but land for the first 3 turns twistedevil

Wow... if that happened to me i think i'd fliptabled at the second match. Those guys... Better thing you can do is not to play with them and encourage all your friends to do the same.

pd: i was writting a really long post for this competitive vs casual mtg and then my chrome f+kcing closed. Damn. I will write it again later. Or tomorrow. Or never. 

Prostration
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 am

Red Rosie wrote:Planeswalkers

Creatures

Luckily playing standard curbs the OP cards somewhat(most of the OP cards I know are past Innistrad). That is one hell of a bad experience though Rosie sad
    Red Rosie
    Red Rosie
    Chat Moderator

Post by Red Rosie Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:54 am

It was the same everytime in the end...

I would see a valakut land go on the table and just die a little bit inside, or a red land card go down, and already be able to feel the barrage of instants / goblins cheesing me away before i even get anything down on the board

I joined just after the alara block, which sucks, because I played some alara (3 colour decks) and they made for some awesome games which were both interesting and long. 

Even during Zendikar, hardly anyone local utilized the Eldrazi or thought of creative ways to get them out, they just threw hundreds at the current meta to keep winning and not fall behind in saturday games
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 am

Yeah, I'm not big on going to FNM unless it's with a group I know will be geared to fun instead of competition. I'm a member of a games(anything from board games, to irl) club and they host FNM's, mostly Modern or EDH, I'm hoping they'll be more fun but I haven't joined any FNM's there yet.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 am

The FNM by me has that precisely stereotypical vibe that non MTG players think of when they hear the game's name.  It's a primary reason why I swapped to MTGO. I went in to learn and found a culture that wasn't receptive to teaching.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Agreed. My "FLGS" isn't exactly "Friendly". I went in, could not for the life of me remember the name of the Artifact Creature which gives all artifact creatures +1 +1 every turn. Just got this snide sneer and a "Steel Overseer", as though I was dirt for not knowing it myself.

Or

"You know, the new set is based off of Greece. It's gonna be awesome!" To which I was replied "Grease, huh? Will the cards be so greasy they just slip out of your hand?"

Don't get me wrong, I can handle a joke at my expense, but I can't stand idiocy, or just plain rudeness. This was all within my first trip, so it's not like they knew me at the time.

Now, I just walk in, grab some cards, and walk out. Wouldn't even go there if my damn credit card worked for online purchases.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm

densetsushun wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:Yeah. My strategy at preasent is to wait untill just after any given block falls from standard, because this usually accompanies a price drop (which may or may not be temporary) and then buy the expensive cards from the block before they have a chance to go back up in price. (with the release of new cards potentially putting them in higher demand for modern and edh.)
    Does that work?

By the way, does anyone know for sure which blocks are going out of rotation when they release M14?
    Most of the time. Its not 100%, and its not always a big price drop, but if you're buying 4 snapcaster for 20 instead of 25 then you just saved 20$.

I like FNM, I'd do it if I had the money to be competitive in standard, but I just don't. Its (ironically) much easier to save money and be competitive in extended and modern because of the volume of cards and obscure combos, so I prefer those events (which may or may not be FNM)
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:19 pm

You know, with the reprinting of the Slivers, I really want to see Licids come back into Mainstream Magic.

I never had a Licid deck, but they were just plain flavorful and awesome.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm

I bought a Dragon's Maze fatpack the other day, sadly they were all out of Gatecrash.  Most of what I got were just copies of each other.  Some decent stuff, but nothing great.  At least I got a Rakdos die.

So my friends in all their infinite charity finally coughed up some of the ungodly amount of cards they don't even use and gave them to me.  They said they gave some good stuff but then a whole bunch of crap they needed to unload.  But damn even the " crap " they gave me is still pretty good.  I can finally make some multi color decks.

I also decided to make an entire deck dedicated to Pillarfield Ox because good lord I have too damn many now.  I know I can only use 4 but still.  They gave me way to many copies.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 am

I've been checking out the MTG Facebook page and boy, do some of the cards look good. Already know what I'm going to do:
    -Modify Selesnya deck to fit in Ajani and maybe Garruk/Garruk's Horde, amongst others
    -Depending on the reds rotating into Standard, modify my Burn deck from Modern to Standard
    -Build a Humans&Angels lifegain deck. Lifegain shuts down agro = hello competitive edge
    -Build a Demon deck, because demons.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

So since I got all my new cards, I've wanted to make a black/white deck.

What do you think is the " limit " for mana cost?  My friend said to go for low cost because there's less of a chance that I'll get what color I'm looking for, which I understand, but a few of the creatures I have could be a little beefier.  I'm still going to keep some of the low cost ones just to pump out in the beginning, but what I'm asking is at what mana cost does a creature become impractical with a split deck?
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm

GenericUsername wrote:So since I got all my new cards, I've wanted to make a black/white deck.

What do you think is the " limit " for mana cost?  My friend said to go for low cost because there's less of a chance that I'll get what color I'm looking for, which I understand, but a few of the creatures I have could be a little beefier.  I'm still going to keep some of the low cost ones just to pump out in the beginning, but what I'm asking is at what mana cost does a creature become impractical with a split deck?

It all depends on what kind of deck, honestly.

My Azorius Deck has a bunch of CMC 2 cards, and then after that it jumps up to 4 CMC as a minimum. It relies on the Control from Detain to keep myself alive for long enough to get the monsters out.

If you are going B/W Extort, I would think four mana would be the upper limit.

In other unrelated news, I just bought the Sorin vs Tibalt duel Deck, and just LOOKING at Tibalts deck makes me feel like a fecking arsehole. It's got a bunch of "You draw three cards unless target opponent chooses to take 5 damage", "Board Wipe unless target opponent chooses to take 6 damage", "Steal target enemy creature", and "Sacrifice a creature" cards. Tibalt is just a bastard, but I think I'm homo in love with him XD

Also, the three types of decks are Aggro, Control, and what else?
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I kinda feel like a jerk every time I start to make a blue red deck.  Burn spells and cancels with discards and defenders.

Speaking of burn spells, my friend gave me a green burn spell.  Hornet sting.  It does virtually nothing, but still cool.

Also, are there any sources that give a description or overall idea of themes of sets?  In case I wanted to get mainly Orzhov-y or just black/white cards in general.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Not that I know of, but most players could just tell you about the themes anyway.

For instance, a generic white black deck is about robbing your opponent of Life. Orzhov is about playing monsters with Extort and then casting cheap spells to abuse Extort.

An Innistrad Black White deck is all about Lifelink.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Ah well I'm sure my magic friends will help.  They've been magicing long enough.

ANOTHER QUESTION, anyone have any experience with bulk purchases?  I was looking at moxdiamonds site and thought about buying the 1600 bulk pack for $37.  Seems like a good deal seeing as how a fat pack is 135 cards for $40.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:32 am

Any sort of Bulk Pack will have all the Rares and such removed, or at least that's how it usually happens with me.

Anyone else going to the 2014 event? I might have to buy another Tibalt vs Sorin and combine two Tibalt decks for my areas....
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 pm

bulk is either 4 of every common, 4 of every uncommon, or 4 of both from the specified set or block. A great buy generally, then you just buy the rares you must have for any given deck and go.

But black/white is life syphon generally, so you'll want to keep creature costs minimum most of the time, the more that you can play in a turn the better you can life syphon after all, either because your creatures syphon or because you have defenders so you can focus on life syphon.

B/w can also go lockdown and black necromancy can potentially be a huge benefit to life syphon (blockers that won't stay dead can be a big problem, especially if they look like this)Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 4 Image
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Oh balls that looks cool.

My main concern was actually whether they were all going to be common or common and uncommon.  I guess it could still be different depending on where you get them but I'll take that chance. 

http://www.moxdiamond.com/Magic-The-Gathering/Merchandise/Instant-Collection--h--1600-Cards--h--(200-Basic-Lands)--h--US-Orders--h--FREE-SHIPPING.html

It refers to them as " common lot " so I'm not really sure what that means.

EDIT: actually I think I might keep looking around for bulk.  Those seem really old.  If nothing else seems good then I'll get that
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd assume just commons, then pray for uncommons.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 pm

So did anyone look at the spoilers for the 2014 set?

I gotta say I'm not really impressed with them.  There are some cool cards here and there but the rest is meh.  I think I'm just going for their core set.

Also, for improving my extort deck, I put in some ghostly possessions to go with some basilica guards so I still get dat extort ability.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 am

I looked through them before when Wizards unveiled a few cards and I did like them. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the spoilers yet though.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 am

From what I was reading it looks like they are playing it safe with 14 and want to let let the Ravnica block stand out. If anything I heard whispers that it is shifting the meta a bit more away from control but I haven't read any spoilers to confirm or debunk that either way. I am looking forward to the next block though, hearing it could be Greek mythology inspired.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 am

First of all, just to get this out of the way:
    M14 is ooout!  cheers

I think the main focus of M14 is bringing back the Plainswalkers theme, hopefully the reprint of the 5 monocoloured Plainswalkers means they'll be printing more with the coming block.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I really hope they're shifting away from control.

I'm so sick of black/blue control in standard it's sickening. Mirroden was horrible about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am