Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Hatsune Miku
Spurgun
ResIsBestStat
Carphil
skarekrow13
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Encore
GrinTwist
Sentiel
JohnnyHarpoon
KrazykevS10
Serious_Much
16 posters

Is gaming dying? (yelp)

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Is gaming dying? (yelp) Empty Is gaming dying? (yelp)

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Tehdoomgrasp wrote:

And to what Lonewolf said I think the idea that consoles are dying is a little deeper than just that. I think gaming as a whole is dying. But that is a discussion for another thread.

Confused by this, games are more popular than ever, more money is being pumped into games than ever before.

Is gaming dying? Discuss.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Is gaming dying? (yelp) Empty Re: Is gaming dying? (yelp)

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue May 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I'd argue that the online parts are dying for anyone with a brain/social skills.
    The last few years has seen consoles become more mainstream than ever,while it has resulted in an increase of sales for both consoles and games,it has also brought more of the kind of gamers I affectionately refer to as 'retards','pr*cks' and 'c**ts'.

I find it hard to enjoy any game when the few people in game chat yell insults at other players or put their mic by some speakers and blast really bad rap into my ears.There is also a lot of team killing/ramming people in driving games.Not to mention the amount of hatemail being sent over the results of a match.

Sure there are more people online but the whole point I'm making is that people who are you know,normal are getting sick of it and either quitting playing or just staying out of multiplayer.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm

KrazykevS10 wrote:

Sure there are more people online but the whole point I'm making is that people who are you know,normal are getting sick of it and either quitting playing or just staying out of multiplayer.

You're right, but just to make one thing clear- the 'normal' people you speak of aren't the people like us who are sensible, they're the general population who do crap like you're pointing out above
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Gaming definitely is not dying, but its face is most definitely changing.

Console gaming as we know it can only go on for so much longer, same as DVD's and Blu-rays, etc. I don't think that statement is going to be extremely contested, as I think most of us can see that starting now (e.g. new XBox being pushed as an 'entertainment center' instead of as a console).

Casual gaming has been at an all-time high, however, because now everybody has a vehicle for gaming - their cell phone. People have access to more games than they ever have, and so people have discovered the gamers inside them in many different ways.

I feel like, however, most entertainment industries are dying, or at least drastically changing - studios and executives don't give money to people with ideas anymore. They want something marketable. You'd think, "Hey, if we market the sh*t out of this cheap game, we'll make a lot of money," would be a logical train of thought, but it's simply not how they work it. Instead, the business turns into a money pit, where spending more money becomes the solution for spending a lot of money. We get a million 'Call of Duty' games, that are all more or less the same and which are taking literally no risks technologically or creatively, while the game designers that are trying to actually take risks and do new things are more and more on their own for bringing their ideas into reality.

Albeit about movies and the film industry, Steven Soderbergh had a good speech recently about the state of cinema, and I think we can see much of what he's talking about applying to music and gaming and other creative industries. I thought it a great read: http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/steven-soderbergh-state-of-cinema-address/
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Gaming as we know it, is slowly decaying and there's a high chance it will completely die in a few years. Although dying is a very strong word, I would use the word changing instead, but let's go with the topic. It doesn't mean that the games will disappear. It means that the games we are used to, like Dark Souls, will be completely replaced by games like Angry Birds and the "hardcore" games will be only yearly released series, like Fifa, CoD etc, with few exceptions, mostly stuff like GTA.

The reason is money. High quality AAA games are more and more expensive to create and take yet still more time to complete and usually, they're far from complete upon their release. To make matters worse the money gained from these games doesn't have to cover it's production cost if it doesn't sell enough copies, not to mention profit. While games for smartphones and such are fairly easy to make and they are cheap (when compared to console games), but they can earn much more profit than big AAA games for PC and consoles, even if they don't sell as much.

Even if games completely move to cloud to eliminate losses from piracy and used games sales, it will not be enough to keep AAA games, especially original ones coming forever. You can see this for yourself. It's a simple comparison of the number of released games for this generation, with the number of games released for the previous generation and the one before it. You will notice a decline in the number of released games and even bigger decline in the number of original titles, while you'll surely notice a significant raise in the number of serial games, which are released periodically, like CoD.

Last edited by Sentiel on Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Maybe they met the quality of the game?

Take for example CoD. CoD isn't necessarily bad, they just don't do anything new with their new released games. Yet, it's still being accepted by mainstream gamers even though the developers (at least from where I stand) are being lazy.

Another possibility is the fact that the videogame industry has become more "corrupt", if you will, because the corporations just want the money from the videogame sales and focus little to nothing on anything else. I think EA games might be a perfect example seeing as they won "worst company of the year" award twice.

There might be something slipping my mind but that's all I can think of at the moment as far as videogames "dying".
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue May 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    KrazykevS10 wrote:

You're right, but just to make one thing clear- the 'normal' people you speak of aren't the people like us who are sensible, they're the general population who do crap like you're pointing out above
    I understand what you mean,you define normal as what the majority are.People complain about people in their early teens a lot but the truth is that people in their twenties or thirties act just as bad online.I'm a hothead and I don't like losing but you never see me abusing the crap out of people just because I don't like how they play.Common sense is not common at all.

It might only be the sensible people jumping ship right now but as things get worse,these douches will get sick of being around all the people that are exactly like them and follow.
    I guess to answer the specific question in the thread title,no.Gaming is not dying right now,it's growing,but it will start to collapse in a few years due to lazy developers and immature gamers.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Tue May 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, what I meant was something more similar to what JonnyHarpoon said. Though in the area of console gaming I think it as a medium will develop. We can see that PC gaming is very... Wobbly and unstable. There are some genres of gaming fit for PC and other for console. As was said earlier Console gaming "as we know it" is declining, but I think that opens up for new ideas, not just generalizing consoles as a kind of "Entertainment center".

If Sony succeeds with PS4, the face of console gaming might change. Technewsdaily had an interesting article on it here: http://www.technewsdaily.com/18167-gaming-console-competition-over.html

The idea of gaming itself is also starting to change, as games becomes more and more simple in order to cash in, with a few (good) exceptions each year. Otherwise it´s just another sequel or reboot or clone that just tries to make money. Casual gaming has become stronger than ever, leading developers and console makers to focus their resources on that.

I think console gaming is not dying per se, rather it is experiencing a rebirth, and whether that is good or bad is yet to see.

PC gaming on the other hand will continue to be stable because stronger graphics and all that, but some games are more fit for consoles (In my and a few other I discussed this with opinion). I look forward to what will happen. A computer today can not likely be up to par with those a year from now, neither will consoles. But consoles will also develop. We´ll just see how it all turns out.

I hope what I said here made my statement clearer. As I mentioned in my original post (The one quoted in OP) this was a discussion for another thread, this one.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue May 28, 2013 4:52 pm

It is all about the money.

Sorry to keep bringing it back to film, but that's just kinda my thing I guess. Still, movies like the True Grit remake, The Master, Spring Breakers and Zero Dark Thirty (all of which were Oscar nominated, except Spring Breakers which just came out this year) probably would have never been made if it weren't for the help of a random billionaire http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2691892/
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Tue May 28, 2013 4:55 pm

I forgot to bring this up. It´s common knowledge that indie games are stronger than ever, that´s the reason Sony made PS4 so accessible for indie-developers. Indie-gaming is now stronger than ever, and better and better games are made every month.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue May 28, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't know what's going to happen. Is gaming dying? (yelp) 3358384175
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Tehdoomgrasp wrote:I forgot to bring this up. It´s common knowledge that indie games are stronger than ever, that´s the reason Sony made PS4 so accessible for indie-developers. Indie-gaming is now stronger than ever, and better and better games are made every month.

Problem I find with indie games is they're not worth the money:

I mean what was that one last year everyone loved.. Journey i think? It was 2 hours long and cost £10.. That's ridiculous imo

If indie games were worth the money, I'd care about them and maybe even buy some, but if they continue to be overpriced (even more so than normal games are) then I won't purchase any
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Tue May 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Tehdoomgrasp wrote:I forgot to bring this up. It´s common knowledge that indie games are stronger than ever, that´s the reason Sony made PS4 so accessible for indie-developers. Indie-gaming is now stronger than ever, and better and better games are made every month.

Problem I find with indie games is they're not worth the money:

I mean what was that one last year everyone loved.. Journey i think? It was 2 hours long and cost £10.. That's ridiculous imo

If indie games were worth the money, I'd care about them and maybe even buy some, but if they continue to be overpriced (even more so than normal games are) then I won't purchase any

The market for indie games are just starting to open up for real. I agree though, myself buying indie games very seldom.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 28, 2013 5:25 pm

yeah for indie games to be viable really they need to be:

• Cheap as chips

• Addictive and fun

• able to be lengthy on the little content they have

• unique and innovative

Problem is, they're not cheap and they don't have a long enough lifespan. Unique and fun? sure, but that's not enough to justify a £10-15 price tag
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 pm

My take: Mobile games are like McDonald's. Cheap and satisfying in a pinch for most. Some people can live off the stuff

Console gaming is like gourmet food. It won't sell as much but it's not going anywhere
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue May 28, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't belive its dying, I belive its quicly becoming the new "bubble". Soon prices will go super high but only because people can afford it. I have a PS3 for 3 years but only 8 games, only because I simply don't have enough money to buy a game per month, plus, we have ridiculous taxes that raises the game costs by at least 50%

Call of duty is a great example (as mentioned) for this. All games are quite the same, but people keep buying them, so the industry will obviously follow this strategy, spending $10 to get $100000 in return
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:My take: Mobile games are like McDonald's. Cheap and satisfying in a pinch for most. Some people can live off the stuff

Console gaming is like gourmet food. It won't sell as much but it's not going anywhere

I agree. I myself only downloaded free cellphone games, but almost all my class friends buy these crap everyday

"Oh look, Angry Birds 40!"

casuls
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Tue May 28, 2013 5:50 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:My take: Mobile games are like McDonald's. Cheap and satisfying in a pinch for most. Some people can live off the stuff

And PC is mid-quality restaurants, it depends.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Tehdoomgrasp wrote:

And MMO's are like the all you can eat buffet chinese with a karaoke bit for the evening
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Encore Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Tehdoomgrasp wrote:

And MMO's are like the all you can eat buffet chinese with a karaoke bit for the evening

Higher power incarnate?
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Guys, are you pretending to be Angry Birds's creator again?
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

>HoMM3 (And 5), Shadow of the Colossus, DkS, FFX, KH2, Sly 2-3, R&C 1-?, DeS and Pokemon emerald still exist. and then all the multiplayer games that i've liked.

I think i can survive if Gaming was to die out. But i demand HD remakes of the old games
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm clueless.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue May 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Gaming as we know it will not die so long as Kickstarter exists.

Everyone thought Adventure Games were dead, then Double Fine proved them wrong. No executive company liked the idea of Torment: Tides of Numenera, but that game got funded in a day. Skullgirls had financial problems, but was able to Indiegogo out of them.

All any of us can do, is hope to god that the companies we like go to Kickstarter when the Publishers we hate give them the boot/go out of business.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I guess i just explain my Pov then .

I play Vidya for a really long time now, i think it started on the SNES so i'm an relatively old rag when it comes to Gaming so now that the Gaming Industrie has changed but my taste for Gaming didn't it's only natural that i get distanced from it .

In fact, as soon as i had to install a Game on my PS3 i knew that things were going in a direction i don't like, and i was already having continually less fun with each generation of Consoles that came out .

I'm not going to buy a new Console, i have plenty of Games to choose from and they're just as good now as they were a few Years ago and i still haven't finished some of them like Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Trigger, Lucky Luke, Secret of Mana and *** Punch Out ! (*** you Heike Kogaro or whatever your name is !!) .

Besides, the only new Console that's coming out is the Wiiu anyway, Sany and Microschrott are making some weird Home computer thing nobody needs .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm