Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers)

Zashi

Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers) Empty Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers)

Post by Zashi Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:56 pm

So I get that every human is a descendent of the furtive pygmy, and that everyone has a piece of humanity, i.e. a piece of the Dark Soul inside them. That's presumably why everyone has the Dark Sign. And that this Dark Sign is why everyone has the undead curse. They can't die and eventually they go hollow.

The wiki says "Undead sacrifices would end for the duration of the age of fire and eventually begin again when your flames start to fade." However...

I still don't get what the Age of Dark is. Aside from gods dying etc., is it an age where the undead curse remains, where everyone is withering and dying? Or is the undead curse gone forever (only acting as an impetus for the Chosen Undead) and it is truly the "Age of Man"? Because on one hand, they make it sound like it's the time when humans rule over themselves, but it's difficult to see that being the Age of Man when everyone is still undead and everything's dying off.

I mean, saying that you "lifted the curse" when you reignite the Age of Fire almost implies that the curse remains during the Age of Dark. So is it the literal Age of Dark where everything is dying, or an Age of "Dark", as in Age of "Dark Souls", as in Age of "Man", and the curse is gone and humanity finally flourishes? Or is it suggesting that man has to rule while still undead cursed (though naming it Age of Man would imply that Man is doing well during said Age)?

TLDR: Age of Dark; is the undead curse still there? Is man flourishing or is it terrible times for humanity?

Last edited by Zashi on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers) Empty Re: Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers)

Post by Dibsville Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Lore-wise, from what we are told, the Dark Age, or the Age of Men, is when the Undead Curse is lifted, and man rules over himself. In general terms, it would basically be how we have it now, man rules over himself and we have religions devoted to either dead gods or imaginary gods.

So to answer your question, the curse is gone.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers) Empty Re: Dark Souls Ending Post-Lore (Spoilers)

Post by ResIsBestStat Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Dibsville wrote:Lore-wise, from what we are told, the Dark Age, or the Age of Men, is when the Undead Curse is lifted, and man rules over himself. In general terms, it would basically be how we have it now, man rules over himself and we have religions devoted to either dead gods or imaginary gods.

What about Kaathe? He might try to make the Abyss return.
    I find the best ending not doing nothing. Without a Dark Lord Kaathe can't manipulate anyone and without the Chosen Undead the First Flame will never be kindled.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:06 pm

ResIsBestStat wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:Lore-wise, from what we are told, the Dark Age, or the Age of Men, is when the Undead Curse is lifted, and man rules over himself. In general terms, it would basically be how we have it now, man rules over himself and we have religions devoted to either dead gods or imaginary gods.

I find the best ending not doing nothing. Without a Dark Lord Kaathe can't manipulate anyone and without the Chosen Undead the First Flame will never be kindled.
    That is what is supposed to happen, we could speculate what happens afterwards all day, but that is generally what we're told will happen.
    Zashi

Post by Zashi Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Hmm thanks for the quick response, that makes sense. It's just so polarizing how they make it sound like the Age of Fire is super good (undead/humanity is saved, gods are healthy, fire to guide the world), while the Age of Dark is super bad (everything's dying, gods are dead). But it also makes sense from a church and God's perspective that to them, the world is dying.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    ResIsBestStat wrote:

That is what is supposed to happen, we could speculate what happens afterwards all day, but that is generally what we're told will happen.

TLDR:

YOU DIED

Is actually the good ending thumbs up!

Maybe I should go speedrun that.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm

If the First Flame is kindled, Undead will no longer appear, until it starts going out again. But if you let it fully go out, the "Undead Curse" might pass by itself, or every human can end up being a Hollow.

The thing is, being Undead can actually be perceived as a good thing. Being Undead means after you 'die', you continue to keep hold of your will. This continues until you are out of humanity / souls and you go Hollow. Let's remember this as we continue.

How did the Undead "Curse" start? It started by the First Flame going out. The Flame empowers Gods. And it's absence empowers Humans. So the Undead Curse might actually just be Humans becoming stronger, becoming immortal, in short, becoming Gods. This also explains why Gods like Gwyndolin wants the Undead Curse to stop, and cults of Gods like Way of the White hunt down the Undead.

The way I see it, there are basicly two polar opposites in the world of Dark Souls. One is the Flame, one is the Dark. The Gods/Silver Knights/Giants etc. are beings of the First Flame, and Humans are beings of the Dark. The Pygmy found the Dark Soul, which IS humanity.

The Gods are Gods, which means beings of ultimate power, in the time we play Dark Souls, just because we play in a time where the Fire still has a stronger presence in the world.

If our character chose the Dark Lord ending at the end of the game, and another Dark Souls game was made which took place a few thousand years later, we could play as a "God" that went through the same journey the Chosen Undead did, only reversed. (In this scenario I am assuming that somehow the Flame started appearing again out of thin air, as it did in the beginning.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm