Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Baby_E
SirArchmage
Encore
Slarg232
Dr__Awkward
shadowzninjaz
Acarnatia
11 posters

Is anyone interested in a Dark Souls text-based rp?

Baby_E

Is anyone interested in a Dark Souls text-based rp? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is anyone interested in a Dark Souls text-based rp?

Post by Baby_E Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Loose rules would be best.   I like the direction you laid out above.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Is anyone interested in a Dark Souls text-based rp? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is anyone interested in a Dark Souls text-based rp?

Post by Slarg232 Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm fine with what you have laid out as well. Sorry about late reply, was out of town for a while.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:19 am

It's not that late-it's been at most two days.
    Alright, then. I'm thinking we have 10 be the 'human average' (yes, like in D&D) and each extra/less 1 be and additional/subtractive 10%. Starting scores will range from 7 (70% of the human average) to 15 (150% of the human average) The ability scores being:
    Vitality-HP equals this score
    Strength-determines carrying capacity, strength-based skills and attacking with certain weapons
    Dexterity-determines dodging, dexterity-based skills and attacking with certain weapons
    Intelligence-determines certain magic, intelligenee-based skills
    Attunement-determines perception, channelling magic and attuning to spells
    Faith-determines miracles, faith-based skills
    Charisma-determines appeal to others

What do you think of that?
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 am

I liked that, sounds fine to me.

Really though, I am open to anything.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 am

This sounds pretty good. The stats are balanced, but what about Resistance?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Looks pretty good, Res already did something like this. Playing around with the Dark Souls stats, I mean.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Sounds good, I'm happy playing by all the rules you've laid out so far, and I know a (very) small amount about the D&D rule system so good to go.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:52 pm

There were multiple D&D systems.
    What ResIsBest set up was more along traditional D&D and seemed to be much more combat-focused than this-and this will, at least not initially, take place in Lordran, just the same world and roughly the same time or after.
    As for Resistance, I don't see a way I can implement that well without making the system much more complex. I strongly prefer to not use it in this.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Acarnatia wrote:There were multiple D&D systems.
    What ResIsBest set up was more along traditional D&D and seemed to be much more combat-focused than this-and this will, at least not initially, take place in Lordran, just the same world and roughly the same time or after.
    As for Resistance, I don't see a way I can implement that well without making the system much more complex. I strongly prefer to not use it in this.

Maybe you could add weather and depending on your Resistance, you will resist more harsh weather?
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:36 pm

I think that will be getting too technical, and even then I think it will be more balanced to use vitality rather than an entire other ability score.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am

Alright, so let's get more specific about the setting. Do you guys want to use what I was setting up in the 'Souls in the Dark' thread? It was an interpretation of mine for how the world was going to become after the Dark Lord ending (this was before Dark 2 was announced) for a D&D campaign that didn't get off the ground. It's set up t one hundred years after the Dark Lord defeated Gwyn. He has since turned Lordran into his own nation, a sanctuary for sane undead, a base of operations for his war on the Gods now living on the mainland. As the Lord of Sunlight died, the literal sun lost much of its strength; there are now only roughly four hours of daylight for every twenty four hours. Monsters of all kinds have began crawling out of the woodwork across the world, and the curse of the Darksign is still present. Most of the countryside has been abaondoned, now overgrown with weeds and inhabited by monsters and bandits. Nations have have become a bit more like city-states except in the most secure lands as a res
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:33 am

result of the isolation and decrease in trade. Patches of an eerie, colorless fog seep slowly out of wild, mystical places, bringing with them monsters right out of legend and folklore, ancient, seemingly abondoned dwellings that range ffrom a cave by a lake to a full castle alone in the forest. In the wake of these world-altercations, have less resources to hire mercenaries, which has left many unemployed, have taken to guarding trade caravans or leaving the safety of the city to explore and loot valueables from the abandoned villages or even these wonderous structures seemingly created by the fog (so for players who DO want to sometimes go dungeon-delving, that's an option)
    On the other hand, life goes on, if a little changed, for those who do make their livng by blade and bludgeon. With the long nights has come a surge of ethereal energy throughout the air, which has given rise to new magics and new tools. While still small and uncommon, entirely new trades have appeared of crafting various everyday objec
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

objects and tools. Musicians still play in the taverns and street corners, peddlers still hold stalls on market day,, politicians still plot and farmers still farm-albeit in smaller areas enclosed by stone walls.
    On another note, what of available races? There are several besides human that I think work in the Dark setting.HumansGargoylesGiantsUndead/Hollow. This is more of a category of human, thoughManserpentMindflayer. They were flat-out present in Demon's Souls, and the octopus-things in the Duke's Archives are obviously reminiscent of them.
    Aelf. I really, really love real-life old European folklore, and I think the original folklore elves/aelves (which are pretty different from LOTR elves) will/can fit in well as long as they're depicted accurately. What do you guys think?
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am

Acarnatia wrote:objects and tools. Musicians still play in the taverns and street corners, peddlers still hold stalls on market day,, politicians still plot and farmers still farm-albeit in smaller areas enclosed by stone walls.
    On another note, what of available races? There are several besides human that I think work in the Dark setting.HumansGargoylesGiantsUndead/Hollow. This is more of a category of human, thoughManserpentMindflayer. They were flat-out present in Demon's Souls, and the octopus-things in the Duke's Archives are obviously reminiscent of them.
    Aelf. I really, really love real-life old European folklore, and I think the original folklore elves/aelves (which are pretty different from LOTR elves) will/can fit in well as long as they're depicted accurately. What do you guys think?
    Ok first of all you have great ideas and European tales sound great, a list of races would also be nice, adding bonuses for races and suitable jobs for them would make it even better. thumbs up 
    And about elves, I don't really think that they would fit. But there are so many other things in the Dark Souls universe that can fit!
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Note that folklore aelves were around 3 feet tall, freakishly pale and pale-haired. While frail, (low vitality) they were a little magically gifted. They were more like pale, kindhearted goblins than how most 'standard generic fantasy settings' currently depict them. (powerful human look-alikes with long ears who use bows and live in the woods) I just want to make it clear that I'm talking about the Norse aelves, not the guys from LOTR and WoW.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Note that folklore aelves were around 3 feet tall, freakishly pale and pale-haired. While frail, (low vitality) they were a little magically gifted. They were more like pale, kindhearted goblins than how most 'standard generic fantasy settings' currently depict them. (powerful human look-alikes with long ears who use bows and live in the woods) I just want to make it clear that I'm talking about the Norse aelves, not the guys from LOTR and WoW.
    Well that's better, most elves now are shown as experienced hunters.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah,I know. In old (as in Norse and Celtic old) folklore, yes, the Fair Fold (including things such as aelves) were often found in the wild and in nature and had a deep connection to the natural world, they weren't (most of them) 'nature' obssessed hunters and hippies. Plenty of the Fair Folk were urban, such as the mining ones, from kobolds in Germany to coblenau in Wales, who made their living in old mines. Think of it this way-generic fantasy setting elves are 'green' in the modern political sense and in the sense that green represents forests and nature. Aelves are better thought of as a pale, translucent white, representing frailty, light, goodness and minor magic.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 am

Alright guys, all I'm looking for now before I make a list of feats and skills (and then will be ready to play) is your input on whether or not to use the setting I suggested and races. Post!
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Acarnatia wrote:Alright guys, all I'm looking for now before I make a list of feats and skills (and then will be ready to play) is your input on whether or not to use the setting I suggested and races. Post!
    I'd like to see us playing in the post-Dark Lord ending world.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:12 pm

I am all up for a post- Dark lord ending.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm looking for more than two people to answer that, and so far only Res has commented on the races.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Come on, guys! I want to stop bumping this to get people to respond. If you're going to participate, please update and respond often.
    So, two people have responded yay to my Souls in the Dark setting. Is everyone else okay with that? And what of the races?
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:32 pm

BUUUUMP. Requesting input. I want people to keep track of this, not have me pm them. though I'm about ready to do thatt again.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm sorry about the lack of input on my part but the migraines have really hit me hard these past few days.:mask-mother: 
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

^ Valid reason. It's not just you, though; around ten people have said that they're interested, and only two have been offering anywhere near regular input. This rp will take a greater amount of commitment on a regular basis than what has been shown thus far to work and last.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am